2,119 results
All reviews exercise classes health spa thalassotherapy pool breakfast and lunch healthy food treatment area my mum sun loungers standard room relaxing break night break special offer restaurant staff birthday treat lovely grounds thalassotherapy session loyalty voucher
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I hadn't read any reviews, this was a surprise treat arranged by my other half. The first impression of the building is lovely and the grounds are equally attractive. We checked in and as soon as you leave reception, it goes downhill. Our room was very disappointing and had scaffolding round the French doors - there was garden furniture on our patio area, but it was covered in leaves and spiders webs. (Luxury???). There were loads of creepy crawlies and flying insects in our room. We woke at 3am with the TV on/off button flashing red and green, Mr S had to get up and hunt down the plug to switch off at the mains. (Resulting in much muttering from Mr S!). The bath didn't drain and there didn't seem to be an extractor fan to help defog the mirror.
The food was ok, but nothing to write home about. The coffee at breakfast was unbelievably foul. I took one sip and left the rest.
There are loads of photos of celebrities who have stayed there in the distant last (I,e. Black and white photos of people many of whom have long since expired), but there are no recent photos.
It's trading on its name and past glories, but it has failed to keep up standards.

Room Tip: Ask for one that doesn't have scaffolding (avoid room 54)
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Karenina_J
Rosina E, Manager at Champneys Henlow, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Your comments regarding the food are especially disappointing because as you can see from the vast majority of other reviews the team here get consistently positive feedback and although has a Health Resort we provide flavoursome nutritional healthy food I do understand this is not to everyone's liking.

We do have notices in all rooms that have the benefit of French Doors advising that as we are located within the countryside it is to be expected that flying insects and such will be visible and to keep the doors closed of an evening as we can only take limited pro active steps against the natural surroundings.

Thank you again for your review and I do hop that we have the opportunity to reverse your opinion of Champneys Henlow in the future.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Oh dear - we have been going to henlow for about 15 years and round echo a lot if the things here. The positives are of course we would rather be here than at work etc but:
Lockers - loads not working
Towels - not available, over flowing dirty ones
Showers / no lights, cheap n nasty products (why? If you put champneys ones in there people might go and but them?!)
Menu - limited
Breakfast - service a disaster
Treatments - pricey and limited availability
Housekeeping - fag butts on patio - yuck!!
Coffee etc - so expensive £3 for a filter coffee ...

Not massively good value - invest in better staff and the faded facilities please!

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Sam C
Rosina E, Manager at Champneys Henlow, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, my apologies that certain aspects of your stay were not up to the high standards we pride ourselves on and indeed deliver on a consistent basis. With regards to the Treatments and as a regular visitor you will be aware that all our specialist treatments including Champneys, Decleor and Elemis have and will remain at very competitive prices allowing all our guests to avail of them. With regards to availability we do suggest that guests once having made there reservation contact our experienced Scheduling Team to discuss treatments / therapies and book accordingly as availability on the day maybe restricted due to the high popularity of treatments.

I will discuss with our Housekeeping Manager the situation regarding the availability of clean towels as to ensure this delay is not experienced by our guests again. The lockers and changing areas are area's to be included in our refurbishment programme to commence after the summer period.

I am disappointed with your comments on our limited menu as this always receives such commendable feedback as we offer a variety of hot and cold items all of a high quality and beneficial from a health point of view.

Thank you again for your review and I do hope that we have the opportunity to reverse your opinion of Champneys Henlow in the future.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

Food and staff are very good but they are let down by the very poor accommodation. It is very tired looking with very poor standard of maintenance. We were horrified to find our room ( superior with views of the weir) infested with Mosquitos. We were told they don't bite - this is not true.
If you are coming here don't bother to pay the extra for a superior room and bring some fly spray with you.
Day 1 - not very relaxing so far, hoping day 2 will be better

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank CE4562

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time in reviewing your recent stay with us at Champneys Henlow.

As you maybe aware we have commenced with a refurbishment programme of the Resort including areas such as Bedrooms and public areas in order for us to offer enhanced relaxing and invigorating surrounding's to our guests.

We provide notices in all our rooms that overlook the Weir with regards to the mosquitos advising to keep windows and French doors closed of an evening as we take all pro active precautions possible but due to the countryside location of the Resort we are surrounded by nature.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

Just visited for the night and read a load of reviews on here before we left. We saw lots about tired rooms and decor, plenty about scaffolding and a bit about the expense but decided to ignore it all and go anyway. Well, we should have listened! Arrived, got to the room and it was like the bat cave due to the massive scaffold boards outside the window blocking out the sun. So we had a moan up and was told by reception that the staff don't get told when the scaffolding will go up so it's impossible to pre warn guests. Anyway we wanted out of the cave so switched to another room, much better! Maybe they should fill the free rooms that don't have scaffolding outside first. That seems like a simple solution.

As for the rest of the break, it's great, but not luxury enough. I've been to cheaper spas that have free fruit on every corner, ice water in abundance and staff that bend over backwards to help. At Champneys we had to hunt down the water, and even then it was a schoolyard fountain type deal, never found the fruit, and found most of the staff, accept restaurant, to be rather icey. They say the usual things, but you can tell they don't mean them. For £500 a night, I want real smiles :)

Lastly, yes the place is looking tired, and the current refurb doesn't look like its gonna touch the sides, for a while at least. Stained carpets, travelodge-esque bathrooms and 10 million dead gnats. Literally our room ceiling was like an upsidedown gnat morgue, without little sheets to cover them up.

Quick roundup of positives: treatments, amazing!!! The grounds, amazing!!! The food, decent.

Room Tip: Get wier view
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Greg E

Dear Guest,

I have investigated the allocating of bedrooms that currently have scaffolding erected which I am pleased to advise are to a minimum number. I have also spoken with the Project Manager overseeing the programme of works for both internal and external refurbishments which will be completed later this year and our Front of House team are now aware of any scaffolding etc outside of rooms.

As a Health Resort we offer free chilled Spring Water in all area's however we do not offer free fruit due to the nature of our business and brand a Health Resort and also due to the high sugar, acids and such contents and as many of our guests stay with us for dedicated programmes of health and fitness this would be detrimental to there regimes and programmes.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

We have visited other Champney's Spa's and always had a really great time,but I got my wife to try Henlow Grange, and as we arrived we felt very much at home,the first impression from the staff was so friendly, they were checking us in and we were offered a coffee which was really nice. The whole place was friendly and polite. The food was first class and staff were really great. My wife said to me after a couple of days that she really liked it there, and would always go back. The treatments were good. We were offered on our departure a Loyalty voucher to come back and we purchased one for another visit, that says it all to me.

Room Tip: I did not see other rooms but we paid for superior room and it was good
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tony C

Dear Guest,

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your well earned break at Champneys Henlow,

I will pass on your kind comments concerning the treatments and quality of food to the Spa and Kitchen teams.

I too look forward to welcoming you back to Champneys Henlow again in the near future.