“Christmas Day at the White Hart - outstanding”
Review of The White Hart

The White Hart
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Buckingham
Buckingham, United Kingdom
“Christmas Day at the White Hart - outstanding”
Reviewed 25 December 2013

A big thank you for a very special day at the White Hart, food great, service exceptional. The new management are really making a difference. I can recommend the Christmas Day experience here and will definitely be considering eating here more often. Thanks again to Jackie and the rest of the team.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Scampi2906

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Been back here twice in last couple of months and have been impressed by the changes in the service .....and the food. First time was on a Saturday afternoon so was fairly busy, but order was served up promptly by helpful staff.
Second time was a Tuesday afternoon .....we both had the sausage and mash and the sausages were lovely, service was good and helpful staff.
I would give it 5 stars but for the fact theres still too many fruit machines kicking about which makes it feel a bit "chavish" and I would suggest lighting needs to be looked at so that it doesn't give that "dingy" feeling. Its a shame the decor has been allowed to deteriorate in places, but thats no fault of the present management who seem to be trying their best.
Lets hope whoever owns the White Hart can invest some decent money into it so that it could reach its full potential.

Room Tip: wasn't staying there so cannot advise
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 November 2013

The staff were amazing they go that extra mile and are so helpful as we have 2 small children I come to Buckingham as my brother lives near by will always stay here food excellent a big thank you to Alex and Matt

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Peter B
Milton Keynes, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Ordered a medium steak and bangers and mash on a 2 for £10 deal yesterday evening as I was dropping a friend home to Buckingham and we were both starving. We were served quickly, and the gentleman serving us was polite. After about 15 mins our food arrived, and it quickly became obvious my steak was extremely well done. Like a dry tough burger. The gentleman who served us at the bar checked back on us soon after the food arrived, and we alerted him of this. Disheartened he said he would replace it for me. Having both my friend and I worked extensively in hospitality we know how easy it is for human errors to occur, not mad and extremely forgiving at what had happened. 24 minutes later my food was brought back out. The extras had been left on a hot plate so the chips where hard and browning, the mushrooms where limp and swimming in their own juice... and once again my steak was tough as a boot. I suspect they had been microwaving it. Since my friend had finished her food 20 mins previously. I approached the staff for a refund. They did without any fuss refund me in cash for the steak with a polite yet emotionless apology, which left me with no inspiration to return. Having worked in hospitality for the best part of 6 years, both as a waitress, bar tender and manager I feel this place has potential. But currently is not worth anyone’s time or most importantly money.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Aisling G
Winsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Booked in for three nights because the "Villiers" was fully booked. BIG mistake!!!!!!!!!
Avoid this place at all cost!!!!!!!. Very noisey. Rooms at rear suffer from the noise and vibration from an underground water pump running 24hrs and kitchen extractor fans. Rooms at the front suffer from traffic noise and the unbearable noise from late drinkers and what seems to pass locally for music played at excessively high levels. Friday and Saturday nights. So called car park a free for all "bomb" site.

Dined at the Villiers one night. Wow, how good was that. Unfortunately it just made the White Hart seem a lot worse!!!!!

Room Tip: I don't think there is one!!!!!!!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank geoff_edge
Reviewed 3 October 2013

This pub is in my local town. I have been to it many times and was once a pretty decent music venue for our sleepy town.

Then the current management comoany took over, and it has since gone down hill.

Premium priced beers
Bottom bar not opened due to lack of staff
5ft deep queues at thee bars on busy nights
Smoking area through the bottom bar doesn't have swing doors making it freezing during the winter
Miserable staff that ask the same people week in week out for ID before they will serve them
Drunk muppets downing bottles of vodka bought from Off licence round the corner due to lack of service
Poor food.. we used to eat here and it was brilliant value, twice now I have had to wait for 45 mins for a burger that was basically cardboard in a bun.. and not much of it either!

Generally a poor pub full of chavs and all day drinkers...

Better pubs in town by far to spend your money in!

Go to the Woolpack round the corner, or the New Inn across the town bridge, or the Kings on the corner of the market place.. proper locals bars with proper landlords that know your name!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Merchandiseman
GoodNightInns, Guest Relations Manager at The White Hart, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Dear terryholiday

Thank for taking the time to provide us with your review.

I would like to apologise that we failed to meet your expectations at the White Hart (buckingham) in regards to the service you received. I can confirm that I have passed on your concerns to the management team who would like to investigate your feedback. We have sent you a direct message to discuss this further.

Kind regards

John Barras
London
Reviewed 28 September 2013 via mobile

We popped in to this pub as it was local to a Hotel we were staying at. We should've walked away as soon as we opened the door. The place smells of wet dogs and was very untidy. You know the sort, where your shoes stick to the floor. It got worse when I waited an age at the bar to get served. The barmaid had the worst attitude I've ever experienced in a pub. Not a please nor thank you; not even a friendly smile. I ordered a large Pinot which I had to take back because it was clearly old and tasted like stale vinegar. The barmaid tried to tell me it was their best seller and that no one else had complained. I asked her to open a fresh bottle which after moaning under her breath she agreed to do. It was no surprise that she poured it into the glass and walked away. Not a sorry in sight. Appalling attitude, appalling customer service. If the management team of this establishment wish to contact me, yes, I took her name. To possibly save you the trouble it begins with M.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank terryholiday
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buckingham
Best Western Buckingham Hotel
Whittlebury Hall
Whittlebury Hall
#3 of 3 in Towcester
Travelodge Towcester Silverstone

Been to The White Hart? Share your experiences!