“One Night Stay. For a two day Legoland Trip”
Review of The Bull Hotel

The Bull Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Gerrards Cross
“One Night Stay. For a two day Legoland Trip”
Reviewed 30 August 2014

We booked a two day Legoland trip from my daughters 7th Birthday. We picked the Bull because it looked really Olde Worlde in the picture and a bit more interesting than the usual airport hotels offered. We arrived about 8:30pm after a long day in Legoland. The staff were very welcoming and there was no hesitation about getting us into our room, bearing in my mind we had a young child with us and we had been up since 6am that day, When we got to the room. The room did not have a bed for my little girl. We checked that we had not made a mistake when booking but on our information it definitely said triple room. Now I completely understand that minor mistakes can be made and no one is perfect, plus what we paid for the whole 2 days was pretty reasonable. The reason I rate the Bull as excellent is because of how the mistake was dealt with. I called reception and they advised they would look into it and call me back. about 5 minutes later we had a call back and they advised someone would come along and direct us to a different room. Two minutes later a manager turned up and took us to what was described as a Club Room or Minor-Suite. An extremely large room with a big double sofa bed and Double Bed in the room with lovely furnishings. 2 managers made the Sofa bed up for my little girl as the housekeeping crew had gone home for the evening. Working in customer service myself I always notice these things above what generic things that hotels have to offer. Service is what makes them stand above the others. Yes the breakfast in the morning was very good and the service was good there too, but we will always remember how on my daughter's 7th birthday a hotel bent over backwards to right a simple mistake and smiled the whole time as well. Well done to the Staff of the Bull. One last thing. The Hotel itself is a really beautiful place to stay with a mix of old and new. The garden area is a real Haven. Thankyou for a memorable stay for the right reasons. :-)

Room Tip: I can recommend a Club Room.
1 Thank Coversure W
SarovaHotels, General Manager at The Bull Hotel, responded to this review, 16 September 2014
Dear Coversure W

Thank you for your lovely review of the Bull Hotel and your perfect score. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and particularly that it was a memorable one for your daughter.

As you have mentioned, at times things can go amiss and I am so pleased that our staff were able to ensure that it had not affected your stay and were able to turn the situation around and offer you one of our beautiful Club Rooms.

Thank you for mentioning how professional and friendly our staff were towards you. I will surely relay your positive feedback to all members. We do try our utmost to ensure that we offer excellent customer service, but also create happy and lasting memories!

I do look forward to welcoming you back, perhaps for another special birthday celebration!

Karl Wilson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
  • Turkish first
lancashire
Reviewed 30 August 2014

Just returned from coach trip to the bull. Rooms were excellent cleanliness superb . Very quiet area wouldn't have liked rooms over entrance or conservatory area if hotel busy or wedding on.corridors little like a maze but we got there eventually. Think our rooms had been refurbished recently huge bed lovely bathroom nice views. We had self service food, breakfast excellent choices. First night fine plenty of tables everyone sorted themselves out where to sit. Second Night tables had been arranged to accommodate lots more visitors. They have many business meetings. Not enough tables for our party salad starters ran out not replaced quickly. The deserts ran out we were told they had all. We stood around waiting to see what would happen but ignored for a while eventually after stopping a waiter some appeared. It was a pity because otherwise we found staff helpful always pleasant. An influx of new guests seem to throw some of the staff. The breakfast staff and reception very pleasant. Overall welcoming and excellent hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms in wings better don't get rooms over entrance Or conservatory especially if sunny evening
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Dear s_white049

Thank you for your taking the time to review the Bull Hotel. I am pleased that you had an enjoyable stay with us and that you had found your bedroom to be excellent, particularly the cleanliness of the room.

As the hotel has expanded over the years, it can at times seem to a slight distance to walk to your room. The rooms located towards the back of the hotel are more quieter and we do try and allocate our guests, that are not part of any event , away from function noise to ensure they have a peaceful nights rest.

