“Not great service”
Review of The Crown Inn

The Crown Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Amersham
Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

I was very much looking forward to visiting the Crown for a weekend out of London but ultimately left disappointed. Even before I arrived the customer service was unacceptable. I called to make a small change two days before. The person on the phone was almost unwilling to talk and told me she can't deal with the change and I should just email. I actually forgave this at the time, perhaps there was a sudden run of visitors, these things happen. Little did I know this was a sign of things to come.

On arrival I was happy. The room was clean, the hotel looked lovely. Exactly as I had expected. (Apart
From the advertised Roberts radio, which to be honest was made a great deal of in the literature but not a great loss yet still a strange omission). We spent a few minutes getting changed and went to dinner. We ordered a drink to start. It eventually arrived with the meal! If I'd have known drinks take 20 minutes to arrive I'd have just ordered the wine straight away.

The food was great which was a plus point. However it was difficult to get the staff's attention at any point during the meal and this was a recurring theme of the weekend.

We also stayed in Room 3 which turned out to be extremely noisy on both days. It's above the bar I believe so I understand why but still very disappointing considering the price we paid.

It's also worth making a point about the shower. It changed temperature constantly, going from cold to scolding within a minute. Very strange but a bit annoying!

On the second day we decided to spend some time in the bar. I say some time, most of it was actually spent waiting in the bar for a member of staff to show. When they did they were helpful and friendly but it was apparent at least one wasn't exactly sure of what they were doing. We also ate and the food again was good.

Possibly the worst part of the weekend was the breakfast on Sunday morning.
The Crown was severely understaffed, it took 40 minutes to get a cooked breakfast, the coffee was cold when it arrived, noting was offered, you'd have to chase staff down for tea or coffee and I had to do the same because there were no plates available! The staff tried hard but it was ridiculous. We finished breakfast very disappointed.

Then we went to check out. A simple process I thought. Not so much! I was given the amount to pay and had to ask for the breakdown. Which turned out to be wrong. So obviously pleased I didn't just pay as was suggested! To be fair, the girl on reception was very new. She told us she'd been there for two days. However to authorise a change to the bill she needed a manager. Who was dealing, for over 25 minutes, with two other unhappy customers, sitting getting feedback. And yes. We had to stand and wait the entire time as she was the only person that could help! Eventually she finished with the others and again, did a good job fixing the problem with the bill and very friendly too. I still think the bill is incorrect but I imagine the hassle of sorting it out probably isn't worth the effort.

So the bad service and staffing really spoiled what would otherwise have been a lovely weekend. I don't think it would take a lot to fix, I hope they do because apart from a few minor issues it could be a fantastic hotel.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
p_stlawrence, Owner at The Crown Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2014

This is obviously a very disappointing read. I have phoned and e-mailed as clearly you did not have the experience you should have. Please accept my apologies and please do reply to my e-mail.
I have reviewed all of this with my team. As you said we do have a few new members of staff, but that is no excuse for poor attention.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

Friends booked us for champagne afternoon tea at the Crown on Sunday afternoon.
Have to say we were not overly impressed! Perhaps we had expected too much but it came as a surprise to find the table laid without a table cloth.
Between the four of us we ordered two varieties of tea. When the waitress arrived with tea at the table she didn't know which was which and ended up with the tea pot lids off, her nose hovering over the open pot and guessing which was which! A request for a pot of hot water eventually resulted in a large vacuum jug with an enormous "hot water" label stuck on the outside - health and safety?
Traditionally afternoon tea is served on a three tier cake plate but not here. Tea was served on a single plate piled high with sandwiches, cake, scones and two pots (jam and cream). This was eventually found a place in the centre of the table. As there were four of us there was so much on the plate that some of the items actually fell off the plate onto the table. The scones were cold and over cooked, so were a little tough on the palette. The cake appeared to be supermarket standard, sliced and piled on the plate.
Overall a very disappointing experience which we will not repeat.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Chippy82
p_stlawrence, General Manager at The Crown Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2014

I am sorry to read this. I have just bought the very plates you mentioned. I will speak to chef about making sure they are used. I will review you comments on the scones too, as they are usually very well received. please be assured, we bake our own cakes.
If you would be kind enough to contact me, I would be grateful.
Peter St.Lawrence

Reviewed 8 January 2014

We stayed her on New year's Eve as we had had diner with friends in Amersham and did not want to drive home. The reception staff were warm and welcoming. The room, 111 was quite small but well equipped. As has been remarked by others there was a lovely tea tray and complementary wine and water. Free WiFi in the room was appreciated. There are three small issues with the room. There was a comfortable arm chair, blue I believe, but the fabric had been worn away on the arms to the white underneath. This gave a poor run down appearance which did not correspond with the rest of the room. Secondly there were captive hangars as if we could not be trusted not to steel them and lastly unless you are a fully trained electrical engineer you need to allow a lot of time when tiucking down to work out how to switch the relevant lights off.
We were delighted to find on New year's Day that not only breakfast went on to 2PM but it was a brunch all included in the price.
One tip. For those driving to the hotel from the south the hotel is on the left easily visible by a big Crown sign. Turn left immediately before the hotel and then first right just beyond Prezzos. Then you will find reception and you will be in the car park. If you stop outside the hotel you have gone too far.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your kind words. I have noted your comments and am putting together a plan for replacement or re-upholstering of tired furniture.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

We chose the Crown Inn as a wedding reception venue because we wanted a rustic, informal & intimate setting, but with quality food and a high standard of service. The Crown lived up to all our expectations and more. We couldn't have asked for a better location for our reception.

