“A mixed bag”
Review of The Bull Hotel

The Bull Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Gerrards Cross
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The Bull Hotel is easy to locate and within walking distance to some lovely bars and restaurants in the main street of Gerrards Cross. However, in the winter it is a walk across a common that is poorly lit and a little un-nerving for a female lone traveler.

The hotel welcome is professional and polite. I stayed in a variety of rooms and experienced some real comfort and some real discomfort over a n umber of weeks; some of the rooms have old fashioned radiators that the controls do not work and the rooms remain hot, whereas other rooms have been refurbished and are basically ok.

I would only recommend a room that is beyond the basic double room if you want a good nights sleep in a room you can actually open the wardrobe door without having to move a table and chair to do so.

The food is average and not too expensive considering you are only 20 minutes by train to London.

This is a hotel to stay for one or two nights on business, anything more and it becomes irritating at the lack of quality of sleep, small rooms and noise levels (in basic rooms).

Would I return? No.

Room Tip: Pay more and ask for an Executive room away from the main road - room 110 and 112 are good rooms.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
SarovaHotels, General Manager at The Bull Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Dear Emily M

Thank you for your review. I am pleased to hear that you found the staff to be professional and polite. We do have a variety of room types within the hotel which do attend to the different needs of each traveller. We have recently completed our refurbishment of some of our bedrooms and I do hope that all guests will enjoy the changes that have been made.

We are curretly looking into changing our menu offering. At present Beeches Restaurant, The Conservatory Lounge and the Jack Shrimpton Bar do offer a variety of dishes to please different palates.

I am sorry to hear that you would not want to return to the hotel. I do hope with all the current changes that have been made that you would reconsider and allow us the opportunity to restore your faith in our hotel.

Please do not hesitate to get in touch should you wish to discuss your concerns.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

Nice hotel spoiled by dusty rooms and terrible food, when it was available. The standard of service in the restaurant and the quality of the food was very poor, under cooked veg, and under cooked pork in particular, which along with the rest of the meat on the cavalry, they ran out of, and seemed at a loss as to how to solve the problem. We were on a coach tour booked well in advance and they were well aware of the numbers involved. Total incompetence, non of our party were satisfied with what portends to be a four star hotel.

Dear Diane6427

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. Please accept my apologies for the isses experienced during your stay with us. I am sorry to hear that the food served particularly on one of the evenings was not up to our normal standard. I can assure you we generally receive very good comments with regard to our staff and our food. We had experienced some challenges that evening and I am sorry that this had an impact on your dining experience.

I do hope that you will return to us and allow us the opportuntiy to restore your faith in our hotel.

Please do not hesitate to get into contact with me directly should you wish to discuss your concerns further.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

I stayed here for a friends wedding, and the wedding itself was fantastic. The organisation seemed fantastic and the food was delicious. They had a brilliant day, very friendly staff and I think it seemed a great place to get married. The hotel itself is lovely inside, and the bedrooms are gorgeous.

The only downside for us was that our room on the 2nd floor was really hot, even with the AC on at 19, I found it too hot to sleep well. Also, the pillows were not the best, so I would advise bringing one of your own if you're a fussy sleeper. Having said that, my friends didn't seem to have the same issues we did in our room, so it doesn't seem to be a hotel-wide problem.

All in all, a lovely place for a wedding!

Dear GSIzzea

Thank you for your recent review of The Bull Hotel. I am happy to hear that you had enjoyed the wedding hosted at the hotel. Thank you for for your praise with regard to the organization and the food that was served at your friends wedding. I will surely pass your positive feedback to our meetings and events coordinators and our kitchen brigade. I will agree with you, the Bull Hotel is a great place to get married!

I apologise for the challenges you had experienced with regard to the AC and the pillows in the bedroom. I have asked our maintenance team to check all the AC systems. We do offer additional pillows in the bedroom wardrobe and will gladly exchange any pillows to suit your needs.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon in the near future.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

We have stayed here a number of times, most recently last weekend, as we have family in Denham. We like the hotel because it is clean, comfortable, the staff are brilliant and it has a nice atmosphere.
When we arrived our room was at the front and a wedding was in progress so we asked to change. We were shown two other rooms by Julian and opted for a room at the back where it was quiet.This was done with no fuss. Danke, the reception manager, was friendly and efficient.
It isn't the cheapest but for a similar room in London you would pay much more. The conservatory area is a pleasant place to sit and the garden was a bonus in the heat of last weekend.
The buffet breakfast has always been good.

