“Relaxed Fun & Great Staff!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Swan

The Swan
Ranked #19 of 71 Restaurants in Amersham
Price range: US$13 - US$32
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Kids, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Bar Scene, Child-friendly
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
“Relaxed Fun & Great Staff!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

Firstly, thank you to our lovely waitress for putting up with our rowdy group on Fathers' Day 2014. Six of us descended with the fifth member arriving 1/2 an hour later due to work commitments - our waitress didn't blink as she calmly set another place.
We had garlic breads and olives as picky bits whilst deciding on our meal selection, all served with great patience. We then had a selection of starters and were sharing them amongst us and then onto our mains, again with a number of our party sharing and swapping about. All of the food was fairly good; hot and tasty. I cannot claim that it is amongst the best I've ever eaten, but it was tasty and the portion sizes are relatively good. Drinks were brought to our table and, considering we were sat upstairs, delivered promptly. The staff were all fabulous and very good humoured. The service delivered was good without being overly attentive. All-in-all, we had a thoroughly enjoyable afternoon and were all too full for dessert. Although part of a major group, the venue is very comfortable and the menu varied with something for everyone.
My only gripe would be with the ladies toilets - 2 of 3 out of order, but only one notice on one toilet, the other just locked and easily opened - it would be an understatement to describe this particular loo as disgusting, as a member of our party was unfortunate enough to discover. That said, it didn't detract from the overall experience and we will, no doubt, return in the near future - the best recommendation we could give :0

• Visited June 2014

Amersham, United Kingdom
“Good meal, good service, & nice pub”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

We had intended eating at The Eagle opposite The Swan, but when we found they no longer served evening meals during the week, we booked at the Swan instead, & were glad we did. The food was very nice indeed, the waiting staff pleasant & efficient, & the surroundings nice. As noted elsewhere, the pie could have had a little more meat content, although my wife said it was very tasty, & the 'sharing' pud was excellent, giving a taster of most of the desserts on offer. The only reasons for 4 rather than 5 stars are that it was a tad pricey perhaps for what you get (although we downloaded their current money-off offer which helped), & we weren't entirely sure about the style & standard of decoration. We did however have a very nice meal, so thank you to the Swan & your staff - we'll be back!

• Visited July 2014
Amersham, England, United Kingdom
“My 50th celebrations”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

A very important birthday for me and wanted my family and friends to enjoy! 16 of us had the best time...Katie (half pint) our waitress was very patient and polite and put up with us...bless her. The food and service was excellent. Totally recommend the steak and ale pie. We weren't rushed and had a whole area to ourselves. I have been here a few times for family get togethers and they have never let us down. To the staff at The Swan....I thank you! See you again soon

• Visited June 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Perfect family pub”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

Have been here quite a few times recently, and the food has always been great. There's a very extended children's menu (though mine always have the burger!) and their meals are always served with the same care as the adults'. Portions are a good size, not massive, but you won't go hungry!
The garden is ok, you have to cross the carpark to get there, but the kids love it as they can roam through the bushes - and you get a peaceful meal time ;-)
Having said all this, we've never seen many other children there, so it's perfectly suitable for meals out without the children!

• Visited May 2014
Great Missenden
“Good, but could be better!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

I think for the cost I should be raving about this place, but I was sadly disappointed.

I had the slow-cooked British beef & Black Sheep Ale pie with thyme carrots & British summer cabbage mash (£11.95), and I have to admit that it was tasty, and the pastry wonderfully light. However, the filling was stingy; too runny, not enough beef but loads of carrots (annoying as there were plenty of carrots served with the meal too!).

They had ran out of the salted caramel & choclate pastry pot, so I had the treacle tart which was pleasant.

Beatifully presented, and the service was not too bad for a busy Friday night.

• Visited May 2014