I am pleased that you enjoyed our breakfast offering and menu selection whilst staying with us. Please accept my apologies that your second evening was not as expected. I will ask our restuarant manager to ensure that staffing levels are indeed in line to ensure smooth service throughout.

I do hope that you will return to our hotel in the near future and look forward to welcoming you back.

Leeds
Reviewed 26 August 2014

We booked the Bull Hotel after reading reviews on Tripadvisor. We booked into a Superior room which was really clean, spacious and well appointed. The bathroom was clean, bright and modern. It is a strange hotel with multiple corridors off the stairs, far bigger than it looks from the hotel. However, as we arrived on a Friday night with a wedding in full swing with very loud music, we were pleased that our room was located a long way away. We went to the bar for a quick drink, but unfortunately it took a really long time to be served, the hotel bar is not laid out in a particularly cozy or welcoming format and the double patio doors to the outside courtyard (where the smokers congrigated) were permanently open - it was August, but only 16C outside, so not right for a welcoming atmosphere. The bar prices were also very high. Rooms highly recommended, try the pub bar instead of the hotel one.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room away from the wedding function room
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gomersal-08
Dear Gomersal-08

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am happy to hear that you found the Superior bedrooms well appointed and very clean. These rooms are located more toward the back of the hotel and offer lovely woodland and garden views.

We often host events at the hotel. Our wedding events are particularly popular. I am pleased that whilst staying with us you were not disturbed by the noise during the evening.

I am sorry that your experience in our Lounge Bar was not to your satisfaction and that you had to wait for a particularly long time. We do have an alternative traditional bar, The Jack Shrimpton Bar that is available to guests should they wish to enjoy thier drinks in a more quieter area.

I do look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2014

We had a lovely, large family room with a huge bathroom. Well appointed and comfortable, we all slept well ready for our busy day at LEGOLAND the following day. Our cream tea was fine - warm scones were a plus, but there wasn't enough jam and too much clotted cream. The limited menu (the same one in the bar and restaurant) meant we chose to dine out in Windsor, which was beautiful. I'd recommend The Bull as a handy place to stay for Legoland or for visiting Windsor.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
SarovaHotels, General Manager at The Bull Hotel, responded to this review, 15 September 2014
Dear Rebecca F

Thank you for your reveiw of The Bull Hotel. I am thrilled that you and your family had a pleasant stay before heading our to outing at Legoland.

We are only a short 30 minute drive from Windsor, which does make us an ideal destination, should you wish to stay outside of Windsor.

We serve an afternoon Cream Tea, High Tea and Champagne Tea daily in our Conservatory Lounge. It is a real delight and should the weather be fine, even more so to enjoy on the patio overlooking our beautiful gardens! I am sorry if you had felt the jam was not sufficient. Our waiter would have gladly brought some more for you.

I do look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We stayed here as a family for one night on a holiday deal going to Legoland the next day. On the booking form it stated check in at 2pm, however we left it till 2.20pm to book in only to be told we had to wait as the room still wasn't ready. 20 mins later we was called over. First impression of staff were not impressive! Not one smile, no conversation and no welcome..just "what's the name"
Had no information given as to where the bar was, where to go for breakfast etc.
Well we continued to our room..I'd advise not to visit on a weekend as there was a large function on "wedding" we felt we would be imposing on the wedding if we were to go downstairs as you couldn't get to the bar for the wedding party.
Our room was directly over the entrance to the hotel, where a large number of guests from the party congregated all day/evening so the noise was tolerable durning the day but once they had had a few drinks it got worse! Standing there smoking and us having to close the windows due to the smoke coming in the room!
In to late evening the music could be heard at 11.30pm with 2 children I was quite fed up by this point! The noise of guests outside was enough but the music too!? Then eventually we got off to sleep only to be woken at 2am by the sound of crashing and banging outside! The wedding party and hotel were obviously packing away!!!
Breakfast was very enjoyable with a wide range on offering. Robes that we had in the room had rip holes in and were falling apart.
On booking out I was asked how my stay was..when i replied "noisy" the lady on the desk either didn't understand a word of English or the look she gave me was "I've heard it all before" not even a sorry or explanation!! And was just abruptly told "you have no charges to your room"
Not one staff spoke in the hotel ..not even a passing hello! Very unwelcoming ..not a friendly hotel at all...hence we will not be returning! Given the two ratings for the comfy bed and the breakfast..

