“Avoid....”
Review of The Crown Inn

The Crown Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Amersham
Reviewed 1 July 2014

While the location and surroundings are nice, the room I got is dirty and run down. There is mould in the bathroom, stains all over the place, the furniture is old and not maintained properly.
The carpet looks so old and dirty that I do not even want to walk without shoes. TV (from the 70's) is not working. My window overlooks a car park and there is a huge car parked so close I can touch it when opening the window. Overall very disappointing.

We arrived in a meeting room with left overs from previous meeting, documents, open bottles of water, tea not set up, and left over milk which add turned sour.

On the positive, staff is helpful and reactive.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Emm92500
p_stlawrence, Owner at The Crown Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

I am very sorry about the meeting - there was an administration error which of course should not have happened. I believe you stayed in out standard rooms. We are planning to upgrade these in the near future.

Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Would like to score The Crown Inn higher, it's in a lovely location and overall is a very pleasant place to stay.

Basic problems I can see; too many rooms for overall size of amenities, although Old Amersham is not exactly lacking in alternative restaurants or pubs, it does become obvious in the morning for breakfast though, not nearly enough space for all potential guests and understaffed when guests are split between the two dining areas.

As I have a close friend who owns are similar size hotel and helped out on numerous occasions I am more than aware that breakfasts can be difficult to manage, especially if you have a wedding party staying as well. However even after receiving an apology that my order had been mixed up it still took 30 mins to get a, I must admit reasonable, full English, a total of 45 mins. Pitfalls of dining alone....

Overall good but could do with more attention to basic detail.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for your review. Clearly we have still some way to go on a few service issues. We have a new team in place and are working hard to get things right. Weekend breakfast is always a challenge with a lot of people arriving at the same time. However it should not take 45 mins - I do apologise.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Stayed for Saturday night for my first evening away with my girlfriend. The Crown itself is a beautiful property and the room we had been allocated was lovely. Unfortunately, from dinner on the Saturday evening through breakfast on the Sunday morning, it was clear that the staff literally could not cope. They were extremely polite but seemed completely unmanaged or organised.

We ordered dinner in the restaurant and only once we had ordered were we told that the dish my girlfriend had ordered was not available. Disappointing but not the end of the world. I then attempted to order a bottle of wine....my first, second and third choices were not available and when I received my fourth choice it was warm. As we were ordering the table next to us was complaining as they had received their food but one of the dishes was incorrect and they were told that that dish would take 15 minutes to make by which time the rest of the table would be well into their meal. They asked for all the food to be returned so it could be returned together and when the dishes arrived, there was once again an issue with the vegetarian dish which appeared to have bacon on it! It was at this stage that the waiter who seemed to be overseeing things told us that there was a wedding reception also going on in the property and that he was struggling as it was only his second night working there. I can only hope the wedding party was getting better service than us.

Breakfast unfortunately followed in the same vein. When we went down there was a mass of people loitering in the breakfast room all waiting for food as all the hot breakfast hotplates were empty together with the juice jugs. Each of the tables had used dishes on it and there was nowhere to sit. Most people were choosing to sit outside as it was such a lovely morning but the 2 girls rushing around simply were not ready to seat people outside as no place settings were laid out. It was somewhat chaos. One poor chap waited patiently for 20 minutes for two poached eggs!

I could go on but I presume the above illustrates our experience. It was such a shame as everyone was very polite but it is unacceptable to charge £160 a night for B&B plus £100 for dinner for two and expect customers to settle for the disorganised service that accompanies those prices. It just looks like a few more experienced staff should be on service at all times together with some actual visible management.

I am not one to simply write reviews on TA as an easy way out so did express my feelings at the time we checked out (albeit in less detail).

If you do book, ask at the time whether they have a function on!

Such a shame for such lovely surroundings but we shall not be returning.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

It is very disappointing to read your review, but I appreciate the honesty and the tone of it. You have given us valuable feedback which we take seriously. We have had a change in our team and are perhaps a little light on experience at this stage. I wonder if you would be kind enough to contact me peter.stlawrence@thecrownamersham.com

Reviewed 18 June 2014

The visit did not start well when there was no record of our booking, despite the fact that I had called the previous day to book dinner (this booking had also got lost). A room was eventually found, which was pleasant but where the design had not fully taken account of practicalities (such as a sky light that lit the room right up at sunrise). Dinner in the sister hotel (restaurant closed on Sundays - not well publicised) was a disappointment with little atmosphere. Breakfast good, but I will not rush back.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
p_stlawrence, General Manager at The Crown Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

I am sorry we could not find the booking. We have reviewed all e-mails but could not find the booking. I believe our reception manager upgraded you to a suite and arranged something for your anniversary. We do try to make amends if we have made mistakes.

I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I booked for a night get away for a birthday. Amersham is a lovely place with some nice walks if the weather is good. Perfect for a quick get away from London. The hotel I found on secret escapes and although it does have its charm I have to mark it down for our room. Online the main inn rooms are supposed to have a bath - ours didn't, this was a reason I chose the room. When I brought this up I was told the website was wrong and they knew about it but hadn't changed it. We couldn't change rooms as they were full and we weren't offered as much as a drink to apologise. I then checked and noticed other things were missing from the online description. Breakfast was ok but again ok. Overall the hotel is nice and the people were friendly enough but for the money you pay I was expecting it to be of a higher standard.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

James

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry you did not fully enjoy the stay. I will have the website error corrected.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Stayed here for my brother's wedding and it was just unbelievable. We were lucky enough to get a courtyard room and on entering we were stunned by how good it was. The walk-in shower was superb, the room was opulence personified with a four-poster bed, flat screen tv and roll-top bath in the room too. All this plus filter coffee and even a half bottle of wine waiting for us!!

The food and drink really do have to be tried as you will not taste much better and at a very reasonable price too. The breakfast is buffet style and this was the only area that let the whole experience down, if I am allowed to be a pedant here..... We arrived about 9:45 (breakfast is until 10:30) and waited about 15 minutes for the server to appear with our cutlery and to order coffee. We never saw him after an initial foray into the room so helped ourselves to cutlery but sadly did not get coffee. Still, the food was excellent once again but just felt this was not up to their standard

Room Tip: Always ask for a courtyard room
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your comments - we are glad you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I was quite excited about this hotel as the rooms looked very lovely in the pictures and actually the room itself was great apart from the lack of thorough cleaning. All the lovely exposed wood was covered in dust and there was a film of dust on the floor under the bed which is a problem for me being asthmatic. I had to use my inhaler constantly during the entire stay.

We were made to eat in the bar along with another very unhappy couple. I understood that there was a wedding going on, but then what they should have done was to swap the trestle tables in the bar area for the individual ones and lay them appropriately.

The food was disgusting, not enough breakfast variety unless you are into eggs! The service was haphazard. The manger needs training in customer service skills; " customer is always right" no excuses.

I don't recommend this place

3  Thank Missuk88

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. We had two big parties in house which did mean using the bar for dinner, not the restaurant, which is not ideal.
I have noted and reviewed your comments with the team here.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Amersham
The Kings Arms Hotel
Hotel ibis budget Beaconsfield
Chartridge Lodge
Chartridge Lodge
#2 of 2 in Chesham

Been to The Crown Inn? Share your experiences!