2,103 results
All reviewsexercise classesthalassotherapy poolhealth spabreakfast and lunchhealthy foodtreatment areamy mumsun loungersstandard roomrelaxing breaknight breakspecial offerrestaurant staffbirthday treatlovely groundsthalassotherapy sessionloyalty voucher
Reviewed 3 June 2014

CHAMPNEYS HENLOW is like a 'comfortable, well upholstered yet familiar old armchair' ie. somewhere to return to when you need to feel safe, comforted and well looked after. Ten of us had an incredibly relaxing experience this week. The staff, the treatments, the fitness programme, the beautiful pool area, the stunning rural surroundings are all superb. There is an ever-changing, broad menu at lunch [a buffet] and dinner [a choice of five dishes in each course]. The Cuisine is exceptional and beautifully presented - all compliments to the Chef - and delivered with a smile from wonderfully personable and attentive staff. The first floor standard bedrooms are good value for money and the Superior Rooms on the ground floor have patio and seating areas overlooking the stunning Weir. Don't accept Room 14 or 15 - they are away from the main bedrooms up a narrow staircase with no hall area and have vaulted ceilings. They have no Wi-Fi. One member of my party was allocated one of these rooms and it smelt of damp. Housekeeping came in and left a room spray to remove the smell. It didn't work and she was immediately allocated another room. So Staff are very attentive and really want to ensure a peaceful and relaxing stay. It is a shame that the decor lets Champneys Henlow down [not enough, however, to deter me from going at least twice a year with my friends - sometimes 20 of us]. The ongoing painting and refurbishment programme continues so everywhere is clean but it looks so dated and bland appearing twenty years behind the times even though the areas are recently refurbished. Henlow needs the benefit of an interior designer, not to change its essential charm but to update and brighten the green/beige theme and remove the insipid corridor and bedroom wall paper. The refurbed bathrooms with their appalling lighting and beige square tiles add to the lacklustre appearance. Nonetheless, I would highly recommend

Room Tip: I wouldnt recommend Room 14 or 15. They are tucked away up a small stairway in the Treatment Spa area and are small, damp and in the rafters. All other rooms great, particularly the rooms overlooking the weir either first floor Standard or if you prefer a Patio, ask for Ground Floor
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Rachel N
Rosina E, Manager at Champneys Henlow, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Dear Guest,

May I thank you for taking the time to review you and your friends recent stay with us at Champneys Henlow.

I am pleased to hear that you all were able to relax and enjoy both the internal and external facilities set amongst the tranquil setting that is Champneys Henlow.

I have passed your feedback onto our Head Chef and kitchen brigade as the quality of our food offerings is something we take great pride in ensuring our guests have a wide range of healthy nutritional meal choices at all meal times.

We are currently refurbishing out rooms under the direction of a newly appointed Project Manager who has several years experience within developing 5 star Spa and Hotel Resorts which will ensure we have first class furnishings not only in the bedrooms but also in our public area's.

I look forward to welcoming you all back to Champneys Henlow in the near future.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

My mum, sister and I visit Champneys every year for a weekend to celebrate our birthdays and have some relaxing time together. It never fails to do the trick! This is a lovely place in lovely grounds, the buildings are quite old and characteristic. The spa is good, the pool is lovely, all facilities are good (the gym is quite basic but it does the job). There are lots of classes to try, the treatments are expensive but very enjoyable. Food is DELICIOUS and super healthy too! We will continue to return every year. Our favourite triple room is room 8, comfy and spacious!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review regarding your yearly visit with us as family to Champneys Henlow.

I am pleased that you continue you visit us every year and enjoy the facilities both internally and externally we have to offer. Please be assured your very kind feedback will be shared with the entire team here as this provides us with a great morale boost and drives us as a team to constantly exceed our guests expectations.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Champneys Henlow next year.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Champneys is another wonder of the area. Its location is wonderfully weird, set behind a cricket field (small public park) that is surrounded by rows of bungalows, and the bulls, sheep, goats and squirrels. In short it was once all to itself and someone built housing and roads near it. However it is tranquil. There appears to be dozens of ways to get things done to you, pampering, preening, make-up regimens and... I'm a bloke with no real idea what you can get done in Champneys but there are lotions and potions everywhere and chairs for feet work and... well I don't know what. You can pound the treadmills too, however if you do I kinda feel you're missing the point. Its about relaxation stupid (to mis-quote a president). The rooms are nice and clean, however my bedding had dried in make-up stains on it, which was disappointing. The staff were welcoming, warm and friendly and when I inquired about "the bar" I was bemusedly told, "there isn't one". Yep, its a health spa but my simple mind expected choice of how much health to partake of. At least there's wine on offer with lunch and dinner. Water is one of their freebies. Bottled water in the room, in fridges and laid around. My room had a view of a waterfall, which although lovely to see was a little annoying at night. Room was too warm and if I opened windows I heard fast flowing waterfall which despite the romantic idea of it sounded passably like an extractor fan or central heating system. I got three days at a special rate, for me it was great VFM and although I'd like to stay there again I might give it a while due to its out of the way location, which is good for relaxation but not so good for travel. When I do stay again, I'll take advantage of a tour from the staff, so I'll know more of what's on offer. A notice in the hotel recommends to give local taxi firms MINIMUM of two hours notice for pickups from the site.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

May I thank you for taking the time in reviewing your recent stay with us at Champneys Henlow.

We offer a wide variety of facilities here at Champneys Henlow for guests who may want to indulge themselves into one of extensive treatments or partake in our FItness programmes. However what we offer for all our guests is a tranquil setting allowing our guests who wish just to relax and enjoy the peace and quiet.

I will follow up your disappointing feedback regarding your bed cover and ensure that this does not happen in the future as all our bed linen is changed daily.

We do clearly market ourselves as a Health Resort and not a standard hotel, on our website clear information is given about this and what exactly we do offer and as such we do not have a bar facility but do offer wine with lunch and dinner.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Champneys Henlow and please do avail yourself of a full tour of facilities which is provided by our staff daily so that you can maximise the usage of the full facilities we have on offer here.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

I went to Champneys Henlow yesterday and I had the best time ever, talk about being pampered. You are made to feel like royalty from the moment you walk in to the second you leave. The staff are excellent and very knowledgeable and I would definately go again

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Rachelle J
Reviewed 21 May 2014

No more lettuce leaf and glass of water! The food was superb and choice of wine excellent too This was my first visit of the year and nice to see some new faces in the fitness team who look to be excellent additions to the already great team. The staff within the resort are always friendly and nothing is too much for them. Can't wait to retun in July for another few days rest, relaxation in wonderful surroundings.

Room Tip: I love the rooms overlooking the weir. The sound of water in the silence of the night is very restful.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo