“Excellent stay - so relaxing”
Review of Champneys Henlow

Champneys Henlow
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Henlow
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent stay - so relaxing”
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 1 night on Sat 19th July with a friend and had such a lovely time.

Every single member of staff we dealt with or even passed in the corridor was so friendly and helpful, find it really difficult to understand how other people have had such a different experience.

Room was great, very comfortable beds.

Some areas could do with a lick of paint inside but the grounds are beautiful - definitely a must to take a walk around them.

Treatments were great although definitely book extra treatments in advance if you want them as they were almost fully booked.

Finally - the food was absolutely delicious.

Really don't have anything negative to say - will definitely be back.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Kate L
Will S, Group Operations Manager at Champneys Henlow, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Thank you so much for your positive review following your recent break with us at Champneys Henlow. I am so pleased that you and your friendly thoroughly enjoyed our resort and found your room to be of good standard, in particular the comfortable beds. I am glad that all our team made such an upbeat impression upon you both with their friendly and helpful nature. I am thrilled that you appreciated a peaceful walk in our stunning grounds and that you found your treatments to be just the ticket. I am pleased you enjoyed your meals with us also and are planning to return soon; I look forward to welcoming you back when you do.

William Simmonds

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (499)
Somerset, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Called prior to my stay to ask a few questions regarding my stay. Very curt staff with little information, however as I had pre paid and needed to make the journey I carried on regardless. Arrived at the hotel and read the Check is closed sign, asked a waiter wher I could check in he ignored me. I worked it out for my self. Check in under way. The reception soon realised I was not here to spend boundless amount's of money in the Spa as this was just an over night trip to the area. She soon give us short shrift.. No baggage assistance, no room directions, no hotel information. Just sign here . So we eventually find our room. The Hotel its self looked well equipped and Beauty treatments ETC seemed fantastic. In the room no WIFI connection. and obvious signs of poor house keeping in a newly refurbished room. What a shame. A little tip on a Zip and Link bed use a mattress topper as the ridge is very uncomfortable and gives a poor quality of sleep . In a hotel of this standard this must be an essential surely? Breakfast ... Well I know this is a health resort but poor quality coffee and soggy fruit not what I was expecting. Full English I was not expecting but a quality healthy breakfast Yes with table service on white linen not plastic coated table cloths. All in all a lot of money even on a cheap booking for poor quality. Right down to breakfast cutlery being dropped on the floor then picked up and placed on the table as a set up and robes blocking fire escapes over night.
All in all a bit worrying really !

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jossSurry
Thank you very much for your constructive feedback following your recent stopover trip to us at Champneys Henlow. I am most disappointed to hear that you found our team to be rude and uninformative; this is most unlike our staff as we always aim to ensure all our guests receive the best customer service and try to go the extra mile. I will reiterate your valid comments to the departments involved and issue retraining where required as this is far below the usual high standards of customer service we pride ourselves upon. I would very much like to resolve this situation and investigate further the issues you have mentioned so I would greatly appreciate if you would contact me directly at William.simmonds@champneys.com.

Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We visited Champneys Henlow on Friday 18th July. It was our second time here and I don't think I'll be in a rush to return if I'm honest. Reception staff were courteous and welcoming and our 'check-in' was carried our efficiently and without fuss. We were shown to a room with tables and chairs and asked to fill out a checking-in form. We were welcome to help ourselves to tea, coffee and water and there was also a platter of fresh fruit available and some mini low far muffins together with pots of yoghurt with granola. This, I think, is a nice touch. We eventually made our way downstairs to the Day Spa area and got changed. Lockers are easy to use and we were given our robes and told to collect our slippers from the Boutique at the other end of the building. This is a bit silly really as we'd already got changed and I ended up walking barefoot to the boutique. The old system of giving you your robe and slippers at the same time upon arrival at the Day Spa reception was better! The ladies toilets were awful. I lifted the toilet lid and the back of the toilet was absolutely covered in 'old' urine and looked like it hadn't been cleaned for a couple of days. I decided to go and use another cubicle but it wasn't much better.

The swimming pool was nice but the walls and décor could do with a much needed refresh. The changing area was also a bit grubby and it kind of put me off walking around barefoot. Plenty of clean towels on offer though and because it was a Friday, there were plenty of loungers to lay on.

We made our way to the Spa Reception for our treatments and again were met with a nice welcome from the spa staff. The Thalassotherapy pool was out of use for the day and we had booked this as one of our treatments. We were given a choice of either a Dry Floatation or an Aromatherapy wrap. We both chose the Aromatherapy wrap and it included a couple of minutes of either a foot massage or scalp massage. We both went for the foot massage. We both thoroughly enjoyed our wrap and mini massage. Later on, we had both booked in for the 'Head in the Clouds' treatment and my mum loved hers but I came away feeling like I had been pulled through a bush! The therapist did not make me feel relaxed and I think my 10 year old would have given me a more relaxing head massage. Talk about disappointing - this was the one treatment I had been really looking forward to!!!