The staff were fantastic. Peter St Lawrence was extremely attentive and really got what we wanted for the afternoon and evening celebrations. He was very accommodating of the style we wished to have for the dining and seating arrangements and he and the Food and Beverage Manager helped shape our wedding meal adding a 5* quality to the 'school dinners' style of food we wanted. All our guests raved about the food during the meal and I've had loads of messages after the event to say how much the specifically enjoyed the meal.

The venue is cosy, rustic and extremely tasteful. All the bedrooms are full of character and very comfortable. By hiring out the entire Inn for our reception, all out guests were able to stay there for the night, meaning it was just a short walk upstairs to bed rather than a taxi ride to a nearby hotel.

All the hotel staff were very friendly & helpful. We had been slightly worried when the Inn was taken over half way through our planning ahead of the wedding, but we needn't have worried at all. Peter St Lawrence contacted us directly and was good enough to have a Skype meeting with us (we live in Sydney) so we could chat through all the finer details. And he got every part of the reception spot on.

I can highly recommend the Crown as a wedding reception venue, and will certainly be back to stay for a weekend break next time we're in the UK.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
p_stlawrence, General Manager at The Crown Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Thank you for your positive review. We all had a lot of fun hosting the wedding - we love busy events that give us a challenge and allow us to show what we can do. I have another inquiry from Australia now - perhaps we should be advertising there!

Reviewed 4 January 2014

My wife and I hosted the wedding celebrations of our daughter and new son-in-law at The Crown Inn between Christmas and New Year 2013 by taking over the hotel in its entirety for a party of 70 guests over a 24 hour period. It was a complete success. This was in no small part due to the enthusiasm, attention to detail and friendly but efficient service of the entire team on duty over that period and for the run up to the big day itself. We had started our booking of the venue earlier in 2013 under the 'old regime' and were thus a little concerned when the ownership changed and many of the key people we had been dealing with were replaced. In fact, the new team could not have tried harder to make the preparations and the event itself a wonderful occasion. From the Managing Director, Food and Beverages Manager and Chef though to the Reception Team, the Bar Staff, Waitresses and Cleaners, all were most helpful in making it a celebration the happy couple - and we - will remember warmly for many years to come.

The cosiness and old world charm of the hotel's various function rooms and the accommodation on offer were the main attraction to our daughter, initially, as she was looking for informality and intimacy. Being able to take over the whole hotel for the event also meant there were no other distractions for the staff nor 'outsiders' to get in the way. We were a party of 70 but the hotel could probably accommodate up to 80 for a sit down meal. The MD, Peter, and Chef, Will, worked closely with us in person and by email (our daughter lives in Australia!) to make sure we were given what we wanted as well as making very useful and practical suggestions as we went though the planning phase. They were easily able to accommodate our wishes for floral decoration (supplied by our personal choice of florist), our particular wine and beer choices and the special dietary requirements of one or two guests. In particular, the food on the evening, served piping hot to 70 people, was a huge success with all our guests. The menu incorporated some lovely gourmet touches; e.g. the starter of "Seared Scallops with Haggis Quenelles (two ways) Parma Ham Crisp & Whiskey Jus" went down a storm, particularly with our Scottish guests!

We have only minor suggestions for to improve upon the Crown's wedding 'offer' and, we understand, they are quite likely to be taken up as the new owners continue to improve on what it has inherited. Table name/number holders would be a useful addition as well as a discreet built in PA system for relaying speeches/announcements to the main function areas.

With the bar at one end of the hotel, the 'dance floor' at the other and the restaurant in the middle, the venue lends itself well to the diverse needs of a wedding party after the formalities and the main meal are over. Those not wishing to dance the night away were able to sit in comfort enjoying the company of fellow guests without having to shout over the (excellent) band. And once it was all over, the wedding guests did not have far to go to enjoy a comfortable night's sleep in the very individual bedrooms The Crown offers. The buzz of appreciation at breakfast the next day said it all. Some of our more far flung guests enjoyed 2 or 3 nights at the hotel and quite a number of our local friends have stated their intention of making more use of the restaurant in the future.

We can thoroughly recommend The Crown in Amersham as an excellent choice of venue for a memorable wedding celebration.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for your kind words. We really enjoy hosting such a significant event and we are so pleased you enjoyed it.

Reviewed 4 December 2013 via mobile

This is a beautiful traditional hotel - such a refreshing change from big brand hotels. Comfortable, quit room with nice fittings and strong free WiFi. Amazing breakfast & friendly/helpful staff - found me a travel plug, e-mailed invoice & booked taxi with no bother. Parking is safe & convenient.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Anna B
p_stlawrence, General Manager at The Crown Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Thank you for your kind words - we are glad you enjoyed staying.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

I stayed here having not had a great nights sleep at the sister hotel The Kings Arms.

I chose a 'Bailey' room and was delighted. I also had my brother stay over and he stayed in the Kent room, which was the same rate but a small seating area and four poster. The mattress was not too soft or too hard, the pillows feather, the quilt down, the bathroom clean, new and traditional, the shower (over bath) good. The curtains well lined and a pelmet blocking out all light. A great tea tray with good mugs. Complimentary wine and nibbles. Bathrobes, a proper hairdryer, a brilliant full English breakfast......all for £109.

In my opinion, definitely the better of the two Amersham Hotels, both at the same rate.

Room Tip: The Kent Room is large and has a four poster.