“Fab.. Room for improvement” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Champneys Henlow
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Henlow
staffordshire uk
“Fab.. Room for improvement”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

Just got back from a spa deal break at Henlow.
First impressions very impressive, however upon exploring I found that the day spa changing area was very dimly lit & would benefit a little natural sunlight!

We had a superior room which was near to the gazebo.. Loverly spot for a relaxing coffee where we were greeted by the family of ducks!

The tiling around the Pool area could do do with a refurb as it's looking a little tired .. Also one of the saunas was out of order which was a tad disappointing..the carpets looked stained in places.

The premises is an old building compared to Champneys springs, I do think that perhaps it's time for DIY SOS to help with a makeover!

The restaurant service was good & the food was lush!
Many thanks to the ladies who gave us a FAB massage, it was well received & made us feel human again!
Overall we had a good time & value for money...

Stayed August 2014
Will S, Group Operations Manager at Champneys Henlow, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Thank you very much for your complimentary review of your recent break with us at Champneys Henlow. I am pleased that we made such a good first impression and thank you for your suggestion of more natural light in our spa changing rooms, I will certainly consider this as we are currently in the process of refurbishment. I am so pleased that you found our grounds a lovely place to relax and unwind and were welcomed by nature itself also. Thank you for your comments in relation to the pool area and carpets, another matter which I will ensure receives attention during the refurbishment process. I apologise for the inconvenience of our thalassotherapy pool being closed for essential maintenance works, this was for the safety of our guests and unfortunately was unavoidable. I am so pleased you found excellent customer service in our restaurant and thoroughly enjoyed the food also. I am so pleased your massage was just the ticket and that you found our resort to be good value. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

William Simmonds

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (484)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

Stayed at Henlow for three nights on business. I wasn't there for the facilities but intended to use the gym in the evenings. The room I was given was tatty (44) - the bathroom was grubby. The staff I experienced were generally disinterested with a slight dash of attitude.

I can't review the spa but have just returned from one in Asia and from what I could see the facilities and presentation of the rooms at Champneys it was way below Vietnamese standards.

Premier Inn rooms are significantly better !!! The beds certainly are…….

However, I did have dinner in The Crown round the corner from Champneys on my last night. The staff were well presented and enthusiastic - service was great. They have five rooms and the one I saw was far far superior to the one I was given at Champneys - so consider the Crown if you are looking for a room and great food in Henlow.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank oodimo
Thank you very much for your constructive and helpful feedback in relation to your recent business trip with us at Champneys Henlow. I am sorry to hear that you felt your bedroom to be tired and am pleased to inform you that we are currently in the process of refurbishing all our bedrooms and so this issue will soon be resolved. I am most disappointed to learn that you found our team to be disinterested; this is not a comment we usually receive about our staff and I will investigate this matter personally. I am glad that you enjoyed a meal at a nearby pub and our location proved beneficial to your trip. Thank you for taking the time to give me your feedback and allowing us to work to improve upon the matters mentioned.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

I've just spent 4 nights at Champneys in Henlow (my second visit in 7 months). Once again I was made to feel hugely welcome. When you arrive at the gracious Georgian manor house it's like stepping back in time. The sweeping gravel drive, the manicured gardens and general air of calmness were a welcoming sight after the busy London life I had left behind.

The thing that sets Champneys at Henlow apart from other Spas I have visited, are the staff. They are welcoming, friendly and most of all recognise what most guests are there for...rest and relaxation. The spa team are happy to advise which are the best treatments for you and unlike some places, they are happy to reschedule things if you want to attend a class that clashes with one of your treatments. The dining experience was very good too, the food is healthy and delicious and once again the service I received was excellent.

The pool, sauna and choice to exercise classes were good, the treatments I received were all generally good too - although the 'just gel' nail polish treatment that cost £30 has not lasted as I would expect (normally lasts 2 weeks - but mine is peeling off after just 5 days ), The steam room was in need of an upgrade but I believe this is scheduled to happen this month.

