“excellent saff,food,service and hotel”
Review of Ethorpe Hotel

Ethorpe Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Gerrards Cross
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“excellent saff,food,service and hotel”
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Just returned having stayed or one night, with wife and two grown up sons and a large group of friends. I was amazed to read all of the recent reviews as the difer s much from my experience of the hotel,staff and food. On arrival the very fiendly member of staf on reception did everything to help our party and aranged a room be made available early for us. The resturant staff on a busy weekend for them made tables available for us and the food and serivce was excellent. The rooms wer of a good standard and very clean. The hotel for us was in an excellent location five minutes walk from the station giving us access via train to Wembley. On returning late that evening once again the staff while vey busy cleaned and cleared tables for large numbers of returning guests and then served food of a excellent standard with a smile and humour. I cannot praise the staff enough and ths is a great hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
GoodNightInns, Brand Manager at Ethorpe Hotel, responded to this review, 11 June 2012
Dear Kenny, thank you for your review. We are glad to hear that you had a pleasant stay and the team were warm and friendly. Your comments have been duly noted and will be passed onto the Management Team.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2012

Having grown up in Gerrards Cross I have been a big fan of the Ethorpe, spending many weekend lunchtimes there. However, in recent years the service has been appauling. In particular a trip last week (18/2/2012) was the last straw, having been shown to our table, we then had the table cleaned while we were seated! Cutlery tossed on the table, a distinct attitude oozing from the staff. We then waited for 25 mins for service, with patience worn thin I decided to ask kindly if anyone could take our order. We were advised to wait as they were atttending a large number of people, further 10 mins and we left with not even a hint of remorse from the staff just a ''Your leaving? Ok bye''.

Shame, real shame.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Amit P
Dear Amit, thank you for your review. Please accept our apologies for the disappointment caused in the restaurant. Your feedback regarding the team member service has been noted and will be followed up with the Management Team.

Travellers are raving about these Gerrards Cross hotels

Iver, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2012

My partner, son and I have visited the Ethorpe a number of times over the years, and up until about 2 years ago we thought the place was very good. How times change...

We normally go on a Saturday lunchtime, after doing some shopping in Gerrards Cross

The visit prior to the last visit, my partner was served meat lasagne instead of vegetable, after waiting 45 minutes. My main course - I can't remember what it was now - was burnt. I asked the waitress if she would eat it, and she said no, so I then asked why they thought I should eat it!

The last visit, I placed an order at the bar. Unusually I was not asked for payment. We went out to the garden and waited. And waited. And Waited. After an hour we asked one of the staff what was happening, she went inside never to be seen again. We waited another 15 minutes and then walked off in disgust

It's a real shame this place has become so terrible. It resembles a old, real, pub, and has atmosphere, but the service is so lacking it should be avoided - go to Luna Rossa in the High St instead it is much better and they make you feel welcome

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Mike_Iver_Bucks
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 January 2012

I have written several reviews for Trip Advisor and believe that I give a good honest opinion. I never expected to be writing a review like this.

We stayed at the Ethorpe at the beginning of January 2012 having stayed several times before.
It has never been brilliant but the rooms are fine and we have always slept well.
On this occasion the hotel was simply unacceptable.
Having driven up from Devon, the first thing we were told is that the kitchens will be closing at 7.30pm because they were quiet – food being advertised as available up to 10.00pm.
We visited my 91 year old step father, had a very nice meal at the nearby Cafe Rouge then returned to the hotel at 9.50pm to be greeted by a group of staff sitting in the hotel entrance smoking and were told that they had a quiet evening so the manageress decided to close the bar early. Once again the bar is advertised as open until 11.30pm

I asked to speak with the manageress stating my case to be told “what were they supposed to do, got accused of being rude when I suggested operating to their publicised opening hour. At this point a 2 guests against 4 staff argument was on the verge of starting so I asked for the Regional managers name and number. The Manageress attitude was horrific!

The Manageress promptly wrote the details out, agreed to serve us a drink with which we retired to bed at 10.10pm
The following morning I telephoned the person who I understood to be the Regional manager. He said that he hadn’t covered that area for some time but was sympathetic and agreed to contact the correct Regional manager, who would telephone me. – a week later I’m still waiting
I find it amazing that a Chef and Brewer hotel can be operated like this and even more gobsmacked that the manageress didn’t know her Regional manager – or did she?
After complaining to Head Office, I have now, a week later, received a discount voucher from said manageress. I think the points been missed somehow!

Room Tip: To rear facing car park
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Blissetts
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2011

As a local resident, I was on the train back from London and met 2 friends on the train and we decided to have a quick pint at The Ethorpe. We were served by the manager at 11.04pm, who said sorry she wouldn't serve us unless we were residents as we close the bar at 11pm.

When a resident offered to buy us a drink, having overheard this, she still refused and asked us to leave as we were not residents.

I don't think I have ever experienced such rudeness and poor service. NOt only was the manager rude and arrogant, but one of her young bar staff was very bolshy and insulted one of us......I will never step foot in there again, there are plenty of pubs and restaurants nearby where the staff are friendly and understand service.....words almost fail me.....

Room Tip: book somewhere else! The Greyhound in Chalfont St Peter is delightful
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank PiersMummery
Cheshire
Reviewed 4 November 2011

Our family have used the Ethorpe as the base for our annual Christmas visit to London for 12 years now and it has never let us down. The warmth of the welcome and the high level of quality in both food and drinks ensures great value for money especially at the weekend when there are great savings on the weekday business rates. The location is perfect for anyone coming from the North. The M40 runs close and there is a 5 minute stroll to the railway station to the brilliant Chiltern line which gets you to central London in 25 minutes and Wembley Stadium even quicker. The refurbished bedrooms are very comfortable and the service is individual and friendly.

Room Tip: Family Room is excellent
  • Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank CheshireFernando
Mexico
Reviewed 26 June 2011

We were meeting friends who live in the area and stayed at the Ethorpe Hotel for a few days. This is a great Hotel with very friendly staff. The rooms were comfortable and bar inviting!
While the Hotel is a little on the old side, it is not a negative point at all, in view of the character that it has. A lot of people were around due to the Ascot Races which were being held close by. there are also a number of very good restaurants in the town close by the Hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
#12 of 21 in Slough
Grovefield House
Grovefield House
#1 of 3 in Burnham

Been to Ethorpe Hotel? Share your experiences!