Lowest prices for your stay
£208
Fully refundable before Fri, 24 May
Multiple ways to pay
Melanie E
London, United Kingdom

Lovely building but disappointing experience.

Review of The Crown Inn
2.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 7 Apr 2024
Firstly, this is a lovely old building, nicely decorated and full of character. Staff at check-in were very friendly.

However there are 2 areas where we were not happy.

Firstly breakfast. This is not a cheap hotel. Breakfast however was barely as good as a Premier Inn. On the buffet, everything was either in a packet or had clearly come out of a packet - sliced bread, sliced cheese, yoghurt in individual plastic pots, fruit salad - but no other fresh fruit. The Full English breakfast did not come with toast. There are 2 excellent delicatessens in Amersham and no doubt many good suppliers of high quality local produce. The Crown does not appear to use them.

The second issue was about our dog. We booked the hotel on the basis that it was dog friendly, and there was a dog bowl in our room. We booked dinner in the hotel restaurant and were told that we could bring the dog but we would be eating in the bar. This is something that we encounter occasionally in other hotels. In fact, there were 2 dining rooms, and then a completely empty room where we were placed. One other couple ate there that evening. It was completely lacking in any atmosphere. It did not feel like a treat.

The following morning we were placed in the same room for breakfast. This time we were completely alone. This is not being dog friendly. This is grudgingly allowing people to bring a dog. It would be better if they were honest and said they would not allow dogs in the eating areas at all. This hotel is not dog friendly and it shouldn't pretend that it is. We ended up eating 2 meals in an empty room. It also meant that we couldn't get waiting staff attention as they weren't in the same room as us so if we wanted something, we had to wait for them to come and check or go and find them.

It is a shame. The Crown could be a lovely experience. But for us, we thought it was not worth the money we paid (which was not insubstantial) and did not give us the indulgent weekend away that we had hoped for.
Date of stay: April 2024
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1.0 of 5 bubblesValue
    • ZenHotels.com
    3.0 miles from The Crown Inn
    View more hotels in Amersham
    1,408 results
    All reviews complimentary wine courtyard suite roll top bath sister hotel high street main building lovely hotel breakfast was delicious lovely room full english reception staff a lovely stay weekend break car park night's sleep comfy bed one night stay
    Selected filters
    Reviewed 1 April 2024

Pretty horrendous 24 hours at this hotel. Room didn’t have a radiator, so unless you can sleep with the air con pumping away all night you’re going to freeze in your sleep. Huge condensation on the windows when we woke up, the bed felt damp and my partner hasn’t been well since. BE CAREFUL IN THE BAR - £32 for two baileys on ice. It’s extortionate and a complete rip off, I would highly recommend having a drink at one of the other pubs (Saracens Head round the corner has realistic pricing). I did challenge the pricing for our round of drinks as it hit £86 for four nightcap drinks that we ordered at the bar - “I will check the pricing but for now that’s what it is” as he handed the card machine over. Majority of the staff were borderline rude, we were asked to book a breakfast slot for the morning which we asked to have the same time as our family who had checked in slightly earlier.. “How am I supposed to know what time they are booked in, I’ve only just started”. Breakfast is passable, a few slithers of salmon and some slightly stale toasted muffins.

I stayed here quite a few years ago and had a lovely stay. I can’t quite believe how different this hotel is now. The new owners have taken away what was a beautiful countryside hotel and turned it into an overpriced money extractor. Apparently the restaurant is very tasty, but everything we experienced about this hotel is enough for me to NEVER book here again.

Room tip: Avoid the bar and bring a hot water bottle
    • Trip type: Travelled with family
    Reviewed 1 April 2024

I stayed because I was attending a wedding at Kings Chapel which is just a few steps away. I had a wonderful room, Suite 103, and I wish I could have stayed an extra night or two to make the most of it.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
    Daniella Ashfield, Other at The Crown Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hello! Thank you so much for your lovely review! Daniella and the Old Amersham Hotels team

Reviewed 30 March 2024

A room with a beautiful view of the old town hall and church.
    Parking excellent
    Original 17c features makes this an attractive hotel with original squeaky floorboards.
    Maybe a hand rail to the en suite shower room could be considered.
    Although we didn’t use it, the restaurant didn’t look appealing.
    Breakfast was excellent.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Hello! Thank you for your feedback! I will pass your comments on to our maintenance team. We hope to see you again soon! Daniella and the Old Amersham Hotels team

Reviewed 28 March 2024

Good things about this hotel: The staff were friendly and it was a beautiful building right in the centre of Old Amersham. It was good to be back in Amersham, near where | grew up.

Less good things: I woke up in the night and needed the loo but there were no electrics so the room (room 20) was pitch black. The electrics must have failed after I'd come back to the room after dinner and gone to bed. I managed to grope my way into the bathroom but fortunately I'm not elderly or disabled - this would have been a nightmare if I had been. I see from previous reviews that this wasn't a new problem (see review of March 16, for example). I thought I was just being stupid and hadn't worked out how the lights worked. But whichever combination of dimmer switches and ordinary switches I tried, nothing worked. I told reception the next morning and the lady apologised but I was a bit surprised that she didn't ask for any more details, even my room number. I thought it was a one-off but judging by other reviews, it wasn't. This is surely a maintenance failure with potentially serious implications, which needs to be sorted immediately.

The breakfast was very disappointing for a four star hotel. The buffet was uninspired with very little for people like me who aren't keen on a full English. It would have been good to have fresh fruit salad and a more interesting range of breads and patisserie. There were no cheeses and just one shrivelled slice of charcuterie. My brother had the full English but reported that the sausage was a cheap, bread-crumb full version of the much better sausage he'd had the previous day. There was no brown bread - they'd run out. We had breakfast at 8.30am - how can everything have run out? This seems like a lack of organisation, particularly as it was mid-week and the hotel was by no means full.

Room tip: Avoid rooms on ground floor (including 20) - right on the main road, small and dark.
    Trip type: Travelled with family

Hello - thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed review. We are so sorry for the issues you came across in your bedroom and that you were not impressed by your breakfast. I will pass on your feedback to my team. If you would like to expand on your feedback - please email fom@oldamershamhotels.com. Thank you so much. Daniella and the Old Amersham Hotels team

Reviewed 24 March 2024

Great location. Room was well kitted out and clean. There was a good choice of both continental and cooked breakfast. There are several other quirky pubs and eating outlets to visit within a short walk and a Tesco superstore for those forgotten essentials.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
    Daniella Ashfield, Other at The Crown Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2024

Hello! Thank you so much for your review! We hope to see you again soon! Daniella and the Old Amersham Hotels team