“The Chandos Arms, Oakley, Buckinghamshire”
Review of Chandos Arms

Chandos Arms
Ranked #31 of 59 Restaurants in Buckingham
Price range: US$3 - US$12
Cuisines: British
Description: were a 16th century choclatebox village pub, serving traditional pub food and fine cask ales,kitcen open Wednesday to saturday 12. till 2.00pm evenings wednesday to saturday 5pm till 9pm. sunday 12pm till 3pm
Reviewed 12 August 2014

The Chandos Arms

A lovely country pub in rural Oakley, Buckinghamshire, run by Piers and Sandra Cooper. They have a great selection of beers, stouts and ciders. Sandra is the chef and has a large regular menu supplemented by a wide variety of specials on the blackboards. They also run special evenings the next being a Johnny Cash tribute evening. I had a monster burger this last visit. Not only was it a monster it was delicious made with lovely beef, blue cheese, proper chips, onion rings, bacon, fresh salad and coleslaw. I washed it down with a pint cider. My wife had shank of pork with apple cider gravy with mixed vegetables and mashed potatoes and a cider. My grandson had large homemade fish fingers, vegetables, mashed potatoes and a cola.

Piers and Sandra Cooper only took over the pub at the beginning of the year and is already very popular with the locals. I would in book advance for an evening meal or over the weekend.

Reviewed 18 December 2013

The Chandos Arms is just what you expect the perfect country pub to be like first class food and service a warm welcome and very clean. From the moment you arrive you are made to feel welcome by the staff and the locals at the bar. The beer is well kept and the food is among the best me and the wife have ever had (she can eat for England) it was so tasty & was definitely cooked to order from fresh produce. If you want great food at a good price the Chandos Arms is well worth a visit.

2  Thank VeryHappyPeople
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Firstly I would say that the atmosphere is nice and the staff tried as hard as they could.
We dropped in, having seen the sign on the road, on Saturday 27th July 2013.

There was no-one serving, so a local gave us the menus and poured us some beer (the beer - Doombar - was well kept).
Eventually someone came out and took our food order after telling us there were no fish dishes (which is what I wanted) and no chicken dishes (my second choice).
Eventually I chose a homemade burger and my husband chose a homemade Steak and Kidney Pie with chips not new pots.
After this we heard that the Landlord was away at a Funeral and the Chef was at a Wedding, leaving one serving person and a trainee chef.......should have left then I think!
We purchased some bar snacks (cheesy biscuits and bombay mix) as we could see it would be some time but they were pretty stale.
There was a cyclist who had popped in and ordered some food and after a while they told him they didn't have what he wanted; he was ok about it but he left without eating.
My homemade burger arrived, no questions about condiments.
The chips were ok, the salad was old and wilted and the homemade burger was a disgusting highly processed slab of something,... not sure what.
I ate some of the chips and salad but I simply couldn't eat the burger, it was gross.
I had finished my meal by the time my husband's meal arrived.
It was a steak and kidney Pudding - not pie - which he would not have ordered had he known.
The suet was dry as were the contents, no gravy was provided. They did new potatoes not chips, the carrots were poorly microwaved and he didn't bother trying the broccoli.
My husband finished the pie/pudding but nothing else and I did not finish my meal.
My husband didn't complain about the meal but I did say that there was no way the burger was homemade - the waiting person tried some and agreed.
We were not charged for the my meal but they did charge us half price for my husband's.
We paid for the beer and the bar snacks.
The staff were very apologetic but in my view they should have closed the kitchen for the day.

7  Thank essjayeny
Reviewed 18 July 2013

Has changed since our last visit 2 years ago...unpleasant dog...poor service... Lack of interest in people...food not up to previous standard...will look for another village pub

3  Thank Hal W
Reviewed 20 May 2013

Wow what a turn out, we stopped by chance at a pretty little country pub and our expectations were more than met.
so many pubs now days are trying to be restaurants with inflated prices and pretentious menus but this place does exactly what it says on the tin. friendly welcome by enthusiastic staff good real ales and kept well too, the food was excellent well presented and clearly home made. I don't write many reviews and I never write a bad one I will only post if I have something positive to say. I will defiantly be coming back here as long as the standards remain the same, It is my new favourite pub