We had our lunch scheduled for 1.00pm and arrived in time and were shown to a table and offered still or sparkling water and then told to help ourselves to lunch. There are 3 area plates to choose your food (one for salad, one for fish and meat (cold) and one which has two hot meals on offer) plus a soup of the day option. The hot plates do not tell you what the meal is so I took a couple of spoonfuls of what I thought was chicken only to find out it was sausage! Labels would be most helpful and would surely help to limit waste. The cold chicken was plain and tasteless. I understand that the options must be healthy but surely a few herbs and spices would make the meal a little more interesting and enjoyable?? Jacket potatoes with fillings such as tuna or beans would also be great!! Pudding was a rhubarb syllabub which was quite nice. If you want a hot drink, you have to go to the nearby coffee shop and purchase one - one hot drink with your meal wouldn't cost that much, would it??

We left for home at about 5.00pm but were hungry and disappointed. I had a really lovely day on my initial visit but I didn't really enjoy this visit. It was expensive, disappointing and not worth the money we had spent. Sopwell House in St Albans runs rings around Champneys Henlow!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank SarahL766
Thank you very much for your thorough and positive review of your recent spa day at Champneys Henlow. I am thrilled our team made you feel welcomed immediately and that your check in was fast and efficient. I am glad that our spa day welcome refreshments were well received and thank you for your helpful suggestion of offering the slippers and robes at reception upon check in. I am sorry for the oversight in housekeeping in our ladies toilets and thank you for informing me; I will ensure our Housekeeping Manager is aware so as to investigate this matter and resolve it. Thank you for your comments in relation to the décor of the swimming pool and I am glad that you were able to locate an available lounger easily as the pool was quiet. I do apologise that our thalassotherapy pool was out of use on the day you came to us; this was for essential maintenance works and was unavoidable and unpredictable, I do however apologise for any inconvenience caused. I am so pleased that the team rectified the situation by offering you another treatment instead and that you both thoroughly enjoyed your aromatherapy wrap and foot massage. I am pleased your mother enjoyed her Head in The Clouds treatment and sorry that this was not to your tastes also. I am pleased that you enjoyed your lunch with us finding the food to be of good quality and labels of the foods on offer can be found above each item. I am sorry that our health menu you felt could be improved by offering alternative options too, however as a health spa this is expected of us so I do apologise. I am sorry to hear that you left feeling disappointed but thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback, enabling us to make changes and continue to improve upon ourselves and our standards.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

For my sister’s 30th birthday the three of us decided to book a spa day as we have never been to a spa together before. I was dubious about booking Champneys because I had a bad experience at the Tring venue but I have had heard many compliments about the Henlow one so went for it. From the moment we arrived, we were made to feel special. The staff were welcoming, kind, and friendly throughout. The young girl on the spa reception (by the swimming pool) was so sweet and helpful, she made us all smile. One of my sisters and I both had a treatment by Harriet and she was so attentive and professional. We went on a bike ride and the grounds were so beautiful and peaceful. The free bubble bath gift and inclusive Thalassotherapy treatment were fantastic. The food was delicious and the staff in the restaurant were brilliant. It was such a lovely day. We all felt thoroughly spoilt and it will be a day we will all fondly remember.

We would definitely visit again and would highly recommend you to friends and family.

Thank you!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Sarah A
Thank you so much for your exemplary review of your special occasion spent with us at Champneys Henlow. I am thrilled to hear that from the moment you arrived you and your sisters were made to feel welcome by our team and they continued to impress you with such high customer service throughout your stay. Thank you so very much for your kind comments in relation to the Spa receptionist and Harriet; I will pass on these to the girls who I am sure will be very happy to hear this. I am glad that you enjoyed your bike ride through our beautiful and peaceful grounds and further that the thalassotherapy pool proved to be a favourite for you all! I am pleased that our free Champneys gift was a bonus for you all and you found your meals with us to be delicious. I am so pleased you intend to recommend us and look forward to welcoming you all back for the next special occasion.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Hey, this spa is lovely, great treatments and so relaxing. Food is decent too to be fair. That said our first room had no hot water and was rough round the edges. We got a free upgrade to a much better room but even then the water in the shower too ages to warm up and then was a little inconsistent. Anyway, this seems like a minor gripe and in a way it is as otherwise its a lovely place but its quite an essential ingredient, hot water, and so it was pretty annoying. Anyway, over all it was really nice but please sort out the plumbing.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for your positive and helpful feedback following your recent stay with us at Champneys Henlow. I am so pleased that you found our resort so peaceful and enjoyable and further that you enjoyed your treatments immensely. I am glad you found our food to be of high quality also. I am thrilled that our team were quick to try and resolve the problem of your initial room and gave you a complimentary upgrade but sorry to hear of the issue you came across with the shower in your new room. I will inform our Maintenance team that this matter needs to be addressed and thank you for your valued feedback. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Wiltshire
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I normally go to Forest Mere but thought I'd give Henlow Grange a try as I was taking my 17 year old daughter as a treat due to a tough year at school. Surroundings lovely and the welcome staff quite friendly, although we weren't shown around ,just registered and left to our own devices.