I look forward to revisiting Champneys Henlow again in the near future :)

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
      Rooms
1 Thank Emma P
Thank you very much for your loyal custom and a further thank you for providing us with your comments on your most recent visit to us at Champneys Henlow. I am so pleased that our team made you feel welcomed and relaxed immediately. I am thrilled you appreciate our beautiful gardens, sweeping drive and furthermore that you find our staff are a head above the rest, going that extra mile to serve our guests. I am glad that you find our therapists skilled, flexible and their advice to be useful. I am pleased you find our evening meal to be nutritious and appetising and the service in our restaurant the same as throughout the resort; friendly and helpful. I am glad that you enjoy the use of all our facilities and am sorry to hear that one particular treatment was not up to standard, I will ensure this is relayed to our therapists so that they make further quality checks of the “Just Gel” treatment, thank you for informing me. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Cranfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

I was bought this pamper day for 2 by my husband. It was a fantastic gift and one that completely re charged my batteries. The whole day was just perfect and I thoroughly enjoyed my facial. Can't wait to go back. The lunch was great and I thoroughly enjoyed the tuna steaks. Once in champneys we were looked after all round the building. The relaxation class was a must for complete relaxation.

Room Tip: Make sure you make full use of the day by arriving at 9 and staying till 6. The facial was perfect
      Cleanliness
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for your complimentary review of your visit to us at Champneys Henlow. I am so pleased that you gift of a spa break was just the ticket and you found our venue to be relaxing. I am glad you enjoyed your facial and your lunch with us, in particular the tuna steaks. I am thrilled the team made you feel well cared for throughout your stay and the relaxation class was the right class to recharge your batteries. I am so pleased you are looking forward to your return and will be ready to welcome you back when you do.

Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

I booked a 2 day break for myself and 2 daughters, I paid for the room upgrade when booking and we had two delightful rooms on the ground floor overlooking the courtyard (as requested) with a lovely terrace. We all thought the food was fantastic - restaurant quality, great choice, and my one daughter's gluten-free requirements imaginatively catered for.

We did lots of classes and when one of my daughters injured her ankle the care and attention could not have been better - first aid given immediately, ice regularly provided by the restaurant and painkillers sold to me late at night when needed. Similarly, my other daughter had a slight problem with one of her treatments and was offered a complimentary facial with no quibbles and with obvious goodwill.

I only looked at Trip Advisor reviews after I had made my booking and am glad that I did - as some of the negative comments might have prevented me from going. The place is not run-down or shabby - some people have complained about the jacuzzi being cold - that is not because it is not being heated but because the design is such that it feeds into the main pool. Like many spas Henlow would benefit from investment in some of its facilities but as a venue to go for a truly relaxing break it was good value for money and a little haven for a few days.

Room Tip: If you are upgrading ask for a room overlooking the courtyard as there is a lovely view of foliage...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for your positive feedback following your family spa break with us at Champneys Henlow. I am thrilled that you and your daughters found your rooms with terraces to be of such high quality and further that you all thoroughly enjoyed your meals with us finding it to be tasty, plentiful and our chefs flexible where possible with allergies. I am so pleased that you all took pleasure in participating in our classes and am sorry to hear one of your daughters injured herself but very glad our team were efficient and attentive in their care for her. I am also pleased that the team were able to make amends for the issue your other daughter had with her facial. I am glad you found our venue good value for money and look forward to welcoming you all back for the next relaxing break.

Kingston upon Thames, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Had a wonderful stay at Champneys. My third visit there. Beautiful grounds, variety of classes. Friendly staff and lovely food. The swimming pool is huge. Great for friends, partners or colleagues. Very relaxing atmosphere. We got a great deal on a 2 night stay. My only criticism is I feel that the treatments (at an extra cost) are pricey.

Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank very much for your exemplary comments in relation to your return to us at Champneys Henlow. I am thrilled to hear that you continue to enjoy your time spent with us and always appreciate the variety of classes available and our scenic surroundings. I am pleased that you find our team to be friendly and our food to be high quality. I am glad that our swimming pool is a welcome bonus to your stay and you find our resort so relaxing. I am sorry that you feel extra treatments are priced too highly. I look forward to welcoming you back again for your next retreat!

