2,133 results
All reviews exercise classes thalassotherapy pool health spa breakfast and lunch healthy food treatment area my mum sun loungers standard room relaxing break night break special offer restaurant staff birthday treat lovely grounds thalassotherapy session loyalty voucher
Reviewed 21 June 2014

This was the second time that I had visited Champneys Henlow. I am still very impressed with how nice the staff are.
I was disappointed that they still haven't updated the lockers . You have to type in a code to get your things out and it is very easy to mistakenly put the wrong code in thus the locker jamming. I was also surprised how many of the resident gym members knew the master code to unlock the lockers making it very insecure to leave valuables.
The place is clean and spa very efficient. there is a great selection of healthy food available.
The shop was closed due to staff shortage, so I guess that saved ME money ?!

2  Thank 358caroline
Rosina E, Manager at Champneys Henlow, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us at Champneys Henlow.

I do apologise for the inconvenience caused with our lockers however I am pleased that with our refurbishment programme commencing after the summer period this is an area our Project Manager is looking at.

With regards to gym members knowing the master code for the lockers I have investigated this along with our Security Manager who has advised that it is Champneys Managers who are members of the gym that assist when a guest has an issue.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future to Champneys Henlow.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

This was my second visit to Champneys Henlow, after a break of nine years. I was wondering what to expect, after the reviews seemed to suggest that the standards had dropped. Well, I've come to the conclusion that maybe I'm just not that fussy, or perhaps I have different priorities to other people. For me, the most important things are having friendly staff, nice food and good facilities, and in this respect I had no complaints. Life is too short to worry about a slightly worn carpet or a bit of peeling paint. When we arrived, we were greeted straightaway and shown to a drawing room with our welcome pack to complete our details. They obviously do need to work on their admin, as they still had my old address and had not got us down for the correct treatments, despite my having emailed them. However, it was easily sorted after a quick trip to the spa reception - in fact, we were able to arrange more convenient times, so it actually worked in our favour! We also received a complementary upgrade to a superior room, due to the renovation work that everyone keeps mentioning. While we saw a little bit of scaffolding, it in no way affected our stay. Our room was very nice - we had a little table and chairs on a patio outside, overlooking the weir. Yes, we had some mosquitoes, but if you leave the windows open in the summer, what do you expect? There was a warning notice in the room about this - I'm not sure what else Champneys can do! We had a flat screen TV, DVD player, tea and coffee facilities, hairdryer, Champneys toiletries, a rain mac, a robe and flip-flops (which you can take home). The beds were comfy and the room was clean. If I was trying to be picky, the carpet was a bit old and one of the curtain rods (for closing them) was missing - were we bothered?! The food was delicious and healthy to boot, and we had no problems being seated or brought our drinks - the staff were efficient and friendly. The spa facilities were good; there were a few broken lockers, but we never had problems finding empty ones, and there were plenty of towels. There is a laconium, a steam room, a sauna and a 25m pool (which could have done with being a bit warmer). There are only 5 showers and 2 changing rooms but, again, we never had to wait for these. Despite it being a weekend, we had no problems booking in for classes, of which there were loads to choose from. You have to pay £3 to book in advance, but they are free if you book on the day. We had two treatments each, which were lovely, and a thalassotherapy session, which was good fun. There are plenty of sun beds around the pool, sun loungers outside and some lovely relaxing areas inside, so there are plenty of places to go if you'd just like to chill out for a while. The grounds are beautiful and huge, and there is a nature walk you can do at one end of the grounds. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly, and really couldn't do enough for you. We were given a personal tour of the facilities and, when we were seen carrying bags, everybody offered to help, from cleaners to fitness staff and waiters! We had another small problem on checking out, where we were charged for a bottle of wine instead of a glass - again, this was easily fixed, and we ended up getting the glass free! Overall, the only problem we had was that there simply wasn't enough time to do everything we wanted - next time, I'd like at least a week, please!

3  Thank HolidayObsessive1
Rosina E, Manager at Champneys Henlow, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Firstly may I thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at Champneys Henlow.

You will be pleased to hear that we have extensive refurbishment plans starting after the summer which will culminate in our bedrooms being refurbished along with the public areas which will provide more wonderful relaxing surroundings in which to relax and invigorate themselves. With regards to the light works that are currently taking place we carefully ensure that the level of disruption is kept to an minimum allowing our guests to enjoy there stay which is our ultimate goal.

