“Lovely place, bags of atmosphere but marred by confused service”
Review of The Crown Inn

The Crown Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Amersham
Reviewed 14 February 2014

The Crown is located in Old Amersham and looks like it comes straight out of a British TV sitcom. Beautifully decorated both in the common areas as well as the rooms. Some of the rooms are not accessible via the central reception area and one has to cross the street to reach them. The rooms in the main building are located on two sides of the patio and can be reached via a miriad of stairs reminiscent of Basil's Fawlty Towers hotel - priceless.

The check-in was terrible. I had checked in in the morning, left my credit card details and my suitcase before I headed off to work only to find out upon my return that the reception clerk could not find any proof that I'd ever been there and they had actually been wondering "who that suitcase in the corner belonged to". I did eventually get a room after spending an hour with some friends in the bar wondering where I'd sleep that night.

The bar service is slow and one regularly has to go find someone to take an order for drinks. Breakfast is absolutely good but if one wants a hot cocoa or an expresso (the normal coffee is a disgrace) it gets added to the bill to the tune of GBP2.90 - ghastly habit.

My TV only got repaired on my last day and the internet connection did not work at all 2 out of the 3 days I stayed at the hotel.

Room comfort is fine with a good bed, sufficient pillows to suit anyone's requirement and a very decent shower (be it that the bathroom felt very cold at all times of the day) with lots of nice, fluffy towels. There are coffee and tea facilities in the room. We got the corporate rate which made this bearable but at the common rates this hotel advertises, it is poor value for money.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
p_stlawrence, Owner at The Crown Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

We seem to have let you down on this stay. We are slightly short staffed (a reason - not an excuse), which is a challenge in this industry. We are planning to change the wi-fi installation, which is a large capital expenditure so needs planning. Despite the support from a large company, we seem to have a very sensitive installation.

Please accept my apologies and do contact me directly - peter.stlawrence@thecrownamersham.com

Reviewed 9 February 2014

Decided to have dinner and drinks in the bar. I like this place as it serves good ale. The bar is nice and has an unusual layout and furnishings. Good service and the staff were accommodating and allowed us to mix and natch our order from the bar food and main restaurant menu.

The food was ok. It's reasonably pricey but a limited menu for vegetarians (my wife eats fish only). The salad leaves were very bitter and the desert also tasted slightly on the turn. The bar seemed to close without warning around 10.30. We mentioned the bitter leaves to the waitress, who said she would mention it to the chef.

I would go back for a drink, but not to eat as a Amersham has lots of choice.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review, which i will share with our team. i am sorry the meal was not up to your expectations.

Reviewed 5 February 2014

Me and my wife stayed in a Courtyard Suite(Room 105) for the night and the only word to describe it is 'Wow'. Made us both speechless with the level of quality.

The rooms are well laid out with Super King size Bed and a cast iron bath both facing a television set. The seating and fur throw added a comfort factor. All tea coffee making facilities were perfect with a good choice of quality product and complimentary wine/water/sweets in the room as well. My wife loved the solid wood side tables made from tree trunks. The styling and designer touches in this room were very well done and highly noticeable.

The bathroom was huge with a ceiling mounted large shower head and a double sink. Bathrobes were comfy and large.

The actual hotel is a very old building but the character it has is amazing. It truly was relaxing to sit in the bar with the fireplace lit enjoying a drink to unwind. The service was at all times good with polite staff and all questions were answered swiftly and concisely.

Reservations for dinner were made easily and the food was very good for the price. This was one of the things that impressed me the most. The quality of the food really does speak for itself and for £30 avg per person for 2 courses the portions are more than generous and taste delicious.

Breakfast in the morning was served as a buffet style on the day we chose to stay but all food looked fresh and was warm. There was an ample selection of continental and full english breakfast items you would expect to see from any decent hotel offer. The tea and coffee were pour and serve from thermos jugs - that was the only downside if any to the entire stay as I do like a nice hot cup of coffee.

Parking at the hotel was easy with dedicated parking at the rear and the check out process was quick and painless.

All in all a very pleasurable stay at a truly unique hotel. I would recommend to any of my friends or family.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
p_stlawrence, General Manager at The Crown Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2014

We are so glad you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

I was very much looking forward to visiting the Crown for a weekend out of London but ultimately left disappointed. Even before I arrived the customer service was unacceptable. I called to make a small change two days before. The person on the phone was almost unwilling to talk and told me she can't deal with the change and I should just email. I actually forgave this at the time, perhaps there was a sudden run of visitors, these things happen. Little did I know this was a sign of things to come.

On arrival I was happy. The room was clean, the hotel looked lovely. Exactly as I had expected. (Apart
From the advertised Roberts radio, which to be honest was made a great deal of in the literature but not a great loss yet still a strange omission). We spent a few minutes getting changed and went to dinner. We ordered a drink to start. It eventually arrived with the meal! If I'd have known drinks take 20 minutes to arrive I'd have just ordered the wine straight away.

The food was great which was a plus point. However it was difficult to get the staff's attention at any point during the meal and this was a recurring theme of the weekend.

We also stayed in Room 3 which turned out to be extremely noisy on both days. It's above the bar I believe so I understand why but still very disappointing considering the price we paid.

It's also worth making a point about the shower. It changed temperature constantly, going from cold to scolding within a minute. Very strange but a bit annoying!

On the second day we decided to spend some time in the bar. I say some time, most of it was actually spent waiting in the bar for a member of staff to show. When they did they were helpful and friendly but it was apparent at least one wasn't exactly sure of what they were doing. We also ate and the food again was good.

