“Best hotel we have stayed at in the UK” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Stoke Park Country Club, Spa and Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Stoke Poges
NYC
“Best hotel we have stayed at in the UK”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2008

Felt I had to send a review of this finest of fine English Hotels/Country clubs. The approach was out of a movie and my wife was certainly suprised at the stunning architecture of the hotel itself. Surrounded by stunning gardens and the golf course, we were both at ease immediately after a horrible flight from NYC, Stoke Park is very close to Heathrow, so we went straight to the spa which was excellent too. Service was good and attentive, although the staff were not English. Our room was very tastefully done with nice furniture and a very comfortable bed. The food in the formal restaurant was 5 star, and also breakfast on the lawn was a treat too. In fact the only aspect of our stay which was poor was my golf skills. I would reccomend Stoke Park to anyone, and utterly fulfilling and relaxing stay, just what we needed.

• Liked — Architecture
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank BenjamminNyc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Turkish first
New York City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed at Stoke Park Club for a week and let me tell you, we couldn't have asked for a better place!

Coming from New York City, we needed a retreat where we could just relax and breathe. From the staff who seemed eager to please (but not too overwhelming), the stunning grounds and magnificent rose gardens, the breakfasts (in the pavilion overlooking the pool), the relaxing lunches outside and delicious dinners in the dining room to the beautiful spa, we were on cloud nine our entire trip.

We are already planning our next trip back to Stoke Park Club as it did not disappoint in the slightest!

• Liked — the staff for making sure we were comfortable and relaxed our entire stay!
  • Disliked — the elliptical machines in the gym
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
4 Thank jengelz
Holland Park
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2008

My mother and I recently stayed on a four night spa break at Stoke Park. We had a fantastic stay due to our lovely spa treatments and seeing Daniel Craig! We stayed in the Mansion in a twin room with a big bathroom (was so excited that I could see Windsor Castle from our window).
We had read a lot about their spa and was not disappointed. Over the five days my mother and I over-indulged ourselves with a number of facials and body treatments. They were all good and we left feeling very very spoilt and relaxed. (My only criticism is that they did not have a twin treatment room).
We ate in their different restaurants, which gave as a good varied choice during our stay.
But the highlight was definitely seeing Daniel Craig two times during our stay in his gym gear - working out!!!

• Liked — View of Windsor Castle and big bathroom
  • Disliked — No fresh flowers
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
4 Thank MissSpaLover
Dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2008

Just came back from Stoke Park this weekend. I had booked my weekend there before reading the reviews on this site (just round this site) - so was prepared for the worst, but was attending a wedding so had to go!
I loved my bedroom in the new Pavilion. It was modern, but not do trendy. It had aircon and some really cool prints, furniture and a modern four poster. My room looked over their grass tennis courts so was a great view to wake up to. I can not comment on the restaraunt as I ate with the wedding. But I can say I had breakfast in the lounge over looking the pool which is was great. I would go back.

• Liked — Cool interior and view
  • Disliked — No-one with me!
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled solo
3 Thank DublinmanDublin
UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2008

We stayed here at the weekend and could not believe how bad the service was for a five star establishment that is charging the prices that it does. The staff weren't rude as such, but their attention to detail was lacking they got our breakfast order incorrect twice, spilt a drink on my jacket without an apology and were unable to correctly charge items to our room. The room that we stayed in was small but pleasent enough although it was really dark and extremly hot. There is no air con, mini bar or tea and coffee facilities in the room and we were also without a shower. The cleaning cupboard was near our room and the staff were sat on the stairs chatting outside the cupboard for most of our stay. The food was delicious and the golf course looked great, maybe this is a good place for a round of golf and a lunch but it is deffinately not a luxurious weekend getaway and is trading in the fact that it's been in a couple of movies and it's closeness to London.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank SnowmanUk
london
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2008

Stayed in the new pavilion which had only just been opened..and you could tell. Service atrocious in every respect - ignored at dinner for two hours while table next to us were served and had their glasses filled, breakfast orders incorrect, mini-bar not restocked, unhelpful reception, no toilet roll, iron delivered to room took 1 hour and was broken. On a separate note I found the atmosphere staid and unfriendly. The new block was like staying in a student halls of residence. Was given 1/3rd of the bill off as a consequence but we were kept waiting for 30 minutes while we were complaining. A waste of money and a waste of time. I have stayed recently in Four Seasons Hampshire and Pennyhill Park and boy those two are in a different league. Dreadful

• Liked — gym
  • Disliked — service
  • Stayed May 2008
8 Thank citytrader10
Guernsey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2008

I spent three nights at Stoke Park Club last weekend (May 08). On arrival, I actually asked our driver to continue along the drive way as I couln't believe we were in the right place. The main building is beautiful from the front, but the entrance is at the back and it's really scruffy. The steps are filthy from all the golfers and the whole facade needs to be cleaned and painted. What really put me off though was the curtains hanging off the poles for all to see. I genuinely thought these were the staff premises.
Our room (Lane Jackson) faced the golf course. I had specifically booked a room with a balcony. It does have a shared balcony, but I was immediately instructed by a very flustered porter not to use it as it was slippy. Nice! There was one, old brown wooden chair left lying around the balcony and anyway it was not to be used. Again, every heard of power hosing? The door onto the balcony could not be locked, but there were notices in our room telling us of a spate of robberies, albeit involving golf clubs, which fortunately we did not have.
The room itself was dark, musty and dingy. It was crammed with grandma's old furniture that looked like it needed a good scrub. The carpet was a digrace - stained and grey. I would not take my shoes off at all. The bed was comfortable and the linen was of good quality though and overall the room was quiet, if very cold due to ill fitting windows and no heating at all. It did have a fire, but the porter explained that it was way too complicated to light, so no one ever did!
The hair salon and spa are very medicore and over-priced. I had my hair blow dried at a cost of £63 and a very basic one hour facial at £85. They use their own products and they fairly gross. Steer clear of their white chocolate body cream - it's disgusting.
The food was actually very good and they have so many staff they are tripping over themselves. What they don't appear to have, is training or any good management. The food was nearly always served cold as the kitchen is so far away from the restaurant, so be careful before you tuck in.
Stoke Park Club is set in fantastic grounds, but unless you play golf or are prepared to take your life into your hands, you will not be able to benefit from them. I tried walking, but it really is quite dangerous and believe me - those golfers wait for no-one.
The course is apparently first class. I don't play golf, so cannot comment. Go to play golf - it seems most people do. Don't stay in the hotel, drive somewhere else instead.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Value for money
  • Stayed May 2005, travelled on business
Coworth Park - Dorchester Collection
Crowne Plaza Gerrards Cross
Crowne Plaza Gerrards Cross
#1 of 7 in Beaconsfield

Been to Stoke Park Country Club, Spa and Hotel? Share your experiences!