“Very Shabby in Places”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Henlow
Peak District National Park, United Kingdom
“Very Shabby in Places”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I have been going to Champneys for over 20 years but had not been to Henlow for around 8. I'm afraid it was very disappointing. The Spa area was a disaster with the Thalassotherapy and Sauna out of action. The steam room had notes on the benches saying not to sit on them, I assume it was because lots of tiles were missing. They had some guys doing some work in the pool area, banging and spraying something which really got in our throats so we gave up and went outside. We went for a relaxation class but the room felt like a dumping ground with table tennis tables and lamps just dumped in a corner and the carpet was threadbare.The restaurant was very quiet but the service was poor. The good things were the food and treatments but you can get these at the other Champney locations. I will not go back to Henlow unless it has a refurbishment programme completed.

2 Thank Paddywack-8
Will S, Group Operations Manager at Champneys Henlow, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Thank you so much for your constructive feedback following your recent stay with us at Champneys Henlow. I am sorry to hear you found your visit to be disappointing, partially due to our maintenance works being carried out to improve our facilities. I do apologise that they were an inconvenience to your stay and you found this disturbing. I am further sorry to hear that our relaxation class was held in a studio which did not feel relaxing at all and further that although our restaurant was quiet you found the team did not give you very good service. I will be sure to reiterate these valid points to the team so that we may work to improve upon these. I am glad however that you thoroughly enjoyed the treatments you had booked and also our meals provided. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future and showing you how your helpful comments have allowed us to make changes and rise to the challenge.

William Simmonds

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (489)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Having stayed at a number of Champney resorts over the years Henlow has become our favourite. We did however feel that our recent stay was not as good as previous visits. The two factors being that the thalasotherapy pool was out of order meaning that many visitors who had this treatment as part of an inclusive package had to be allocated an alternative treatment - this in turn led to the therapists being very busy and no space abvailable for additional treatments. The second factor being that Champneys are currently ptomoting group/hen party visits and it appears that those attending on these packages are looking for something slightly different to the traditional stay. This will require some actions on management to address the party/additional noise factors. Not our best visit but having experienced Champneys over a number of years we are confident that if these issues are addressed we will visit again in the coming months.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mikey-G1
Thank you very much for your upbeat and positive feedback following your most recent return visit to Champneys Henlow, your favourite of all of our resorts. I do apologise for the inconvenience of our thalassotherapy pool being out of order for necessary maintenance works during your stay, and that this in turn meant that any other additional treatments were booked up very quickly indeed. I am further disappointed to hear that a group staying at the same time were unusually noisy; I will ensure all staff are made aware of your valid comments so that they may keep an eye on this issue. I look forward to welcoming you back very soon, and thank you for your continuing loyal custom.

Writtle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I have been going to Henlow Grange with my daughter for over 20 years and it has always fullfilled our expectations. The ethos is on relaxation so everyone is wearing a fluffy white robe and slippers, wandering from treatments to comfy sofas. This time we took advantage of the half price 3 night offer so had an extra night, 4 days was a very welcome break from the outside world.
The staff are friendly and polite.
The food is more than excellent, plentifull, nutritious and tasty.The dining room staff are always polite and nothing is to much trouble.

The rooms are being re furbished, they are adequate but not luxurious, the beds are comfortable and the linen always crisp.

We were very lucky with the weather so spent every possible moment outside lounging by the weir on the sunbeds. The grounds are beautifully kept and we went for a long walk around the woodland etc, only getting a little bit lost !!
I am very surprised at other peoples negative comments, especially about the food and going home hungry.The lunch buffett contrary to one coment, is very well labelled if you look above the dishes a full explanation on each is given. You can return to the buffett as many times as you like and there is a vast choice of hot and cold food.There is wifi in most rooms and if needed a good conection is available in the lounge.There is baggage assistance and Alex would be horified to read this, you only have to ask for luggage to be taken or removed from your room.The breakfast is a very healthy meal, many different cereals, yoghurts, multiple fresh fruits ,prunes apricots and figs, fresh juices, different breads to toast, with jams, peanut butter, honeys marmalades,Im not sure what the other lady expected at a health farm ?
Anyway i have nothing negative to say and will once again return in the winter for my second visit of the year.

