“Disappointing”
Review of Champneys Henlow

Champneys Henlow
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Henlow
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Food and staff are very good but they are let down by the very poor accommodation. It is very tired looking with very poor standard of maintenance. We were horrified to find our room ( superior with views of the weir) infested with Mosquitos. We were told they don't bite - this is not true.
If you are coming here don't bother to pay the extra for a superior room and bring some fly spray with you.
Day 1 - not very relaxing so far, hoping day 2 will be better

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank CE4562
Rosina E, Manager at Champneys Henlow, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time in reviewing your recent stay with us at Champneys Henlow.

As you maybe aware we have commenced with a refurbishment programme of the Resort including areas such as Bedrooms and public areas in order for us to offer enhanced relaxing and invigorating surrounding's to our guests.

We provide notices in all our rooms that overlook the Weir with regards to the mosquitos advising to keep windows and French doors closed of an evening as we take all pro active precautions possible but due to the countryside location of the Resort we are surrounded by nature.

Thank you again for your review and I do hope that we have the opportunity to reverse your opinion of Champneys Henlow in the future.

Rosina

Write a ReviewReviews (1,892)

Reviewed 13 June 2014

Just visited for the night and read a load of reviews on here before we left. We saw lots about tired rooms and decor, plenty about scaffolding and a bit about the expense but decided to ignore it all and go anyway. Well, we should have listened! Arrived, got to the room and it was like the bat cave due to the massive scaffold boards outside the window blocking out the sun. So we had a moan up and was told by reception that the staff don't get told when the scaffolding will go up so it's impossible to pre warn guests. Anyway we wanted out of the cave so switched to another room, much better! Maybe they should fill the free rooms that don't have scaffolding outside first. That seems like a simple solution.

As for the rest of the break, it's great, but not luxury enough. I've been to cheaper spas that have free fruit on every corner, ice water in abundance and staff that bend over backwards to help. At Champneys we had to hunt down the water, and even then it was a schoolyard fountain type deal, never found the fruit, and found most of the staff, accept restaurant, to be rather icey. They say the usual things, but you can tell they don't mean them. For £500 a night, I want real smiles :)

Lastly, yes the place is looking tired, and the current refurb doesn't look like its gonna touch the sides, for a while at least. Stained carpets, travelodge-esque bathrooms and 10 million dead gnats. Literally our room ceiling was like an upsidedown gnat morgue, without little sheets to cover them up.

Quick roundup of positives: treatments, amazing!!! The grounds, amazing!!! The food, decent.

Room Tip: Get wier view
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Greg E
Rosina E, Manager at Champneys Henlow, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, my apologies that certain aspects of your stay were not up to the high standards we pride ourselves on and indeed deliver on a consistent basis.

I have investigated the allocating of bedrooms that currently have scaffolding erected which I am pleased to advise are to a minimum number. I have also spoken with the Project Manager overseeing the programme of works for both internal and external refurbishments which will be completed later this year and our Front of House team are now aware of any scaffolding etc outside of rooms.

As a Health Resort we offer free chilled Spring Water in all area's however we do not offer free fruit due to the nature of our business and brand a Health Resort and also due to the high sugar, acids and such contents and as many of our guests stay with us for dedicated programmes of health and fitness this would be detrimental to there regimes and programmes.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

We have visited other Champney's Spa's and always had a really great time,but I got my wife to try Henlow Grange, and as we arrived we felt very much at home,the first impression from the staff was so friendly, they were checking us in and we were offered a coffee which was really nice. The whole place was friendly and polite. The food was first class and staff were really great. My wife said to me after a couple of days that she really liked it there, and would always go back. The treatments were good. We were offered on our departure a Loyalty voucher to come back and we purchased one for another visit, that says it all to me.

Room Tip: I did not see other rooms but we paid for superior room and it was good
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tony C

Dear Guest,

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your well earned break at Champneys Henlow,

I will pass on your kind comments concerning the treatments and quality of food to the Spa and Kitchen teams.

I too look forward to welcoming you back to Champneys Henlow again in the near future.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

My second visit to this resort. I went with my sister for a birthday pamper, one night package. We were upgraded to a room in the main house which was soooo lovely, we didn't move from it for the rest of the day, except for our treatments. The setting is beautiful. Try the walks, which are easy, but you feel like you're on your own in the woods. Book your meals asap, Henlow is smaller than Tring, and popular mealtimes (7.30) get booked up quickly. Food was wonderful. Loads to eat and top quality. As always my treatments were wonderful, the complimentary facial was fabulous. Last time I came there were lots of refurbishments going in. The conservatory is now open, and gorgeous. The sauna is up and running. The steam room is still out of order. We pressed the emergency call button by mistake,thinking it was the light switch, as there was no sign saying it was Out of Order, but we were in the dark!
I cant wait to go again - I wish I could live there!!!!

Room Tip: superior weir view - cant be beaten, even by room in the house!
1  Thank cate j

Dear Guest,

Firstly thank you for taking the time in reviewing your recent 1 night stay with us at Champneys Henlow. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to relax and unwind during your time with us whilst enjoying some wonderful food and being looked after by the team here.

As you aware our refurbishment has commenced and we have recently re opened our conservatory which is a very popular relaxing area.

Once again many thanks and I look forward to welcoming you back to Champneys Henlow in the near future.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

I have been visiting Henlow for the past 17 years and have always been very happy this last visit has lived up to my expectations.
Had some problems with my original room bit that was soon sorted and I was able to move into another room.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the weir.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay with us at , it is great to receive feedback from a regular guest who knows the resort so well and is able to provide such an accurate overview of Champneys Henlow.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

I first went to Henlow Grange by chance 5 years ago and since then have been returning up to 4 times a year for a long weekend. Speaks for itself! So relaxing, fabulous healthy food, fab swimming pool and treatments, courteous and pleasant staff, clean, sparkling, efficient, wonderful grounds, lovely lake and wildlife and grounds - flowers at all times of the year. Local pubs and shops (if you need them!) Watch out for the cheeky black squirrel in the grounds - very sweet! And the Snowdrop Walk in the grounds. Best of all, no children..................

Room Tip: Ask to look out over the waterfall.
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We visit Henlow quite often as it is the nearest to us and we love everything about it but I was a little disappointed with a few things this time. They are in the middle of refurbishments and there was scaffolding in some places but it did not affect us at all. I asked for a room opposite the weir which we got but the rooms are looking "tired" - I had to go to reception and tell them the mattress was awful and I could not sleep another night on it. There was no apology but a mattress topper was promptly put on which was more comfortable. There was mould appearing in the corner of the bathroom and having a shower was not brilliant as the wet shower curtain sticks to your wet body. The tap was leaking also.
The food was excellent, the treatments too and the staff were very attentive. Hopefully once the refurbishments have been completed Champneys will be back to its high standards.

Dear Guest,

May I thank you for taking the time in reviewing your recent stay with us at Champneys Henlow.

I do apologise that certain aspects of your stay were not up to the high standards we pride ourselves on and indeed deliver on a consistent basis. However I am very confident that as a regular patron of Champneys you will be pleased with the refurbishment programme we are carrying out both internally and externally that encompass bedrooms and the en suite bathrooms.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Champneys Henlow again in the near future.

Rosina

Also consider these accommodations in or near Henlow
The Waterfront Hotel, Spa & Golf
#1 of 2 in Biggleswade
Bedford Swan Hotel
Bedford Swan Hotel
#8 of 18 in Bedford

Been to Champneys Henlow? Share your experiences!