Room Tip: Choose a room at the back if a function is in progress.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear Maureen M

Thank you for your recent review of The Bull Hotel. I am delighted to hear that you are a return guest to the Bull. I am pleased that you had a comfortable stay and that you found the staff to be brilliant. They are all a great asset to the hotel. I will let Danka and Julian know that they had a special mention from yourself!

We do host some lovely weddings at the hotel. Our reception team do always try and ensure that guests that are not part of the wedding party are not disturbed by any noise. I am glad that Julian was able to offer you another bedroom so that you would not be inconvenienced.

I do hope that you will be able to visit us very soon. The gardens are looking exceptionally beautiful - a great place to enjoy an afternoon tea on the patio!

Reviewed 7 May 2014

This is a hotel/conference centre, but we had our daughter's wedding here at the weekend and it was perfect. The reception room looked over a beautiful patio and garden which will look lovely in all weathers - important in photos. The pictures were all done in the garden, and this also provided a good spot for smokers and non smokers alike throughout the afternoon and evening.

I often have my doubts about food produced in quantity (we had 80 guests for the day) but this was excellent. I'd pay good money for the recipe for the gruyere tart (but I'd need the pastry making skills to match).

We stayed over and rooms were quiet (even though the hotel is on a main road) and comfortable. Breakfast was varied and plentiful.

Staff were excellent, helpful and very well organised. There honestly wasn't anything that I could have complained about. Thanks Lauren, Igor and team - you did a great job.

Room Tip: most of the rooms seem to be at the back which is good as they are quieter. If you have mobility iss...
1  Thank phil-b745
SarovaHotels, General Manager at The Bull Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Dear phil-b745,

Thank you for recent review of the Bull Hotel. Congratulations on your daughter's wedding. I am delighted to hear that the day went so well and that Lauren and Igor were able to attend to your requests.

I am happy that you and all your guests enjoyed the food. I will see if chef will part with his Gruyere tart recipe, he is particulary secretive!

Thank you again for your kind comments, I am sure all staff members at the hotel will appreciate it.

I do hope you will visit us again soon and maybe indulge in a tart or two!

Reviewed 6 May 2014

The Bull is a good hotel. Based around an old pub it has expanded and is huge! A very friendly welcome, and a nice jolly atmosphere as you check in. The bedroom (a double) was perfectly adequate, if not huge, clean and comfortable. Free wi-fi throughout is a major bonus - I wish other hotels would take note - and breakfast was very good (didn't eat there in the evening, I wish I had). The staff are extremely friendly and efficient, and it is a nice place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear HenryStanley,

Thank you for your recent review of the Bull Hotel. I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay and our complimentary Wifi. Thank you for your kind words with regard to our friendly staff members, I will surely pass your positive comments to the team.

I do hope the next time you stay with us that you will be able to enjoy a meal in our Jack Shrimpton Bar. We serve a delicious traditional pub menu, the olde fashioned fish and chips are a particulate favourite!

I look forward to welcoming you back soon .

Reviewed 5 May 2014

We had our wedding at The Bull Hotel in March 2014, and from the day we went to view the hotel to the day after our wedding, the whole experience was excellent! Chris initially showed my Mum and me round who was very helpful and welcoming. My [now] husband and I went to discuss the finer details with Lauren (our wedding co-ordinator) who, throughout the organisation process was calm, helpful and supportive or all our needs and requirements, nothing was too much trouble. Closer to the day we, along with my parents, met Rasti who would be looking after us on the day. We ran through the whole day with him and again, felt very reassured that everything was under control and would run smoothly. We weren't disappointed! We had the most amazing wedding! The food was great and our bridal suite was lovely as well. We left the following day we left a very happy, newly married couple! Thank you! x

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Jo P,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Bull Hotel. Congratulations once again, I do hope that you both have a wonderful and happy marriage and thank you for choosing the Bull to host your special day.

I am delighted that Lauren and Rasti ensured that you were well looked after and made your day a memorable one. I will surely pass your kind words to them and the other members of staff.

I do hope that on your first wedding anniversary you will be able to celebrate it at the Bull.

Best Wishes

Stoke Place
Stoke Place
#2 of 2 in Stoke Poges
Travelodge Beaconsfield Central

Been to The Bull Hotel? Share your experiences!