2 Thank Marina S
Thank you very much for such a wonderful read about your experiences with us at Champneys Henlow. I am thrilled to learn that you are a loyal guest of ours and with each return visit you continue to be satisfied with the treatments we have to offer and leave feeling refreshed. I am pleased that you feel so relaxed spending time in our resort and that you took advantage of our fantastic half price offer. I am glad you find our staff friendly, helpful and polite and the food to be of a continually high standard. I am pleased that our refurbishment is noticeable for positive reasons and that you always enjoy a comfortable night’s sleep in our beds. I am so pleased the weather permitted you to sit outside and enjoy a long walk in the sun, allowing you to see better our beautifully maintained surroundings. I am so pleased you thoroughly enjoyed our lunch buffet finding the food to be of wide variety, good quality and well labelled too. I am glad that our complimentary WFi was beneficial to your stay and also that our team were able to assist you with your luggage. I am so thrilled you enjoyed our plentiful and healthy breakfast buffet and further that you plan to revisit us in the winter this year; I look forward to welcoming you back when you do.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 1 night on Sat 19th July with a friend and had such a lovely time.

Every single member of staff we dealt with or even passed in the corridor was so friendly and helpful, find it really difficult to understand how other people have had such a different experience.

Room was great, very comfortable beds.

Some areas could do with a lick of paint inside but the grounds are beautiful - definitely a must to take a walk around them.

Treatments were great although definitely book extra treatments in advance if you want them as they were almost fully booked.

Finally - the food was absolutely delicious.

Really don't have anything negative to say - will definitely be back.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Kate L
Thank you so much for your positive review following your recent break with us at Champneys Henlow. I am so pleased that you and your friendly thoroughly enjoyed our resort and found your room to be of good standard, in particular the comfortable beds. I am glad that all our team made such an upbeat impression upon you both with their friendly and helpful nature. I am thrilled that you appreciated a peaceful walk in our stunning grounds and that you found your treatments to be just the ticket. I am pleased you enjoyed your meals with us also and are planning to return soon; I look forward to welcoming you back when you do.

Somerset, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Called prior to my stay to ask a few questions regarding my stay. Very curt staff with little information, however as I had pre paid and needed to make the journey I carried on regardless. Arrived at the hotel and read the Check is closed sign, asked a waiter wher I could check in he ignored me. I worked it out for my self. Check in under way. The reception soon realised I was not here to spend boundless amount's of money in the Spa as this was just an over night trip to the area. She soon give us short shrift.. No baggage assistance, no room directions, no hotel information. Just sign here . So we eventually find our room. The Hotel its self looked well equipped and Beauty treatments ETC seemed fantastic. In the room no WIFI connection. and obvious signs of poor house keeping in a newly refurbished room. What a shame. A little tip on a Zip and Link bed use a mattress topper as the ridge is very uncomfortable and gives a poor quality of sleep . In a hotel of this standard this must be an essential surely? Breakfast ... Well I know this is a health resort but poor quality coffee and soggy fruit not what I was expecting. Full English I was not expecting but a quality healthy breakfast Yes with table service on white linen not plastic coated table cloths. All in all a lot of money even on a cheap booking for poor quality. Right down to breakfast cutlery being dropped on the floor then picked up and placed on the table as a set up and robes blocking fire escapes over night.
All in all a bit worrying really !

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jossSurry
Thank you very much for your constructive feedback following your recent stopover trip to us at Champneys Henlow. I am most disappointed to hear that you found our team to be rude and uninformative; this is most unlike our staff as we always aim to ensure all our guests receive the best customer service and try to go the extra mile. I will reiterate your valid comments to the departments involved and issue retraining where required as this is far below the usual high standards of customer service we pride ourselves upon. I would very much like to resolve this situation and investigate further the issues you have mentioned so I would greatly appreciate if you would contact me directly at William.simmonds@champneys.com.

Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We visited Champneys Henlow on Friday 18th July. It was our second time here and I don't think I'll be in a rush to return if I'm honest. Reception staff were courteous and welcoming and our 'check-in' was carried our efficiently and without fuss. We were shown to a room with tables and chairs and asked to fill out a checking-in form. We were welcome to help ourselves to tea, coffee and water and there was also a platter of fresh fruit available and some mini low far muffins together with pots of yoghurt with granola. This, I think, is a nice touch. We eventually made our way downstairs to the Day Spa area and got changed. Lockers are easy to use and we were given our robes and told to collect our slippers from the Boutique at the other end of the building. This is a bit silly really as we'd already got changed and I ended up walking barefoot to the boutique. The old system of giving you your robe and slippers at the same time upon arrival at the Day Spa reception was better! The ladies toilets were awful. I lifted the toilet lid and the back of the toilet was absolutely covered in 'old' urine and looked like it hadn't been cleaned for a couple of days. I decided to go and use another cubicle but it wasn't much better.

The swimming pool was nice but the walls and décor could do with a much needed refresh. The changing area was also a bit grubby and it kind of put me off walking around barefoot. Plenty of clean towels on offer though and because it was a Friday, there were plenty of loungers to lay on.

