2,107 results
All reviewsexercise classeshealth spathalassotherapy poolbreakfast and lunchhealthy foodtreatment areamy mumsun loungersstandard roomrelaxing breaknight breakspecial offerrestaurant staffbirthday treatlovely groundsthalassotherapy sessionloyalty voucher
Reviewed 10 December 2017 via mobile

Stayed here for one night with two days in the ‘spa’ for a girlie getaway. My mother stayed here about 15years ago and raves about it so I had an expectation- I can only assume it has not been updated since my Mum visited!
There are renovations taking place currently but I don’t think these would improve many of the things that are wrong with this place.
I have already completed the Customer Survey you are sent after your stay directly from Henlow so I will be brief:
There is no element of luxury in this place. The pool is just a massive rectangle like any public pool, tiles missing, old and unappealing.
Treatments take place in a rabbit warren of rooms which you will be traipsed up and down flights of stairs to reach-not particularly relaxing!
The rooms are nothing short of horrendous. They are old, either freezing cold or boiling hot. The beds are small singles. I am a size 8 and 5”3, I was clinging on all night so I didn’t fall out and my feet poked out the end of the bed!
Service in the restaurant is awful. We had dietary requirements which were pretty much laughed off or ignored. For one meal we had to go to the kitchen to ask for cutlery!
Do not visit here, if you are looking for a lovely, luxury spa I would recommend Rowhill Grange in Wilmington.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank MyLondoni
Darren S, General Manager at Champneys Henlow, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2017

Thank you for your feedback.
It is always disappointing to see a review like this and I assure you that we are all working hard to ensure that all our guests are satisfied. Evidently we missed the mark for you on this visit but i do hope that in the future you will revisit us and no doubt see vast changes that we are implementing.

Thanks again and kind regards,

Reviewed 8 December 2017

I stayed here for one night on a business trip. Welcome and check-in was pleasant and staff were professional and friendly. Room was comfortable and clean and had everything you would need and I had a good nights sleep. Unfortunately the bathroom could of been cleaner - lots of hairs from previous guests, dirty around the top of the bath, sink and toilet needed a better clean. Dinner was a disappointment and not worth the money. Starter was literally some lettuce leaves, whole cherry tomatoes, a slice of avocado, slithers of red pepper (all fridge cold so no flavour). came with an inedible dip thing in a little dish. Lacked imagination and flavour. Main was a veggi tortellini which was tasty but way too much sauce. Desert was a nice healthy option but had been in the fridge too long. If work hadn't of been paying I would of complained. Breakfast needs a table menu so you know what you can get, if there is a menu I didn't get one. On the whole a good business stay but not a great one.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled on business

Thank you for your comments.
For the areas where we fell short I do apologize. We are usually highly rated on our foods hence your comments will be taken into consideration and reviewed.
For the other areas which you enjoyed I hope you will decide to visit us again in the future to experience more of what we have to offer.

Reviewed 7 December 2017 via mobile

Two day stay this week - using vitality points

Can’t complain about staff, activities or treatments - all very good

Room fine - albeit a bit “travel lodgy”

Where they have done the hotel up - like the lounges and conservatory it’s very good

The skips outside aren’t ideally placed and very unsightly- not sure you can do much about it

Hoping they move onto the pool and changing area next - cold and tired

Food - buffet lunch and breakfast good

Dinner was poor and I complained to that fact
Mouldy vegetable kebabs - no idea how old!

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback.
As you have highlighted we are indeed making significant changes throughout the resort.
I have passed your comments regarding the food to the Head Chef in an effort to improve and provide satisfaction for all our guests.

We do hope you will visit us again in the future.

Reviewed 7 December 2017

I have a voucher to book, I couldn't find how to use the voucher on line so rang the central number to be left hanging on while they charge me every minute to do so....I won't be asking for anymore vouchers this christmas, appalled !!!

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Jen478cats
Reviewed 6 December 2017

The hotel is beautiful, the food was lovely and the staff were mostly attentive, however, we came here for pamper and relaxation, and we failed to achieved either.

I treated my friend to a stay here for her birthday back in June and the weather was glorious, sadly the rooms aren't air conditioned and the hotel has a HUGE problem with bugs (see photographs!!!!). The hotel is also clearly very aware of this problem as they had left a little note by the window in our room asking us to keep the windows closed whilst the lights were on.

So, at the end of the day we returned to our room, and obviously had the light on whilst getting ready for bed as it's not something you can do in the dark. Ten minutes later we turned out the light, and as the room was EXTREMELY hot, we were about to open the windows when we realised that it was too late and swarms of various types of small insects had settled on the window (see photo).

We therefore couldn't open the windows and had a VERY uncomfortable night, tossing and turning without getting ANY sleep whatsoever. We were not able to open the windows until dawn when the bugs finally disappeared, nor were we able to strip off as we were sharing a room,. The room needs aircon and without it, it was a very very unpleasant experience.

We had treatments booked in for the next day, but neither of us really wanted to be there anymore, we just wanted to go home and get some sleep.

Sadly the whole stay was ruined by this, and when we checked out, we were asked if we had enjoyed our stay, we honestly replied no, and explained the reason, to which we were told "oh we have fans you could have requested". WHAT??!!! Why wait until we are checking out to tell us that, why not put fans in the room, or better yet aircon?! Or why not add a line to the note left in our room "fans available on request". It's not exactly rocket science.

To top it off we had been bitten by horseflies whilst sitting in the garden and was then attacked by mosquitoes in the dining room, we probably would have seen the funny side had it not been for the serious lack of sleep.

I would recommend you avoid this place in the summer, I certainly won't be back in a hurry.

Room Tip: One with aircon
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends

Thank you for your feedback.
I do apologize that you had such a bad experience with us. Unfortunately, you were not aware of the fans which are available but we do inform guest to make their requests known and we are more than happy to provide reasonable solutions.
I do apologize once more and I hope you will reconsider visiting us again in future.