Bad points:-
The room had two beds pushed together despite asking for a twin for my daughter and I. The bed wasn't even attached together at the end so just a sheet put over the bed and so a gap in the middle!!

There were bees galore in our room. Ok that's nature but at one point we had about 5 to 6 bees in our room on the bed with the window shut!! Surely the room should have been treated. I mentioned this and was told it wasn't their fault and they knew about it. In my opinion no-one should have been given the room if there was a problem with bees in the room.

My daughter had a couple of treatments but all I had booked was thalassotheapy as I love the one at Forest Mere. What a letdown!! It was 1/3 size of the one at Forest Mere but they still let 8 people in it!!! One of the things wasn't working and another one you couldn't use properly because you splashed everyone really badly because the session was overcrowded.

When I checked out I saw a lady called Lisa. Very very miserable and unfriendly, even more so when I politely pointed out the things I hadn't been happy with. She then charged me £40 more than it should have been. I worked out (not her!!!!) that a £40 credit I should have had on my account (from the come back voucher offer) wasn't on there. It was added but when I said that it wasn't really very good that it hadn't been on my account as if I hadn't looked I wouldn't have noticed and just paid the account, she got quite abrupt saying that it had to be done manually and she 'just hadn't done it'. At this point I had really had enough of her attitude so added that really that wasn't acceptable. That wasn't taken very well and my daughter, who had joined us at that point made a comment that Lisa wasn't friendly and appeared quite stroppy!!

I filled out the questionnaire when I got back, and said all my points and it came back that I was 87% satisfied so as far as they were concerned that was fine!!! There was also fine print at the resort that if you gave your email address and filled the form out you got a £10 voucher. Needless to say that hasn't happened......

I'm going back to Forest Mere!!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Mummy3Wiltshire
Thank you very much for your detailed and constructive feedback following your retreat to our Helow resort with your daughter. I am pleased that you appreciated and enjoyed our lovely grounds and that you found our team to be so friendly. I am disappointed to hear that there was a breakdown in communication in relation to your request for a twin room and will reiterate this to the team so that such oversights do not reoccur. I can only apologise for the inconvenience of bees in your room; you are quite correct we cannot control nature but I will see that this room does receive treatment so that this problem is resolved. I am sorry to hear that your thalassotherapy session was dampened by too many people partaking at the same time; I will investigate this with the team and review the process for bookings as everyone should have the chance to enjoy this treatment in peace. I am pleased however that your daughter thoroughly enjoyed her treatments with our therapists. I am truly disappointed to hear of the customer service received upon checking out; I will personally investigate this matter as we always strive to excel in customer service and giving memorable experiences to all our guests and for this I do apologise. Thank you for taking the time to give me your valued feedback and I will endeavor to implement changes and look forward to welcoming you back to show you just how helpful your review has been.

London
Reviewed 18 July 2014

I was alittle worried having read some of the more negative reviews, but my fears proved completely unnecessary! Champneys henlow proved to be a wonderful place to spend my 30th birthday. Staff were kind and informative, the treatments were fabulous and the hotel and grounds for the most part immaculate. We were especially impressed by the standard of food which was very high- nothing like the limp lettuce and diet portions we had been expecting! Lounging by the beautiful pool or in the opulent gardens by the weir was the perfect remedy for a stressful lifestyle and for those looking for a busier break there were a multitude of exercise classes, lectures and workshops available- we will return as soon as funds allow!

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank recoveryrose
Thank you very much for your positive feedback following your Birthday spent with us at our Champneys Henlow resort. I am so pleased that we were able to aid your celebrations in style and that you found our team to be friendly and helpful throughout your stay. I am glad that you thoroughly enjoyed your treatments and further our beautifully maintained grounds. I am pleased you found our resort relaxing and that our wonderfully crafted and health menu exceed your expectations. I am trilled you are already planning your return and look forward to welcoming you back.

William Simmonds
Also consider these accommodations in or near Henlow
Wyboston Lakes Hotel
#1 of 3 in Letchworth
The Woburn Hotel
The Woburn Hotel
#1 of 3 in Woburn

Been to Champneys Henlow? Share your experiences!