Room Tip: Wasn't given a choice...but would say if your given a front room ask to be moved!
1 Thank MrsE2013f
Dear MrsE2013f

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear that your stay was not as expected. Please accept my apoliges that your room was not quite ready when you had checked in. We do try our utmost to ensure that all guests can check in at the stipulated time. I am sorry that on this occasion we did not meet that expectation.

Overall, we receive very good feedback regarding our frontline staff and I am rather surprised that you had not received a very warm welcoming. When the hotel does host events, we do try our utmost to ensure that guests are not disturbed by the noise from the function rooms. We do ask our guests to vacate the patio area at 11pm to ensure that guests staying in the rooms above are not distrubed.

I do hope that you would consider returning to our hotel in order for us to restore your faith. Should you wish to get in touch, I am happy to discuss your concerns further.

Leamington Spa
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We made a last minute booking at The Bull on the way home from seeing family. It was very welcoming to arrive at, beautifully lit at night with free and easy parking at the front of the hotel. We went for one of the more spacious rooms and it did not disappoint - stylish sofa and table with two chairs as well as a very large bed and nice amenities like free mineral water, a well stocked mini bar, good tea and coffee facilities (including an Espresso machine) and a beautiful bathroom with jacuzzi bath and separate shower. The bathroom was immaculately clean and looked very recently refurbished. Staff were friendly and welcoming and our room was quiet - it faced trees at the back and we couldn't hear anything of the wedding we had noticed on the ground floor.

We had delicious room service at 9pm (I think it's available till 10pm) with a pizza, ham and tomato sandwich and two really nice coffees. Breakfast was good and we had a table looking out onto the garden which was well kept. The only slight drawback was that the sheets - although totally clean - smelt musty. Perhaps this was because we booked only about 20 minutes before our evening arrival, but it definitely impacted our visit. The whole room smelt musty at first but after having the windows open for a while, it was just the bedding that retained the musty smell. Despite this we would definitely stay again, it was clean, spacious, friendly and had excellent service.

Room Tip: We had a spacious, quiet room at the back which faced trees.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear MLA-345

Thank you for your reveiw of the Bull Hotel. I am pleased that you really enjoyed your stay with us and that you found the hotel to be very welcoming.

Our Grand Bedrooms are indeed a real treat. They are very spacious bedrooms. Grand rooms feature air conditioning and state-of-the-art bathrooms, and many overlook landscaped gardens. Some rooms can accommodate two adults and two children so it is ideal for a short family break.

Not only does the hotel offer complimentary parking, but all guest can enjoy the free Wifi which they can access all over the property.

I am sorry to hear of the musty smell of the linen. This is the first time that this has been mentioned, but I will ask our Head Housekeepr to get in touch with our laundry company. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

I do look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I have been staying at this hotel regularly for over 8 years and have always found The Bull a welcoming place, clean, warm with good food and staff. One little thing; please sort out the pillows as they a bit hit and miss.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Dear John D

Thank you for your review of The Bull Hotel and your perfect score! As a long standing reqular guest of the hotel I am delighted that our hotel has become a place that you always enjoy staying.

I am sorry to hear that the pillows are not to your comfort. We do have various types of alternative pillows available. Please do get in touch with our head housekeeper in order for us to ensure you have the right one for a comfortable nights rest.

I do look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kidn Regards
#1 of 1 in Denham
Grovefield House
Grovefield House
#1 of 3 in Burnham

Been to The Bull Hotel? Share your experiences!