“Birthday present” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Henlow
London, United Kingdom
“Birthday present”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

My friend very kindly bought us a lovely one-night break for my 50th birthday. We arrived at 11am as instructed and unfortunately our room wasn't ready until 2pm. Still, we rested and had a coffee before going on a little tour and then enjoying a massage. The room was ready and our bags left there for us. And we were supplied with a nice dressing gown and flip flops. We then enjoyed a facial which was included in the deal. The place is just beautiful, both the grounds and the building. The food is just to die for! And we could buy wine, which wasn't too expensive and was really nice. And it's about a 10/15 minute walk to the pub if you get desperate! ALL the staff were just wonderful. The room was very comfortable and we both had a good night's sleep. We were due to check out at 11am, but our second free treatment meant being back in the pool at 11am for half an hour and then rest time and change clothes time afterwards. The staff said it was fine, so we checked out at 12.30pm and went one of the pubs in the village for lunch. I would definitely go back as the place is wonderful and a great place to relax and get pampered, but I would choose a 2pm arrival (so your room is ready), and the 4pm departure so you can make the most of the next day also, particularly if you have booked time off work!

Room Tip: We shared room 77 and had a lovely view of the waterfall. It's really expensive, so worth checki...
1 Thank fionaj64

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (484)
Ashford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

I spent a weekend at Champneys Henlow with a friend in April 2014.

On arrival, we were allocated wrong rooms - we had booked river facing rooms, but were given rooms facing the interior courtyard. We were moved quickly when pointing out the mistake and the new rooms were much nicer and quieter. My room was very nice - a huge, fairly comfortable bed, outdoor seating, enough wardrobe space etc. The bathroom was dated, but clean. My friend's room was right next to mine. She was a little unhappy with the housekeeping - the room was not as clean as it should have been. But it was comfortable otherwise.

We had a couple of included spa treatments each and had booked an additional two treatments each before arriving. I tried to book another massage once we'd arrived, but was told that no more treatments were available on the weekend at all. That was quite disappointing - I think Champneys should review its capacity planning and ensure that there are sufficient treatment slots available for all guests, especially on weekends.

The overall quality of our spa treatments was good. I had two massages, both of which were completely relaxing. The included facial was a little pointless - I just don't think the spa therapist who did the facial was as experienced as the other two. I also had a pedicure, which was ok, but nothing special. My friend had a similar experience - two of her therapists were great, two were average.

We also had a Thalassotherapy session included in our package. I was really looking forward to this - until I saw the pool. The Thalassotherapy area is in desperate need of a good clean and some updating. Rusty metal, damp walls and a general feeling of neglect - this needs to be sorted out ASAP.

We also did a couple of gym classes each - these were very, very good and I would highly recommend them.

Our package included breakfast, lunch and dinner, which we really enjoyed. There was ample choice and a good mix of healthy and indulgent food on offer. The waiters and waitresses were friendly and attentive during meal times as well.

The two cafes on site, in the main house and above the pool, were both disappointing. On both days, they were understaffed and we had to wait for a ridiculously long time to order. The coffee we had in the pool cafe was undrinkable - I do not think that the waiter knew how to operate the coffee machine, he seemed really out of his depth and ran around like a headless chicken.

We both got a significant discount (75%) on the break through our health insurance, so we were happy with the spa break. For the price we paid, we had a great time and can forgive the minor flaws that we encountered. However, if we had paid full price, we would have been very disappointed - hence the low mark for 'value for money'.

Room Tip: River view superior rooms are very nice.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
northampton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

First visit to a spa ever so wasnt sure what to expect, staff were all very friendly, treatments were good, food was excellent, I did notice a few cracks in one wall, but it is an old building, surroundings were wonderful, we took a walk on our 1st night (snowdrop walk) and saw, heron, geese ,ducks, rabbits,muncjat deer, and an owl!!, I was surprised to find paper towels in the toilets still being used, not very environmentally friendly, and was annoyed that although so many signs were up saying no mobile phones, people were still using them and at no point did any staff challenge them, we stayed in a superior room (44) with a lovely view of the weir, on the whole we would come again

Room Tip: Any of the 40s all had excellent room
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Welwyn, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

I went here for a spa day with my mum and sister. On the whole we had a great day at henlow. The facilities were good we had no problems getting a seat by the pool or in the restaurant. The gym is a little on the small side however it was not too busty when we used it. Our treatments were really good very relaxing and we enjoyed all of them. They were slightly spread out over the day which meant we did not make it to any of the exercise classes. Food for lunch was good however the café service was very slow there were some new members of staff who just did not seem to know what they were doing and were incapable of multi tasking.

On the whole the place is very nice but I think it could do with a bit of modernisation the steam rooms etc are small and old fashioned compared to some of the newer spas I have been in.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank katie66Uk
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

This weekend I stayed at Henlow Grange for a friend's birthday weekend. This is probably my 4th visit, and I'm sad to say this was my most disappointing one.
Over the years, Henlow Grange has been known for being a true health farm, one which offers great spa treatments, healthy food and good exercise options.
Whilst there is elements of the above, I must say that it has gone downhill quite considerably since my last visit.
My first observation is that there is a severe lack of water in the house. Being a health farm, you'd think there'd be water available to you at all times. Sadly this is not the case as there's just a few water fountains to drink from (without cups) dotted around. One of our party was 8 months pregnant and this was a huge concern for her. This also was a problem when doing any exercise classes as you have to leave the classese midway through to go and get water!!
Secondly, being a health farm you'd expect the food to all be healthy. It was (well apart from the roast on Sunday) however there are no ingredients shown beside the food within the buffet. So if you were a vegan, you wouldn't know what you were eating and if you asked the staff they were none the wise either!!
At breakfast, they also didn't serve any eggs (despite it being an inclusive on the menu) so no dairy free protein option was offered! And when asking for the chef to cook me one, I was abruptly told no!

On a positive note, the complimentary treatments were good, and the options of other treatments on offer were plentiful.

I just wonder though, with all the other spas opening now, has Henlow Grange had it's day?

Isle of Man, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

excellent service from the moment we checked in until the moment we checked out. only thing i would comment on is that it is not cheap once you get there as the tea, coffee, soft drinks etc. are very expensive - i.e. £3.50 for a pot of tea and £2.99 for a coffee - very extortunate - would be nice if normal teas and coffess were free of charge as it does work out expensive when you need a drink, other than that overall excellent - would certainly recommend this.

Newmarket, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

I have been several times for a relax day spa with friends and on my own, this time there were three of us with the other two being newbies to Henlow. Must say I always relax as soon as I walk through the door. We had taken advantage of a 2-4-1 deal which included lunch and use of facilities and I always think this is good value although you can soon spend a fortune on treatments and goodies so plan what you want before you go. Treatments were excellent probably the best body massage I have had in a long time and lunch was very good. Always love the sun lounge which has been done up since I visited in October 2013 but something is missing the furniture seemed more sparse and I swear there used to be lovely soft sofas which I fell asleep on most times. Appreciate furniture needs replacing but could we have something similar back. Gardens are glorious and when the weather is right a lovely place to while away some time with a good book, sadly it was not good enough to sit out when we were there. i cannot comment on the rooms or dinner as we did not stay but all in all a lovely way to chill out for a day and the time just flies. Oh yes pool area ceiling needs painting.

Room Tip: check out what others say I did not stay
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Henlow
Wyboston Lakes Hotel
Mercure Letchworth Hall
Mercure Letchworth Hall
#1 of 3 in Letchworth
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,174 reviews

Been to Champneys Henlow? Share your experiences!