“Comfortable, Clean and Charmingly Old Fashioned”
Review of The Bull Hotel

The Bull Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Gerrards Cross
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I had an one-night stay at the Bull as I was presenting first thing in the morning at a confernce being held there. The receptionist who checked me in was charming, friendly and efficient - and could've given lessons in how to be a good receptionist to staff at some of the more 'upmarket' hotels I've stayed in. The room I was given was large, airy, spotlessly clean and very comfortable. Unfortunately it had small windows and was rather dark, making th decor look rather dinghy. The bathroom, although tiny was spotless, with plenty of towels, Although there is nothing radically wrong with them,the bath and handbasin could do with an update (both were acrylic, which I really dislike in a bathroom) as could the overhead shower. Breakfast was very good, with plently of choice of cereals, cooked food and continental style.

So well rested and well fed, I gave my presentation - with very good results! I would definitely recommend this hotel if you need to saty in the Gerrards Cross area.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank PrinceofPagodas
SarovaHotels, General Manager at The Bull Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Dear PrinceofPagodas

Thank you for your recent review. I am delighted to hear that you were so impressed by our receptionist. Thank you for your kind words.

Some of our rooms have been recently refurbished to a high standard and I do hope on your next visit you will be able to enjoy one of them. We are still undergoing some improvement works. I will be sure to pass your positive feedback to the housekeeping department with regard to the cleanliness of your bedroom.

I am pleased you had a good nights rest and hope your presentation went well! We regularly host meetings and events for companies and associations. The Bull’s individually decorated meeting suites can be adapted to host events of any size, from an intimate board meeting to a conference for 180 delegates or a reception for 220.

I do look forward to welcoming you back again soon be it for a short stay or another conference.

Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for 5 nights. The room was perfect. It was clean well decorated with the usual washing and shampoo. The towels are excellent quality. The reception staff are brilliant especially the young gentleman from Portugal. Very friendly warm and courteous. The facilities the Bull offers are great including free wi fi. Meals and snacks are great and the breakfast are wonderful. Well done team you made mine and Alison's stay stress free.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Jill V
SarovaHotels, General Manager at The Bull Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Dear Valiuim6969

Thank you for your recent review of the Bull Hotel and your kind words with regard to the reception staff. I agree, they are a brilliant team! I will surely pass your positive feedback to them and especially, Walter.

I am pleased that the room was serviced to a very high standard and that you had found the towels of excellent quality. We do aim to provide an excellent product for all our guests.

I do hope on your next visit you will stay to enjoy a delicious Sunday Jazz Lunch, with a full carvery and live music from the Nigel Fox Trio.

I do look forward to welcoming you and Alison back in the near future.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Arrival: processed at reception quickly and formally. The Bull feels like a bright, airy conference centre first and hotel second, and reflects same in its general atmosphere. The hotel room cleanliness and daily servicing was par excellence - well done to the lady who came each day (we had an Executive room). Our personal things were left exactly where they were which we really appreciated and most importantly, I felt able to go out and not worry about whether anything would be taken. Naturally, I did my bit to protect the staff by ensuring windows were secured and the door properly closed - we must all take responsibility to protect ourselves and other people. The staff's attention to detail did not extend to the downstairs bar though. On arrival, we noted a group of people sat outside. Their table was loaded with dozens of glasses and cups that had not been collected, nor were they removed until a long time after the group's departure; also a gentleman was left standing at the bar and I mentioned to reception that someone was waiting (I am very keen that International visitors receive a good image of our country) but reception didn't know what to do. Throughout the week, indoor tables had glasses removed but not wiped down; leaving ring marks and stickiness. After shift change on one day, I felt compelled to advise the young man that the tables needed cleaning - after all, from his standpoint, the tables looked empty and okay, the person apologised and said there were a number of things that had not been done. Come on Sarova, the staff need to remove glasses and give the table a quick wipe - it's hardly rocket science - retraining is required. The same happened later in the week and I finally gave up sitting downstairs and stayed in my room. I would like to say that cleanliness is so very important - for instance, consultants were working hard to sell the venue to wedding parties, etc. but they will fail if the very basics are not telling the right story - your consultants also need to relax and listen to the customer first - I was sat nearby and the woman was even annoying me - she didn't let the poor couple get a word in edge-ways. Now to Breakfast: a buffet - superior offering in terms of choice and simply stupendous if you like to eat healthily ... and if you prefer the cooked English. My only criticism is that the fried eggs could be used for sport (they were rubbery) and the bacon was more steamed than anything else i.e so pale that I worried whether it was safe to eat - surely it wouldn't hurt to give that extra attention to detail by turning the bacon over - fatty side up - and flashing it under a hot grill? The choice of dried fruits (pineapple, grape, banana) were a yummy accompaniment to the tinned figs, prunes, peaches, fresh fruit and runny yogurt also on offer alongside fresh artisan bread, cereals and pastries. Every breakfast requirement is catered for. The breakfast staff.... relax folks, you're helping people to eat the most important meal of the day ... and to one person in particular: remove the stick that's up the back of your shirt - we're people just like you; relax, enjoy the fact that you are helping us ships-in-the-night i.e. people, to start the day off in a good way! Also, please listen to how you sound when you speak - would you like your mother or sister spoken to in such a tone of voice? No? Neither did I. Chill man. *winks*.
Dinner: I didn't try the restaurant for dinner - I was very nervous of being disappointed, but the menu sounds luscious. The wine choice at the bar is limited but good - bar food adequate although the three times cooked chips accompanying the food on one evening clearly had not been cooked three times as they were still crunchy throughout and very pale on the outside. Service charge is applied. There is a very small office (business centre) in the foyer - excellent if you need to print, etc. An additional bar with limited opening evenings forms part of the original Inn. Highlights of the stay: Care and cleaning standards in our light and airy room (we paid a visit to another hotel a mile down the road and visited their newly refurbished rooms; agreeing that The Bull was much roomier, airier, brighter). Our issues with air conditioning were dealt with immediately - within ten minutes of calling reception, someone was knocking on the door and got it fixed (amazing service, well done) - same for when the batteries on the remote control needed replacing. There is internet / interactive access in-room via the television if you need it (costs around £20 a day) but I brought my laptop and used their free wi-fi. I asked for and was provided with a feather pillow because I wasn't sleeping well. Also I was loaned an umbrella when I went out and it was raining. There is excellent parking provision and the hotel itself is situated in a lovely area, with an M&S express located directly opposite. A very short walk through the common leads you to an area containing desirable shops and restaurants and the usual charity shops (surprisingly) and a railway station (Gerrards Cross). The hotel has an affiliation with a sports centre - a fifteen minute drive away. The gardens are delightful as is the lovely well-coiffured young man on reception who always spared a pleasant word and sunshine smile.