Possibly the worst part of the weekend was the breakfast on Sunday morning.
The Crown was severely understaffed, it took 40 minutes to get a cooked breakfast, the coffee was cold when it arrived, noting was offered, you'd have to chase staff down for tea or coffee and I had to do the same because there were no plates available! The staff tried hard but it was ridiculous. We finished breakfast very disappointed.

Then we went to check out. A simple process I thought. Not so much! I was given the amount to pay and had to ask for the breakdown. Which turned out to be wrong. So obviously pleased I didn't just pay as was suggested! To be fair, the girl on reception was very new. She told us she'd been there for two days. However to authorise a change to the bill she needed a manager. Who was dealing, for over 25 minutes, with two other unhappy customers, sitting getting feedback. And yes. We had to stand and wait the entire time as she was the only person that could help! Eventually she finished with the others and again, did a good job fixing the problem with the bill and very friendly too. I still think the bill is incorrect but I imagine the hassle of sorting it out probably isn't worth the effort.

So the bad service and staffing really spoiled what would otherwise have been a lovely weekend. I don't think it would take a lot to fix, I hope they do because apart from a few minor issues it could be a fantastic hotel.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
p_stlawrence, Owner at The Crown Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2014

This is obviously a very disappointing read. I have phoned and e-mailed as clearly you did not have the experience you should have. Please accept my apologies and please do reply to my e-mail.
I have reviewed all of this with my team. As you said we do have a few new members of staff, but that is no excuse for poor attention.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

Friends booked us for champagne afternoon tea at the Crown on Sunday afternoon.
Have to say we were not overly impressed! Perhaps we had expected too much but it came as a surprise to find the table laid without a table cloth.
Between the four of us we ordered two varieties of tea. When the waitress arrived with tea at the table she didn't know which was which and ended up with the tea pot lids off, her nose hovering over the open pot and guessing which was which! A request for a pot of hot water eventually resulted in a large vacuum jug with an enormous "hot water" label stuck on the outside - health and safety?
Traditionally afternoon tea is served on a three tier cake plate but not here. Tea was served on a single plate piled high with sandwiches, cake, scones and two pots (jam and cream). This was eventually found a place in the centre of the table. As there were four of us there was so much on the plate that some of the items actually fell off the plate onto the table. The scones were cold and over cooked, so were a little tough on the palette. The cake appeared to be supermarket standard, sliced and piled on the plate.
Overall a very disappointing experience which we will not repeat.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Chippy82

I am sorry to read this. I have just bought the very plates you mentioned. I will speak to chef about making sure they are used. I will review you comments on the scones too, as they are usually very well received. please be assured, we bake our own cakes.
If you would be kind enough to contact me, I would be grateful.
Peter St.Lawrence

Reviewed 8 January 2014

We stayed her on New year's Eve as we had had diner with friends in Amersham and did not want to drive home. The reception staff were warm and welcoming. The room, 111 was quite small but well equipped. As has been remarked by others there was a lovely tea tray and complementary wine and water. Free WiFi in the room was appreciated. There are three small issues with the room. There was a comfortable arm chair, blue I believe, but the fabric had been worn away on the arms to the white underneath. This gave a poor run down appearance which did not correspond with the rest of the room. Secondly there were captive hangars as if we could not be trusted not to steel them and lastly unless you are a fully trained electrical engineer you need to allow a lot of time when tiucking down to work out how to switch the relevant lights off.
We were delighted to find on New year's Day that not only breakfast went on to 2PM but it was a brunch all included in the price.
One tip. For those driving to the hotel from the south the hotel is on the left easily visible by a big Crown sign. Turn left immediately before the hotel and then first right just beyond Prezzos. Then you will find reception and you will be in the car park. If you stop outside the hotel you have gone too far.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your kind words. I have noted your comments and am putting together a plan for replacement or re-upholstering of tired furniture.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

We chose the Crown Inn as a wedding reception venue because we wanted a rustic, informal & intimate setting, but with quality food and a high standard of service. The Crown lived up to all our expectations and more. We couldn't have asked for a better location for our reception.

The staff were fantastic. Peter St Lawrence was extremely attentive and really got what we wanted for the afternoon and evening celebrations. He was very accommodating of the style we wished to have for the dining and seating arrangements and he and the Food and Beverage Manager helped shape our wedding meal adding a 5* quality to the 'school dinners' style of food we wanted. All our guests raved about the food during the meal and I've had loads of messages after the event to say how much the specifically enjoyed the meal.

The venue is cosy, rustic and extremely tasteful. All the bedrooms are full of character and very comfortable. By hiring out the entire Inn for our reception, all out guests were able to stay there for the night, meaning it was just a short walk upstairs to bed rather than a taxi ride to a nearby hotel.

All the hotel staff were very friendly & helpful. We had been slightly worried when the Inn was taken over half way through our planning ahead of the wedding, but we needn't have worried at all. Peter St Lawrence contacted us directly and was good enough to have a Skype meeting with us (we live in Sydney) so we could chat through all the finer details. And he got every part of the reception spot on.

I can highly recommend the Crown as a wedding reception venue, and will certainly be back to stay for a weekend break next time we're in the UK.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
p_stlawrence, General Manager at The Crown Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Thank you for your positive review. We all had a lot of fun hosting the wedding - we love busy events that give us a challenge and allow us to show what we can do. I have another inquiry from Australia now - perhaps we should be advertising there!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Amersham
The Kings Arms Hotel
The Grove Hotel
The Grove Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chandler's Cross
The Crazy Bear Hotel - Beaconsfield

Been to The Crown Inn? Share your experiences!