“Very sweet very quaint”
Review of The Crown Inn

The Crown Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Amersham
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Love the rooms, nice simple and very modern contained in an old old exterior. It works. Most of the technology in the room was either difficult to work or didn't ... But this is just a remark not a criticism as we didn't really need it. The lead pane windows re super and the rooms surprisingly warm. Great walk in shower.,bath in bedroom also fun. Cobbles in courtyard could be a bore but fine for us. Also strong smell of fish and chips in reception a bit of a pity. The Staff are very sweet

Room Tip: Rooms 101-103
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
p_stlawrence, Owner at The Crown Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Thanks you for your kind review. We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 19 March 2014

We stayed at the Crown for an evening in February for a family birthday gathering. We were lucky to be upgraded to a suite, and I absolutely loved our room, which we entered through the courtyard. It was well decorated with a lovely comfortable bed, sitting area, desk with complimentary wine and chocolates, gorgeous footed bathtub and huge walk in shower. There was a very nice attention to detail in the room, and I only wish we could have stayed and relaxed there a bit longer. Our family had a very nice dinner in the restaurant, and breakfast the next morning was included. There was a large spread of pastries and cold items, and a cooked breakfast was available as well for no additional charge. Just lovely - I would stay again if I was ever in the area!

Room Tip: I did not get a look at the standard rooms, but can definitely recommend a suite in the courtyard ar...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you will be back again soon.

Reviewed 6 March 2014

Once again, The Crown was a perfect place for a corporate away-day!

Professional, comfortable and accommodating.

I highly recommend The Crown when you need to get out of London for a team away-day and stay-over, but don't want to be too far away.

Thanks again!
Beth Arzy, EA at Channel 4

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank BethTBS
p_stlawrence, General Manager at The Crown Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Thank you for your kind review - it is much appreciated. We hope you will be back soon.

Reviewed 1 March 2014

We recently stayed at The Crown and found the rooms to beautiful and comfortable, and the hotel centrally located in what are lovely surroundings with easy access to the rest of the district.

The two things that really let the Crown down was the attitude of their staff and the breakfasts that come included with the price. We have stayed at a number of properties listed on the Mr & Mrs Smith website, and I am afraid that the Crown is not of the same standard.

To be fair to the staff there were never enough of them to cover the services required by their guests and they did what they could but it was obvious this was wearing them down. So I have to lay the blame squarely at the feat of the management.

The cooked breakfasts were not made to order. Ok, I can live with that...but I do expect them to be hot. There was no milk with the breakfast cereals ... there was only one member of staff covering the reception office and the dining room ... but the laughter and horseplay of the kitchen staff was audible throughout but not once did they replenish any of the food that was laid out. The very sad part of this is that many of the clientèle were much like myself in that they were business people used to travelling and staying at budget chains like Premier inn and the like. The difference being that at budget chains you would get much better service and you might even get toast and fresh coffee delivered to your table.

This could be a great establishment if they invested some time and effort in the systems around the business.

Must also note the housekeepers were excellent.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
p_stlawrence, General Manager at The Crown Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Thank you for your review, both the good and the bad. You are right - we are suffering a staff shortage and are actively recruiting. I will also review your comments on breakfast with our head chef, as clearly some work is needed here. I hope you will give us another try in the future and am confident you will find us much improved.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

We went for afternoon tea here, I understand a place being old worldy and have no issue with that, this does not mean it needs to be filthy and the crowns bar area is just that. When we received out afternoon tea, the first sandwich finger tasted alright and from there they went down hill, all of them made with stale bread, the scones were well overcooked and the cake was dense and did not taste good at all. On the whole a complete let down, I would suggest that instead of staff members boasting to customers that they are always late and nobody every says anything, that they should maybe pick up a cloth and clean and maybe polish up the dirty looking tea pots. Will not be returning.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank magsymay

I am sorry to read about your experience. We have as a result reviewed and revised our afternoon tea offering. I have also dealt with the tardy staff member.
I would be grateful if you could contact me personally to arrange another visit as our guest.

Peter St.Lawrence

Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

The hotel is easy to find and has onsite parking for guests. The hotel is fab and has a mix of old and contemporary but very stylish! The room in the main inn was spacious and had the biggest most comfortable bed, along with the best shower! The hotel was peaceful at night making it a perfect place to stay. We didn't eat in the hotel for dinner as lots of nice places within walking distance of hotel at a better price for us, although their breakfast was fab - best scramble egg :) and I have no doubt dinner would have been equally as good had we dined! would highly recommend and stay again, staff were also very welcoming and friendly - thank you

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

I am glad you enjoyed the hotel. Come back soon.

Reviewed 14 February 2014

The Crown is located in Old Amersham and looks like it comes straight out of a British TV sitcom. Beautifully decorated both in the common areas as well as the rooms. Some of the rooms are not accessible via the central reception area and one has to cross the street to reach them. The rooms in the main building are located on two sides of the patio and can be reached via a miriad of stairs reminiscent of Basil's Fawlty Towers hotel - priceless.

The check-in was terrible. I had checked in in the morning, left my credit card details and my suitcase before I headed off to work only to find out upon my return that the reception clerk could not find any proof that I'd ever been there and they had actually been wondering "who that suitcase in the corner belonged to". I did eventually get a room after spending an hour with some friends in the bar wondering where I'd sleep that night.

The bar service is slow and one regularly has to go find someone to take an order for drinks. Breakfast is absolutely good but if one wants a hot cocoa or an expresso (the normal coffee is a disgrace) it gets added to the bill to the tune of GBP2.90 - ghastly habit.

My TV only got repaired on my last day and the internet connection did not work at all 2 out of the 3 days I stayed at the hotel.

Room comfort is fine with a good bed, sufficient pillows to suit anyone's requirement and a very decent shower (be it that the bathroom felt very cold at all times of the day) with lots of nice, fluffy towels. There are coffee and tea facilities in the room. We got the corporate rate which made this bearable but at the common rates this hotel advertises, it is poor value for money.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
p_stlawrence, Owner at The Crown Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

We seem to have let you down on this stay. We are slightly short staffed (a reason - not an excuse), which is a challenge in this industry. We are planning to change the wi-fi installation, which is a large capital expenditure so needs planning. Despite the support from a large company, we seem to have a very sensitive installation.

Please accept my apologies and do contact me directly - peter.stlawrence@thecrownamersham.com

Also consider these accommodations in or near Amersham
The Kings Arms Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chandler's Cross
The Kings Arms
The Kings Arms
#2 of 2 in Berkhamsted

Been to The Crown Inn? Share your experiences!