Your comments regarding the resort, team, food and facilities are very pleasing to hear and I will certainly pass your comments onto the team as feedback such as this only motivates us to keep up our standards and ensure that all guests are looked after in such a manner whilst here.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Champneys Henlow in the near future.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

I hadn't read any reviews, this was a surprise treat arranged by my other half. The first impression of the building is lovely and the grounds are equally attractive. We checked in and as soon as you leave reception, it goes downhill. Our room was very disappointing and had scaffolding round the French doors - there was garden furniture on our patio area, but it was covered in leaves and spiders webs. (Luxury???). There were loads of creepy crawlies and flying insects in our room. We woke at 3am with the TV on/off button flashing red and green, Mr S had to get up and hunt down the plug to switch off at the mains. (Resulting in much muttering from Mr S!). The bath didn't drain and there didn't seem to be an extractor fan to help defog the mirror.
The food was ok, but nothing to write home about. The coffee at breakfast was unbelievably foul. I took one sip and left the rest.
There are loads of photos of celebrities who have stayed there in the distant last (I,e. Black and white photos of people many of whom have long since expired), but there are no recent photos.
It's trading on its name and past glories, but it has failed to keep up standards.

Room Tip: Ask for one that doesn't have scaffolding (avoid room 54)
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Karenina_J

Dear Guest,

Your comments regarding the food are especially disappointing because as you can see from the vast majority of other reviews the team here get consistently positive feedback and although has a Health Resort we provide flavoursome nutritional healthy food I do understand this is not to everyone's liking.

We do have notices in all rooms that have the benefit of French Doors advising that as we are located within the countryside it is to be expected that flying insects and such will be visible and to keep the doors closed of an evening as we can only take limited pro active steps against the natural surroundings.

Thank you again for your review and I do hop that we have the opportunity to reverse your opinion of Champneys Henlow in the future.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Oh dear - we have been going to henlow for about 15 years and round echo a lot if the things here. The positives are of course we would rather be here than at work etc but:
Lockers - loads not working
Towels - not available, over flowing dirty ones
Showers / no lights, cheap n nasty products (why? If you put champneys ones in there people might go and but them?!)
Menu - limited
Breakfast - service a disaster
Treatments - pricey and limited availability
Housekeeping - fag butts on patio - yuck!!
Coffee etc - so expensive £3 for a filter coffee ...

Not massively good value - invest in better staff and the faded facilities please!

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Sam C

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, my apologies that certain aspects of your stay were not up to the high standards we pride ourselves on and indeed deliver on a consistent basis. With regards to the Treatments and as a regular visitor you will be aware that all our specialist treatments including Champneys, Decleor and Elemis have and will remain at very competitive prices allowing all our guests to avail of them. With regards to availability we do suggest that guests once having made there reservation contact our experienced Scheduling Team to discuss treatments / therapies and book accordingly as availability on the day maybe restricted due to the high popularity of treatments.

I will discuss with our Housekeeping Manager the situation regarding the availability of clean towels as to ensure this delay is not experienced by our guests again. The lockers and changing areas are area's to be included in our refurbishment programme to commence after the summer period.

I am disappointed with your comments on our limited menu as this always receives such commendable feedback as we offer a variety of hot and cold items all of a high quality and beneficial from a health point of view.

Thank you again for your review and I do hope that we have the opportunity to reverse your opinion of Champneys Henlow in the future.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

Food and staff are very good but they are let down by the very poor accommodation. It is very tired looking with very poor standard of maintenance. We were horrified to find our room ( superior with views of the weir) infested with Mosquitos. We were told they don't bite - this is not true.
If you are coming here don't bother to pay the extra for a superior room and bring some fly spray with you.
Day 1 - not very relaxing so far, hoping day 2 will be better

4  Thank CE4562

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time in reviewing your recent stay with us at Champneys Henlow.

As you maybe aware we have commenced with a refurbishment programme of the Resort including areas such as Bedrooms and public areas in order for us to offer enhanced relaxing and invigorating surrounding's to our guests.

We provide notices in all our rooms that overlook the Weir with regards to the mosquitos advising to keep windows and French doors closed of an evening as we take all pro active precautions possible but due to the countryside location of the Resort we are surrounded by nature.