“Comfortable if peculiar room providing good value.”

The Kings Arms Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Amersham
Lubrin, Spain
“Comfortable if peculiar room providing good value.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

We stayed for one night when attending a function near by. Our room was in the new block on the ground floor and was comfortable if slightly peculiar in its decor. The colour scheme and fur throw made it look like a Hollywood representation of a room in a brothel! However on the plus side it was away from the bar area and thus quiet apart from the cars on the gravel car park which woke us early the following day. The room was well equipped and the range of teas/coffee etc was exceptional. The bed proved comfortable and the room was a good temperature . It did smell badly of disinfectant when we first arrived though. More like a hospital than an old coaching inn. Breakfast was very good and the staff friendly. It is good to have eggs freshly cooked and the bacon and sausage were good quality items.
One note that did jar was the staff standing outside the entrance to the guest bedrooms smoking and the very grumpy chef who seemed to scowl at everyone in the car park when he too was indulging in his nicotine habit.Notwithstanding that it was a pleasant stay and I would not hesitate to use again when in the area.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
p_stlawrence, General Manager at The Kings Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
I am glad you enjoyed your stay. Your description of our 'new block' rooms made me chuckle - the art work and style is inherited and maybe not what I would have chosen!
Thanks also for the feed back on the staff and their nicotine habits. i will be having some strong words.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

At £120, I had high expectations of this place. The bathroom reflected the price, though it was small. The room was also on the small side, with a sloping roof, resulting in a few bumps on the head. The decor was not to my taste either, being very modern. We had dinner for two in the restaurant, which I cannot fault. The staff were very attentive and the food was delicious. Breakfast was good too. I'd recommend going for a meal, but not to stay.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your comments. I am sorry you felt the room was overpriced. It is not a comment we hear often, but we will bear it in mind. Thanks also for your kind comments on the restaurant - particularly pleasing as we have built a new team there.
Amersham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

Open and serving a high quality roast dinner after 4pm on a Sunday in Amersham is a rarity as the majority of other establishments stop serving food at 4pm. We sat near the bar and the quality of service and food was second to none. The barman and Francis from the restaurant both provided excellent service. The food was of the highest quality as was the wine and atmosphere, this is popular with locals and tourists alike. The building is a beautiful low beamed black and white type (watch out tall people), give it a go and its also competitively priced too. Enjoy.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your kind review - much appreciated.
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

We recently stayed at the King's Arms for three nights. We loved the rooms with all the amenities and the wonderful ambiance of the dining/sitting/reception area. The staff was welcoming, helpful and lovely.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
We are very glad you enjoyed the hotel - come again soon.
Teramo, Italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

I stayed here as I needed to stay in Amersham Old town for a few days, and this hotel has the better reviews of the two hotels.

I have to say that service was pretty good, and they were very helpful when I queried the room, even suggesting to try the other hotel (which is a sister hotel).

The proportions of the room were okay, cleanliness good, bar and breakfast good. ( I chose an executive room in the new area at the back of the hotel)

However, there were two or three areas of the room that just weren't to my liking. I appreciate this is a personal opinion, and others may prefer what I don't like, but hopefully others may find this useful.

The mattress was incredibly soft, so much so that just a slight move meant my husband was interrupted, almost like a water bed! I checked out the mattress and it was pocket sprung but very basic and quite old. Similarly the pillows were foam rather than feather and very big, so even just one pillow was too high. Lastly the curtains, whilst backed with blackout material they didn't stop the light around the frame. There is no pelmet and the track just fits the window, with a light outside so created a 'halo' around the curtains.

The next morning I quickly checked out the sister hotel and decided to move there.

No quibbles from The Kings Arms, even though I'd booked three nights.

Having stayed a further two nights at The Crown , I would definitely place it ahead of The Kings Arms. See my other review as to other benefits.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your fair review - i am glad we kept you in one of our hotels. We are aware that next year we have to plan some replacement of items, mattresses being one of them.
I will also check on the light issue from outside - we may need to redesign some of the curtains.
We appreciate you taking the time to give the feedback.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

We stayed in this hotel on Saturday 16th November (room 301) and made good use of the bar and restaurant as well as the room.

The Restaurant - Loved it! My partner and I both had fantastic evening meals and cannot fault the food or the service. I had bread and olive oil for a starter, and to be honest, it was a bit much for one person. Almost half a loaf was served! My chicken pie was stunning and my partner fell in love with the ox cheek. We waddled out of there two hours later in to the bar.

The Bar - Loved it! We sat next to the roaring fire on Saturday night and had a good couple of bottles of wine. Outside it was windy and rainy and it was really nice being cocooned in the comfortable bar which had a good, buzzy atmosphere.

The Room - On first impressions, our room was great. We were in 301 which has its own staircase to take you up to bedroom. 301 was a nice enough room but I think a soft refurbishment must be on the cards soon. Obviously, it's an old old building, and everything in the room leant to the side. Even the bed! But then again, you're not staying in a multi modern Hilton hotel, you're in an exquisite old building...and old buildings lean! The only real issue I had with the room is that you can hear what's going on in the bar, and hear the murmurings from the customers there. But as the bar closes at 11.30pm, it's not really a problem, but it might be if you want an early night.

Breakfast was good as well and we left happily at 9am on Sunday morning.

Thanks The Kings Arms. It was a lovely weekend.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your very positive review. Come again soon!
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

Having experienced some poor accommodation in Old Amersham on several other visits to the area to see my wife's daughter and her significant other half, it was so refreshing to stay at the Kings Arms - we will certainly stay there again. Our room in the building at the rear of the hotel was clean, comfortable and well equiped - no complaints here at all. The staff were lovely, efficient and polite. The breakfast was superb -- wide choice of everything one could wish for. One down side was that when we arrived, prior to checking in, we had a bar meal which unfortunately cold (which we mentioned to the barman, and the portions were very small and unsuited for a trencherman - and they were expensive too. However, we would not let this deter us from staying here again but doubt if we would have a bar meal again.

1 Thank Keith W
p_stlawrence, General Manager at The Kings Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Thank you for the review and I am glad we are half way there! I will review your comments with our team as even if you are slightly late for breakfast, it should have been easy enough to rustle something cooked up for you.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Amersham
The Crown Inn
#1 of 2 in Waddesdon
Hartwell House
Hartwell House
#1 of 1 in Hartwell

Been to The Kings Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!