Isleworth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

I know Champneys are refurbishing their properties however my review is my first time experience.
I emailed several times with a question and it took days for a reply. Admin certainly needs attention, it seems it is not monitored at all.
When you get a reply it is from several people and no continuity.

Very warm welcome on the first really hot day of the year, bags taken to our room which is great.
Room very tired, dark, dull, stained carpets and no air conditioning very small window so no air flow.
No fridges to keep water cold.
Bed uncomfortable and I paid more to upgraded to single occupancy.

We met in the tea room overlooking the pool and ordered lunch as we had a long journey down.
It took over 45 mins for a salad that was so small and expensive we wish we had not waited.
There was one person serving which was ridiculous for the amount of people wanting tea and drinks.

It was too hot to wear the robe that did not fit me, I spent all afternoon in the pool trying to keep cool.
The pool is a little tired and not enough beds and comfortable seating for the amount of people staying. Beds on top of one another, so not relaxing.
It would have been good if they had put additional beds and seating on the grass outside the pool for people to sunbathe as people had to get on the floor in their towel. Not luxury!

Pool is good to swim in however part of the reason that I booked the SPA was to use the hydro therapy pool which was closed and we did not know until we had arrived.

All the treatments were fully booked, it seems people that booked the hydro pool were given priority and offered treatments.
So disappointed we could not have a treatment.

All the staff were very friendly, smiled and said hello (with the exception of two, it seemed that I was disturbing the accounts payable lady from her screen when I settled my bill. whilst she said thank you, she did not look at me or ask if I enjoyed my stay) and were helpful.
There was a young lady in the restaurant (did not get her name unfortunately) who worked very hard and nothing was too much trouble.
I accidentally spilt milk at breakfast and she said no problem leave it with me.

The food was very good, I enjoyed all the meals good variety and quality fresh produce.
The wine was good with dinner and not expensive.
Arriving for lunch at 1.30 it did seem a little rushed as it closes at 2pm, we missed some dishes but some were replenished.

I left a dress behind and after several emails eventually a very helpful lady from lost property (I think her name is Liz) called me for more information which I had written in my emails.
Unfortunately the dress has not been found.

I enjoyed my stay with friends however I did not find it the relaxing luxury experience that I was expecting.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the refurbished rooms.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your constructive and positive feedback following your experience with us at Champneys Henlow. I am sorry to hear that our administration team were not fast in replying to your queries prior to your stay with us and will reiterate your valid comments to them so that this can be improved upon. I am pleased that you felt welcomed immediately by our team and that they were efficient to take your bags to your room also. I am sorry to hear that you felt the décor of your room was tired and the bed uncomfortable; we are currently in the process of refurbishing all our bedrooms so this issue I am glad to inform you will soon be rectified. I am sorry to hear that when you came to order lunch this was a particularly busy period and there were not enough staff working and this meant you had a long wait for your food, I will reiterate your valid comments to our Operations Manager to review this and make changes to improve the timing of service. I am glad that in the hot weather you found solace in our cool and sizeable swimming pool and sorry to hear that when you came to this, other guests had the same idea of cooling down with a swim and it proved difficult to find a lounger. I will certainly consider your valid point of spacing the loungers further apart. I do apologise that our thalassotherapy pool was closed for essential maintenance repairs during your stay, unfortunately this was unavoidable and we did not inform our guests prior to arrival as it was only discovered when the issue occurred. I am sorry to hear that you did not book any treatments prior to arrival and this meant you could not have any, we do always advise our guests to book treatments in advance of their stay to avoid disappointment. I am thrilled that you found all our team to be friendly and helpful where needed and in particular our team in the restaurant, who I am sure will be overjoyed to hear your appreciation of them. I am pleased that you found your meals to be of excellent quality and variety and the wine at lunch too. I am sorry to hear that you left a dress in your room and it has not yet been found; our team will keep you updated as and when we can report any news. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

William Simmonds
Also consider these accommodations in or near Henlow
Wyboston Lakes Hotel
Mercure Letchworth Hall
Mercure Letchworth Hall
#1 of 3 in Letchworth
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,174 reviews

Been to Champneys Henlow? Share your experiences!