“champneys henlow”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Henlow
United Kingdom
“champneys henlow”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

excellent service from the moment we checked in until the moment we checked out. only thing i would comment on is that it is not cheap once you get there as the tea, coffee, soft drinks etc. are very expensive - i.e. £3.50 for a pot of tea and £2.99 for a coffee - very extortunate - would be nice if normal teas and coffess were free of charge as it does work out expensive when you need a drink, other than that overall excellent - would certainly recommend this.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (499)
Newmarket, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I have been several times for a relax day spa with friends and on my own, this time there were three of us with the other two being newbies to Henlow. Must say I always relax as soon as I walk through the door. We had taken advantage of a 2-4-1 deal which included lunch and use of facilities and I always think this is good value although you can soon spend a fortune on treatments and goodies so plan what you want before you go. Treatments were excellent probably the best body massage I have had in a long time and lunch was very good. Always love the sun lounge which has been done up since I visited in October 2013 but something is missing the furniture seemed more sparse and I swear there used to be lovely soft sofas which I fell asleep on most times. Appreciate furniture needs replacing but could we have something similar back. Gardens are glorious and when the weather is right a lovely place to while away some time with a good book, sadly it was not good enough to sit out when we were there. i cannot comment on the rooms or dinner as we did not stay but all in all a lovely way to chill out for a day and the time just flies. Oh yes pool area ceiling needs painting.

Room Tip: check out what others say I did not stay
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
london
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Was looking forward to a luxurious, pampering weekend at Champneys Henlow. The "Champneys" name conjures up images of luxury, excellent service and being well and truly "looked-after", so I was a little disappointed when this was not all so, at Henlow anyway.

Having paid a lot of money for the weekend, I expected the extra "classes" as being included free of charge, only to be told that as they had to get in "external people" to do two of their classes there would be a charge of £5 per class-can't remember which classes now as lost interest once they mentioned the extra charge.
I really feel that Champneys could have footed the bill for these classes as it is not the customer's fault that their "normal" staff were not around that weekend. (There was also a "hidden" comment that unless we book some of the "free" classes for a £3 non-refundable fee, we would not be able to participate if there was a high uptake.I do think this should be a refundable fee and If someone does not turn up for a class then they loose the deposit.)

The dining room service definitely needs to be looked into.There was a lack of glasses for juices, the food trays and bread were taking a long time to be re-filled, the food was tasteless, the rice pudding at lunchtime could have been cooked for longer as there was a bite to the "uncooked" rice, the small portion of sea bass lying on top of cold tagliattele for dinner were all very off-putting. These small things make a lot of difference to the total experience, so I hope the management take some note.

The steam room had an awful "smell".The whole swimming pool area desperately needs revamping.
The rooms were very basic, uncomfortable beds and thin duvets- even a budget "lodge" has better rooms at a fraction of the price.
So did I get value for money?- definitely not, as even if I added up the two treatment costs, accomodation, use of spa facilities and all meals I know I could have got a better experience for that price elsewhere.
The plus point were the beautiful gardens surrounding Henlow Champneys but I know I would not go there again. There are better places for the same, if not less price Champneys- so please do something as customers expect more from your name.

1 Thank sandy90
Hertfordshire
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I was bought a Luxury Spa day at Champneys for my birthday back in January and got round to using this yesterday (Sunday 27th April) at Henlow (as I live locally). I've been here a couple of times before and I must say, it is always a great day here. You'd think that from 9am -6pm would be a very long day to have a few treatments and relax, but believe me the time just flies by. So much to do and treatments to enjoy. My package came with my own room to relax in (when I wanted to) and with several treatments. The package also included lunch - which I must say is just fantastic. There's lots of food selection. Not sure if anyone could complain about the variety or the standard of the food. Fantastic. The treatments are just wonderful. My Packages was
Champneys Personalised Facial (55 minutes),
Champneys Luxury Pedicure (55 minutes),
Body Radiance (55 minutes)
Thalassotherapy pool session (25 minutes),
unlimited use of facilities
access to the classes and buffet lunch
plus a luxurious Champneys gift set (worth £50).
I paid extra for my my nails to be done as I thought this would just finish me off nicely. I have the gel nails that cost £30. I would have preferred a luxury manicure with gel paint, however you have to pay for two different treatments. Luxury manicure £40, Gel Nails £30. As I thought £70 to have my nails done was a little on the steep side, I decided to go for the gel nails. The treatment still includes them to shape your nails and tidy up the cuticles. They look amazing.

I'm not sure how much this package cost, but for me it was well worth every penny that my partner paid for it, because I came home so relaxed. Shame the bubble has to burst and reality hits home. I couldn't recommend this highly enough. Can't wait for my next one :-)

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
South Ockendon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Just had wonderful weekend at Henlow and came away feeling very relaxed. Have been to Tring so thought we would try this one next and have to say we preferred Tring but not because of the service, staff or anything other than in comparison, Henlow is looking a little tired and in need of a revamp. That, however, doesn't detract from the fantastic service and great time we had - including the chats with famous faces!

Milton Keynes
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I had another great stay at Henlow. It really is one of the most relaxing places to go. Not only are the treatments and therapists fantastic, the grounds are also beautiful and a very tranquil place to be. The food is also great and not as some might think in short supply!

• Stayed April 2014
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I have been to Henlow many times but felt I need to give feedback as the place is in decline and I want them to do something about it asap. I had just spent a few days at Springs which I thought had several problems (the whole place looks a tip as cups etc never cleared up, some classes were poor etc although the Manger did listen). I was therefore looking forward to getting back to Henlow but it is getting so tired. I went earlier in the year with my husband (I do not usually frequent health spa's this often!) and could not believe how many lockers were out of action but instead of finding that they had resolved this it had got worse!! We spend half an hour trying to find four lockers that actually worked as we could not check into our rooms! It is utterly inexcusable and I talked to one of the staff who was equally frustrated about it! There is not a huge amount of lockers if they all worked! There were also so many examples of the Company 'penny pinching' - not good for what is supposed to be a quality spa - gone are the miniature champneys products in your bathroom replace with cheap and nasty stuff that no one would use. Gone are the decent products in the changing rooms - I used their shower gel and my skin was not in a good state after - totally dried up. One of the things good about Springs was the care they took over my allergies - each meal time they recognised me and brought me a sheet showing what I could eat - non of this attention to detail at Henlow although some of the individual staff were very good. The food however is great although at busy times there were lots of things missing and not replaced quickly enough. The first exercise class we did was supposed to be Aqua Mitt - they said we had to do Aqua Fit as the gloves were all broken?! Why did they not order more to avoid this happening? In the Laconium several little tiles were missing and it looks scruffy and uncare for. I did have a great time - more to do with the friends I was with - it was their first trip and although they loved it they felt it was a very 'tired' place. Champneys - spend some money on this place before it is too late and your loyal customers desert you!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Henlow
Wyboston Lakes Hotel
#1 of 3 in Letchworth
The Woburn Hotel
The Woburn Hotel
#1 of 3 in Woburn

Been to Champneys Henlow? Share your experiences!