We made our way to the Spa Reception for our treatments and again were met with a nice welcome from the spa staff. The Thalassotherapy pool was out of use for the day and we had booked this as one of our treatments. We were given a choice of either a Dry Floatation or an Aromatherapy wrap. We both chose the Aromatherapy wrap and it included a couple of minutes of either a foot massage or scalp massage. We both went for the foot massage. We both thoroughly enjoyed our wrap and mini massage. Later on, we had both booked in for the 'Head in the Clouds' treatment and my mum loved hers but I came away feeling like I had been pulled through a bush! The therapist did not make me feel relaxed and I think my 10 year old would have given me a more relaxing head massage. Talk about disappointing - this was the one treatment I had been really looking forward to!!!

We had our lunch scheduled for 1.00pm and arrived in time and were shown to a table and offered still or sparkling water and then told to help ourselves to lunch. There are 3 area plates to choose your food (one for salad, one for fish and meat (cold) and one which has two hot meals on offer) plus a soup of the day option. The hot plates do not tell you what the meal is so I took a couple of spoonfuls of what I thought was chicken only to find out it was sausage! Labels would be most helpful and would surely help to limit waste. The cold chicken was plain and tasteless. I understand that the options must be healthy but surely a few herbs and spices would make the meal a little more interesting and enjoyable?? Jacket potatoes with fillings such as tuna or beans would also be great!! Pudding was a rhubarb syllabub which was quite nice. If you want a hot drink, you have to go to the nearby coffee shop and purchase one - one hot drink with your meal wouldn't cost that much, would it??

We left for home at about 5.00pm but were hungry and disappointed. I had a really lovely day on my initial visit but I didn't really enjoy this visit. It was expensive, disappointing and not worth the money we had spent. Sopwell House in St Albans runs rings around Champneys Henlow!!

3 Thank SarahL766
Thank you very much for your thorough and positive review of your recent spa day at Champneys Henlow. I am thrilled our team made you feel welcomed immediately and that your check in was fast and efficient. I am glad that our spa day welcome refreshments were well received and thank you for your helpful suggestion of offering the slippers and robes at reception upon check in. I am sorry for the oversight in housekeeping in our ladies toilets and thank you for informing me; I will ensure our Housekeeping Manager is aware so as to investigate this matter and resolve it. Thank you for your comments in relation to the décor of the swimming pool and I am glad that you were able to locate an available lounger easily as the pool was quiet. I do apologise that our thalassotherapy pool was out of use on the day you came to us; this was for essential maintenance works and was unavoidable and unpredictable, I do however apologise for any inconvenience caused. I am so pleased that the team rectified the situation by offering you another treatment instead and that you both thoroughly enjoyed your aromatherapy wrap and foot massage. I am pleased your mother enjoyed her Head in The Clouds treatment and sorry that this was not to your tastes also. I am pleased that you enjoyed your lunch with us finding the food to be of good quality and labels of the foods on offer can be found above each item. I am sorry that our health menu you felt could be improved by offering alternative options too, however as a health spa this is expected of us so I do apologise. I am sorry to hear that you left feeling disappointed but thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback, enabling us to make changes and continue to improve upon ourselves and our standards.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

For my sister’s 30th birthday the three of us decided to book a spa day as we have never been to a spa together before. I was dubious about booking Champneys because I had a bad experience at the Tring venue but I have had heard many compliments about the Henlow one so went for it. From the moment we arrived, we were made to feel special. The staff were welcoming, kind, and friendly throughout. The young girl on the spa reception (by the swimming pool) was so sweet and helpful, she made us all smile. One of my sisters and I both had a treatment by Harriet and she was so attentive and professional. We went on a bike ride and the grounds were so beautiful and peaceful. The free bubble bath gift and inclusive Thalassotherapy treatment were fantastic. The food was delicious and the staff in the restaurant were brilliant. It was such a lovely day. We all felt thoroughly spoilt and it will be a day we will all fondly remember.

We would definitely visit again and would highly recommend you to friends and family.

Thank you!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Sarah A
Thank you so much for your exemplary review of your special occasion spent with us at Champneys Henlow. I am thrilled to hear that from the moment you arrived you and your sisters were made to feel welcome by our team and they continued to impress you with such high customer service throughout your stay. Thank you so very much for your kind comments in relation to the Spa receptionist and Harriet; I will pass on these to the girls who I am sure will be very happy to hear this. I am glad that you enjoyed your bike ride through our beautiful and peaceful grounds and further that the thalassotherapy pool proved to be a favourite for you all! I am pleased that our free Champneys gift was a bonus for you all and you found your meals with us to be delicious. I am so pleased you intend to recommend us and look forward to welcoming you all back for the next special occasion.

William Simmonds
Also consider these accommodations in or near Henlow
Wyboston Lakes Hotel
Mercure Letchworth Hall
Mercure Letchworth Hall
#1 of 3 in Letchworth
Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club

Been to Champneys Henlow? Share your experiences!