“What a gem”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Amersham
Amersham, United Kingdom
“What a gem”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I stayed at the Kings Arms Hotel this weekend and cannot fault it. The reception staff were helpful and showed me to my room. The room itself (no 12) was a luxurious suite with beautiful black beams, four poster bed, TV etc. (old and modern combined) - I felt very spoiled. Breakfast was also of a high standard with a large selection on offer and attentive waiting staff. Amersham is a lovely town and this hotel compliments the traditional high street. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
p_stlawrence, Owner at The Kings Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Thank you for your kind review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Stayed for two nights to attend a wedding. Cannot fault the wedding and the service received. However, we stayed in room 6 which is over the archway of the drive and above the bar for the hotel. At 12.30am I had to telephone the bar, twice, to ask the bar users to be quietened as the noise was horrendous. Our bedroom window opened on to the street below too and the noise from service vehicles coming to the hotel at 6.30am on our first morning was also an unwelcome annoyance. Our bedroom door was also adajecent to the locked access door to the hotel rooms which slammed continually by other guests at all hours and vibrated throughout our room. The breakfast was ok. Not much choice.
Cannot fault the wedding element but the room was expensive for what we had- lights did not work in the bathroom, the room was dim, the bed was titled. The location is excellent and there is plenty of parking. I would recommend that you opt for a new room set out the back in the barn-style accommodation and not be charmed by the older rooms.

Room Tip: Do not stay in rooms 6, 7 or 8.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NatlovesElvis
p_stlawrence, Owner at The Kings Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Thank you for your review. I am glad you enjoyed the wedding. It is difficult to balance the noise aspect as the wedding party requested the later bar and generally occupied most of the rooms. I take on board your comment about the corridor security door and will have that looked at.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 27 June 2014

We'd booked this hotel through Hotels.com and the day before we were due to check in we got a call letting us know that an "important corporate client" wished to extend their stay and therefore we would not have a room. At least hotels.com was able to assist us with finding an alternative. I won't bother again. Clearly I'm not "important" to them.

Room Tip: It helps to work for an important corporate client.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank BarbaraE3
I am embarrassed by this review. We have clearly mis-handled a tight booking situation and added insult to injury. Please accept my apologies. If you would be kind enough to contact me at gm@kings-arms-hotel.com I would be grateful.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Booked 6 nights while attending a course in the town.
First impressions----- olde worlde beams andcountry pub atmosphere.Not 4star,but great location a very pleasant town.
Room ok.
Breakfast service disorganised in extreme.Cold plates no presentation of menu, poached eggs brought on a tea plate.
No milk on table,no butter or preserves on table so this meal was a chore, up and down from table to buffet constantly .Encounters with other residents trying to navigate a disorganised service station.
Thought about moving out but was busy with little time to cope----hotels are meant to be refuges'
Room was clean but only one set of small toiletries was provided over 6 days, only 3

packets of biscuits and these were cheap custard creams.One day no bath mat .
Given the disastrous breakfast arrangements and the e perience of colleagues I did not take an evening meal --- there are many other options in town.
On check out I listed all of theorists ace above and was given a good hearing by one of the directors and an acceptable recompense,but wish this hadn't been necessary.,overall this hotel detracted fro a week I had anticipated for six months. Poor show! Get your act together .Amersham take note!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
p_stlawrence, Owner at The Kings Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
I believe you spoke to one of my colleagues. Please be assure we have improved our breakfast arrangements in particular. Thank you for the feedback, painful as it is.
Bucks
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

I had not been here for years,but on a recommendation tried this for dinner and was pleasantly surprised. A lovely old building ,the dining room retains loads of charm and style although our table itself was rather cheap and nasty.
Staff were welcoming and willing to help. A newish menu has a wide selection for starters and mains. Crab salad was well received and i thought the terrine excellent except the brioche serving could be more substantial.
Salmon for the girls looked and tasted good. I had Guinea fowl which was as good as i have had anywhere. Puddings,bread and butter was good.
Wine list,not to many that i would want to drink but a decent pinot .
Price for 4 including drinks and a house added8% service charge £200
Reasonable
Will return

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank ChilternRugby
p_stlawrence, Owner at The Kings Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
I am so glad you liked it! We are trying to offer good value, good fresh produce and a friendly service. It is nice to here we are on track!
Middlesex
Reviewed 3 June 2014

With only 18 days until their wedding, my daughter and future son-in-law were in the unenviable position of having to find a new reception venue. Amazingly, The Kings Arms Hotel was able to accommodate them and a disaster was averted and turned into a great success!
The wedding reception was held in The King's Chapel, a totally self-contained and recently refurbished building situated behind the main hotel. Having once been a chapel the venue is full of character with a spectacular glass domed ceiling, a mezanine floor and even a large pulpit! With candles lit and tables laid, the dining room looked spectacular.
The Wedding Breakfast was received very well by all guests, the food was hot, plentiful and succulent and the service excellent, as was the evening buffet which many guests remarked was the best they had been served at any wedding they had attended.
As I think you will appreciate by now, our experience of The Kings Chapel/Kings Arms Hotel was extremely favourable, and thanks to Eloise, Wedding Co-ordinator and her trusty staff, each and everyone of whom were delightful, extremely helpful and all of whom carried out their duties to the enth degree, my daughter and son-in-law's wedding day truly was a day to remember for all the right reasons.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your kind review. We enjoyed the challenge of a short notice wedding and really enjoy hosting these important family occasions.
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 30 May 2014

The historic rooms I have not stayed in. But I have stayed in the new edition which is as others have described. The fact is that the shower is very small and its a bit pokey but still a decent value for the money which is why I rate it very good. It is what it is. There is a great outdoor area if the weather cooperates and the food isn't half bad either. I"ve stayed 2 times and I'm sure I'll be back.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank JoeyQuest
We appreciate your comments and kind words and look forward to seeing you again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Amersham
The Crown Inn
#1 of 1 in Hartwell
Red Lion Hotel
Red Lion Hotel
#1 of 1 in Wendover

Been to The Kings Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!