“Good Hotel.”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Gerrards Cross
Doncaster, United Kingdom
“Good Hotel.”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Just had a 2 night stay at the Bull and can't see why the staff have been marked down. During our stay they were friendly and efficient in all areas. The food at the Bull is good and the Buffet format means you can eat as much ,or as little as you want. Our room, 243 was a little on the small side compared to others that we saw, but Quite good enough for our needs.It was clean and well serviced daily, same with the bathroom,good towels, and shower gels/shampoo included. This is a busy hotel with weddings and party's being the norm, but we would'nt hesitate to use this hotel as a base if we return to the area.

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear are quieter
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
SarovaHotels, General Manager at The Bull Hotel, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear terry s

Thank you for your review of The Bull Hotel. Thank for your kind words regarding our friendly and efficient staff. I will surely pass your comments to them.

The hotel does offer a variety of different room catergories where some are more larger than others. When you are in the area, please do contact our reservations department to discuss these with you. I am pleased you enjoyed the lovely Gilchrist and Soames bathroom amenties.

I do look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Karl Wilson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
  • Turkish first
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Excellent hotel. I don't get some of the negative reviews, but I was there for the weekend, different staff maybe?
Very down to earth friendly staff, Richard was a good guy. Place has efficient service, and easy relaxed atmosphere, not as hectic as some hotels where staff are running all over the place, which is great. Child friendly too. If I was in the area, I would definitely stay again.
Thanks.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Ade_Sands
Dear Ade_Sands

Thank you for review of The Bull Hotel. I am delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay. am pleased that you enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere, our friendly and efficient service.

I hope on your next visit you will join us for one of our delicious afternoon teas in our light and airy Conservatory Lounge.

Look forward to having you stay with us again!

Liverpool
Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed there as a out book from de Vere denham , and wsnt happy at all , staff rude , food poor quality - much preference original stay meals , In general look good and feel good but let down by food and rude staff

• Stayed June 2014
Dear Mastermind1981

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am sorry to hear that you had a dissapointing stay with us. I generally receive very good feedback regarding our members of staff. I am sorry that on this occasion that your expecatations were not met.

I am happy to discuss your concerns, so please do get in touch at kwilson@sarova.com

I do hope to hear from you soon.

Odiham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2014

The attached picture show how they cram in a double bed, chair, small table which means you can't get into the wardrobe. The rooms are old fashioned, no aircon, stuffy. Welcome to room 139 for £101 per night. The common areas of the hotel are good with a nice garden but beer is expensive and service is slow. Old bar to watch the footy is pointless. Breakfast has improved although the buffet eggs are like rocks.

Room Tip: No idea how to get a good room. I don't think they have one.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
SarovaHotels, General Manager at The Bull Hotel, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear Bazzerboy

Thank you for your recent review. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our gardens whilst staying with us.

I am sorry that you were not pleased with the size of your bedroom.Our hotel does offer other room types that do have air-conditioning and are more spacious. Had we known you were not satisfied, we would have been able to offer you an alternative.

I do hope you would return to us in the near future, but please do contact our reservations department to ensure that we can offer you a room type best suited to your needs.

St Cleer, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Lovely beds and rooms, but totally let down by the attitude of the staff. I spoke to everyone i passed (including cleaners). In particular the head waiter was rude and unable to hide his anger. Our elderly companion didn't realise she had to give her room number and wait to be seated when entering the dining room. As the head waiter was not "at his post" when the elderly lady entered the dining room, she was totally unaware of the system. Consequently, he lost his temper and was extremely cold towards us. My daughter and I realised our companions mistake and went to report the room number to him. He turned his back on us and spoke to another guest instead. Appalling!
We were a large party (30+), so we brought a reasonable amount of business to the establishment. Our hostess was embarrassed by the staff, the warm white wine and lack of bar staff. This event had been organised many weeks ago so we felt there was no excuse for the lack of staff.
On Sunday, the owners had a large area of the patio and garden segregated off for themselves. How appalling when there were so many paying guests.
I certainly regret my booking and will not be staying again.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Ceejayemm1
DearCeejayemm

Thank you for your recent review. I am glad you found the rooms and beds lovely during your stay.

Please accept my apologies with regard to how you were dealt with by a particular member of staff. This is not a reflection of how we treat guests. I can assure you that this will not happen again as it has been dealt with accordingly.

We do cater for a variety of private functions hosted at the hotel. A guest had booked several of our function rooms and outside area on the Sunday which was fully paid for. Not to seem rude, I am not sure as to how it was concluded that the function hosted on Sunday was done so by our owners.

I am happy to discuss your concerns in further detail, do not hesitate to get in touch with me.

Scotland
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Stayed at the Bull for two nights over the w/e.
As I had an early evening event in London on Friday, I had requested an early check-in.
On arrival, original room not ready (despite being 30 mins after normal check-in). Reception soon sorted it out and for my inconvenience upgraded to an Exec room.
Everything very nice in my large room (space, King bed, facilities, large well-lit bathroom).
The only reason I have not given a 5 * is because of the breakfast:
Lots of tables not cleared, stuff running out, but nothing that having better trained or more staff would not solve.

Breakfast was fine, but I had to say the Nachos with Chilli I had for supper delivered by room service was excellent. Good value and was extremely quick.

I would certainly consider booking in again, with my family.

Thanks for taking care of me.
J James

Room Tip: All rooms are reasonable and most have been refurbished.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Dear JillyBeanScotland

Thank you for your recent reivew of The Bull Hotel. I am delighted to hear that our reception team were able to ensure that your were comfortable on arrival with providing an alternative room for you. I am glad you enjoyed all the facilities in your large Excecutive bedroom.

Please accept my apologies with regard to the breakfast service. Our staff are currently undergoing training to ensure we offer an excellent breakfast experience. The nachos are indeed very tasty and good value for money, pleased that you enjoyed it.

I do look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel with your family in the near future and it is always a pleasure to look after you.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014

This was our third time dining in the main restaurant here and sadly the third time we have been let down by the service mostly. It always seems to be slow for no other reason than perhaps a shortage of staff. The food has been good but not really outstanding .... The carvery on Sundays is good but a poor offering on the starter menu ... Only three choices! The accompanying Jazz musicians are very good but were a little loud for some taste!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear Davidnewson

Thank you for your valued feedback. I am sorry that your dining experience in the restaurant was not up to standard. It is concerning that it is not an isolated incident, please accept my apologies.

I have asked our food and beverage manager to ensure that further customer service training is conducted with the staff members. I do hope that should you choose to return for lunch that you will notice an improvement.

Thank you for your comments with regard to the starter options, this is the first time we have received a comment that it is limited. I will be looking into this to see if we can somehow incorporate some other choices.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gerrards Cross
#1 of 1 in Denham
Grovefield House
Grovefield House
#1 of 3 in Burnham

Been to The Bull Hotel? Share your experiences!