“Beautiful Cottage :) will be back!”
Review of Old Post Cottage

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Buckingham
Old Post Cottage
Ranked #3 of 4 Buckingham B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 December 2012

This was myself and my Girlfriends first stay away being newly engaged, we was looking for a place close to Silverstone as we was down for the Moto Gp Racing, we easily booked our room via Email, Jennifer was very helpful, after 3 hours ride in the rain, we arrived, and was welcomed, and felt straight at home, i felt safe leaving my bike locked up there, we had tea/coffee in our room :) and had a brilliant bath, then off for a 40 mins walk to the nearest village and Pub (Bull & Butcher) the next morning we was up early for breakfast with the other guests and then off to Silverstone, overall the stay was perfect and we enjoyed our weekend, i would love to stay here next year for Motogp :D many thanks Adam

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 July 2012

Just returned from our 2nd stay at the old Post Cottage.We went for Grand Prix weekend, the Bed and breakfast is about 2.5 miles from the track and in a really quiet village. Nearest pub is Bull and butcher in Akeley (2.5 miles), good for food although it is best to book, there is also the Fox and Hounds in Whittlebury but this gets really busy as it is near to the track and campsites.
Hospitality at The Old Post Cottage is great Jennie is an excellent host and even lent me a pair of wellies for the weekend, as it was rain, rain and more rain this weekend, and the whole track was full of mud. Jennie even dropped us off near the track to save us trying to get our cars out of a muddy field. We stayed a standard double room with a shared bathroom which was nicely furnished and more than adequate for our stay.
Breakfast is really good and there is a good selection on offer to suit everyone.
Thanks again Jennie will be back!

Room Tip: All rooms overlook the surrounding fields.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank alfran
Reviewed 7 October 2010

the house is located in a lovely village and is only a short drive from silverstone, but can be a bit hard to find. when i arrived jennifer was very welcoming and helpful giving me very clear directions to all of the nearest pubs and shops. The bed of the room I slept in was very comfortable and i got a very plesant nights sleep. The breakfast in the mornig was very tasty and there were a wide range of cereals and fruits along with a cooked breakfast to choose from. over all it was a very plesant stay and one of the best B&B's I have stayed in, and i would strongly recomend it for other people.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled solo
3  Thank JonathanGreen
Reviewed 20 September 2010

I stayed here with my husband, son & niece from 17th-19th September 2010. We rented a double & twin room which had already been described to me in complete detail so knew what to expect. Our 2 rooms shared a huge bathroom that had plenty of toiletries and towels available should we have needed to use/borrow any. Jennifer was brilliant even before we arrived as my Google directions hopelessly stopped in the previous village of Akeley as unfortunately there is a Church Lane in both villages. After driving around Akeley for a long time and screwing up the Google directions, we found the Cottage by Jennifer standing in the middle of her road looking out for our headlights whilst talking to us on the phone. Just be warned that despite the online photo showing the cottage standing in the middle of a field, it is not. If you look closely (which I obviously didn't do), it has a tiny road in front of it so don't look out for the white gates and willow tree to drive through as they belong to the farm next door. I would highly recommend looking at Google Street view before trying to find it so as you know what to search for. I agree with other people saying about the size of the rooms etc., but we knew about this before our stay and as we were only there for two nights it was not a problem. I do agree about the lack of security within the room as we couldn't lock them from the outside but we just ensured all our valuables were taken with us. We were disappointed that we couldn't walk to Silverstone as I was led to believe that this might be an option. It didn't matter though as the car parking at Silverstone was fine. Jeniffer booked us into the Bull & Butcher which was a pub very near - but we did have to use the car. The food was reasonably priced and very nice albeit it my husband's burger didn't arrive without sauce and only had a bottom not a top. It was a very peaceful place to stay and we didn't mind Jennifer being in the kitchen with us for breakfast as to us it was just another person to talk to and was very informal. I would recommend the cottage but realistically would describe the actual place as average but with a lovely proprietor who helped to make our stay enjoyable. We would stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank LisaC00
Reviewed 21 February 2010

This is a lovely spot in the Bucks countryside and Jennifer goes out of her way to make you feel welcome (out of the snow!)

Very convenient for the Silverstone race track, well equipped rooms and a great breakfast too!

I would have no hesitation in recommending it for a weekend stay (though I hear it gets very busy when the big Silverstone events are on)

Peter & Jane

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 August 2009

September 2008, I made a reservation for a six night stay during the 2009 British Grand Prix, June 19, 20 and 21.
I paid a $ 400 deposit to hold my room.
Unfortunately a family tragedy forced me to cancel the reservation about June 1st.
Jennifer did a great deal of work to rent my room and she refunded all of my deposit.
A class act and I can highly recommend The Old Post Cottage.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank F1ed
Reviewed 13 April 2008

The Old Post Cottage is in a beautiful quaint village and is only 5 minutes drive from Silverstone, I am afraid that is the only good thing I can say about this bed and breakfast. The rate for a double room with shared facilities was £50 per night so I did not expect luxury, but I did at least think that I would have a secure room. The double room with shared facilities could lock from the inside but not from the outside so I did not feel secure leaving any valuables in the room. The owner left the front door open most of the time and although I am sure it is a very safe village, it made me feel very uncomfortable. We stayed as a family and rented out 3 out of the 4 rooms and had one key to the main door between us which was then taken off us on the Saturday night!!! The owner said that we just had to let her know when we would be back and it would not be a problem - it was a problem, I do not go away for a weekend to then to be restricted by a schedule and having to tell the owner what time I would be back!

The breakfast was a strange affair and felt quite uncomfortable (in the owner's kitchen with her there all of the time) although tasted nice. When my parents and I dared to use our showers at the same time, the owner gave my brother an earful saying that we were using all of the water!! Our double room was not in fact a double room - you could only access one side of the bed. There was no wardrobe either. There was not enough space for two people.

There are no facilities within walking distance. The closest pub was about 2 and a half miles away (the fox and hounds in Whittlebury which had over priced average food and took my plate as soon as I had finished whilst my brother was still eating as they had run out of plates!) and there is no village shop or similar. You have to drive everywhere and taxis have to come from Buckingham so are not cheap.

Basically, if you want a small cramped room in a house where your room is not secure and you do not even get a key to the main door, with no wardrobe, restricted use of water and an uncomfortable breakfast, then this is the one for you. It is good and close to Silverstone though...

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family