Room Tip: Great for single women travellers. I recommend an Executive room or above if you prefer the little c...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank avfrog44

Dear avfrogg44

Thank you for your recent review of the hotel. I am delighted to hear that our housekeeping staff exceeded your expectations and your room was serviced to a high standard. The reception staff really enjoyed the assortment of biscuits you had so kindly given them.

I am sorry to hear of the challenges you had experienced, but happy that they were dealt with in a timely fashion.

I really do appreciate your thorough feedback and I will be discussing the concerns you had raised with the relevant departments. I do hope that upon your return you will be able to see the improvements we have made.

Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

I went to the bull with my boyfriend for the weekend. We booked a twin as it was cheaper than double but when we got to room the two single beds were right next to each other anyhow so if you had booked twin room with a friend or family member you would have been basically sleeping in a double bed? Maybe twin and double rooms should be same price? Food, bar staff and breakfast all lovely. Only negative was that our room was small and no air con so was extremely warm. We did mention to reception who brought up fans. Overall lovely stay and not far walk to station to get into central London

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank thealfster .

Dear thealfster

Thank you for your recent review. I am pleased to hear you had a lovely stay and that our reception team were able to provide a fan for your bedroom.

The hotel does offer various room types. We do have rooms available that do provide Aircondtioning. Our rates for double and twin bedrooms are the same. Our rates only differ according to the room type booked and whether it is for single or double occupancy. I do apologise if you may have found it confusing.

I will surely pass your positive feedback to the bar staff, they will appreciate it.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Beautifully presented and comfortable rooms, excellent breakfast options and a fantastic overall environment. Staff was always polite and friendly. Also has a lovely garden for when the weather is good.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear LauraLemmikki

Thank you for your recent review of the Bull Hotel. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found the staff to be very polite and friendly.

I do hope on your next stay you will treat yourself to one of our delicious summer cocktails in the Conservatory Lounge Bar.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 1 June 2014

We have stayed at the Bull Hotel on multiple occasions and have always found it to be very good value for money.

The hotel has different categories of rooms and we have tended to prefer the refurbished executive rooms. A little more expensive but well worth the premium.

The hotel is nicely located if you are visiting the Gerrards Cross / Beaconsfield / Stoke Poges or Slough area. It has a good restaurant and a nice Pub and Bar area. An excellent full English breakfast buffet is included in the room rate.

We’ve always found the staff to be helpful and attentive.

We will definitely return to this hotel for our next visit to the area.

Room Tip: Suggest to choose the refurbished executive rooms
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Birgitte E

Dear Birgitte E

Thank you for your recent review of the Bull Hotel. I am happy to hear that you have stayed with us on a couple of occasions and enjoy returning to the hotel.

We are indeed ideally located within Gerrards Cross which is easily accessible and within walking distance to the main town centre and train station.

I do hope on your next stay you will spoil yourself and reserve a Grand Bedroom. Our reception team will gladly give you a showround of one of these bedrooms on your next visit.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

It's a business hotel but often used from small groups for a tea or family celebration. The room vary in style and size so ask for a large one. The food at breakfast is ok, variety is acceptable. The service is adequate and the overall experience is better than other places in the same area.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear Brama69

Thank you for your recent review of the Bull Hotel. I am pleased to hear that you had a good overall experience at the hotel. We do offer a variety of different room types at the hotel and our reservation team will gladly advise which is best suited to your needs.

We have a lovely afternoon tea offering in the Conservatory Lounge, which I can recommend is best served outside on the patio overlooking our beautiful gardens.

I do look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gerrards Cross
Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa
Stoke Place
Stoke Place
#2 of 2 in Stoke Poges

Been to The Bull Hotel? Share your experiences!