“Commercial”

Ranked #1 of 7 things to do in Henlow
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Commercial”
Reviewed 28 August 2014

The gardens are beautiful, the conservatory is a haven of tranquility and the pool is enormous BUT I felt like a statistic in a very slick and commercial enterprise structured only to make as much money as possible. Everything is timed and costed to the last penny and the staff just repeat the insincere niceties of the American "have a nice day" variety. My 24 hour stay was relaxing and pleasant but lacked the warmth and personal touches which would have made it really enjoyable and perhaps memorable. I won't go back or recommend it to friends.

4 Thank Sandy K

Bedford, England
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“Mother and Daughters - Top to Toe Day”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We booked this day as a birthday treat for all three of us. Two of us had been a couple of times before so we knew what to expect. We love the atmosphere at Henlow Grange and everything was right up to its usual standards. We started off in the pool - a lovely big pool with plenty of room to have a good swim. Then it was time for the massage and facial, very relaxing and not at all rushed. One of my daughters is 7 months pregnant and she enjoyed her 'Beautiful Bump' massage. During the afternoon we all had the 'luxury pedicure' - also enjoyable and very professionally done. Lunch was excellent as usual, a generous salad buffet with hot options. I took a yoga class - again, a very professional instructor who was very careful of everyone's differing physical conditions. And the girls enjoyed a pilates class. We all took a 'country walk' after lunch - a relaxing experience, not too strenuous! And we managed to find time to sit and relax in the newly decorated conservatory.

Henlow Grange was busier than we've ever seen it - and this was on a Monday - but there is plenty of room for everyone and nowhere did it seem crowded. Even at lunch, there were more than enough tables.

The steam room and sauna were being redecorated at the time of our visit - we were informed in advance and there was no disturbance or noise. Hopefully the pool changing room will be upgraded as well in the near future? It's quite small and a bit shabby.

Maybe a couple of things could be better organised - it's a shame there isn't a bigger area for loungers by the pool. Also, the changing rooms for day visitors are quite small and poky and at the far end from everything else so you have to walk up and down the length of the building quite a lot. But these are minor criticisms - we very much enjoyed our day at Champneys as we always do.

Wymondham, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Peace and tranquility in a lovely spa”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I have visited Henlow several times over the years with friends and have always thoroughly enjoyed my stay. The therapists are friendly and professionally very good (I should know, I am a therapist myself). The atmosphere is very relaxed and it is easy to switch off and enjoy the ambience of the old house and the gorgeous gardens. I know several members of the staff well now and am always made to feel very welcome - the lovely people at Henlow do go out of their way to welcome us, accommodate us and respond to any queries or issues we might (rarely) have.

True, some of the bedrooms are dated but a huge renovation programme is underway at the moment. I was lucky enough to be shown one of the recently refurbished rooms; it was beautiful and very tastefully decorated - so that is something to look forward to seeing completed. All the work being done in the spa's steam room and laconium to upgrade it plus the introduction of a new mixed sauna means the facilities stay high up in my estimation though I do agree with some comments that the keypad lockers often have several out of order - but that to me is a minor niggle. I think the pool is lovely and both it and the jacuzzi were beautifully warm when I was there.

The food is usually excellent - I do have to admit there were a few issues with service this visit due to some staff turnover recently - but once our group expressed our concerns we were treated very professionally and the issues dealt with. The restaurant serves tasteful and healthy food and there is plenty of advice given about balancing the different offerings to suit all sorts of diets. Portions are generous at dinner and the lunches/breakfasts are self service so you can have as much as you want - no danger of going hungry - and if you want a glass of vino you can have one, despite what what the recent TV documentary said!

I LOVE Champneys Henlow and would not want to go anywhere else for my spa breaks.

1 Thank Localyokel2013
lowestoft
“Julie”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Had another lovely stay at Champneys Henlow, my friends and I go twice a year if we can to be pampered and really looked after by all staff ,we really feel like part of the Champneys family .The new decorated rooms are looking fab, can't wait till we go again to also see new Steam room etc big changes at Henlow .

Royston, United Kingdom
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 119 helpful votes
“RELAXING SPA DAY”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

I enjoyed a wonderful spa day yesterday with a friend. On arrival we were warmly greeted by friendly staff. During our stay nothing was to much trouble from all staff. They were extremley helpfull in every way. Lunch & Service in the Restaurant was excellent. We really enjoyed all of our treatments by lovely people.Would have liked to have stayed overnight as we were completely chilled out after our treatments. Maybe a return visit with a stayover is on the cards soon!!!!