“A beautiful hotel.”

Stoke Park Country Club, Spa and Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Stoke Poges
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Hard to really say what is the best part of my stay. The room, the staff ,location and food all fantastic. I woke up to the sound of bird song and view over the golf course towards the river.i was staying with colleagues on a business trip and we decided to eat in the informal club bar in the Pavilion. Great staff and amazing food.

I am looking forward to my next visit as it really is an excellent place to get away from the "maddening crowd!"

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Tony M
Giammario R, General Manager at Stoke Park Country Club, Spa and Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you ever so much for this lovely review of your stay here with us, it always gives me such pleasure to read through our guest’s comments. I am absolutely delighted you had a wonderful stay with us, and hope you will be able to return in the near future, so we can showcase the rest of our first class facilities – as dinner in Humphry’s our 3 AA Rosette fine dining restaurant is one not to be missed.

Very best wishes and hope to welcome you back to stay with us soon,

Reviewed 9 July 2014

The hotel and grounds are stunning. The place doubles as a hotel and country club. The rooms are very nice and luxurious. The main building where Goldfinger was filmed is beautiful but very much showing its age. Needs an exterior paint job very badly. The spa had a number of things broken like the steam room and the spa staff did not know anything about their operations.

We stayed a week and the food was exceptional. The problem is the absolute awful wait staff service by anyone who was not a native of which there were only one or two people. Very few of the wait staff could understand English and each slight variation to a meal order was ignored. You would die from starvation if you tried to send a meal back. The service was painfully slow at both of their restaurants. Sometimes 30 minutes between courses. When it did arrive the food was great though. Drinks and side dishes would come well after the course had been served. Wine was always very slow in arriving. At the Brasserie the red wine was always warm and only tolerable as there were no other options. Each restaurant at the hotel badly needs a head Matre D' to make sure that things run smoothly. Absolutely no consistency in restaurant service day to day. One of the Club members who we talked with echoed these comments by saying that the service had always been an issue.

Had some issues on playing grass court tennis and being bumped by members as well as the groundskeeper. it had rained a little overnight but was bright and sunny out and the groundskeeper still said no grass tennis even though we were very good players. I had two rooms at L380 for a week. and I would expect to be able to play whenever I wanted since I had a court reservation as long as it wasn't raining out. if it was raining then hotel guests should have priority over kids lessons on the indoor courts.

All in all a very pleasant and relaxing stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Giammario R, General Manager at Stoke Park Country Club, Spa and Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review and I am delighted overall you had a very pleasant and relaxing stay with us and found our rooms to be luxurious and the grounds and hotel beautiful. I am also thrilled you found our food to be exceptional as well- it is always our aim to exceed guest expectations.

With regard to your issues regarding our grass tennis courts, due to the heavy rain during the previous night, in order to protect the courts and the Wimbledon specification standard, the decision was made by our Estate Director to keep them closed, to then be inspected again at 1pm. This was a professional decision, as with all grass courts, wet weather can cause serious damage if not managed properly. I sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused regarding this.

I have noted your comment regarding the waiting staff and would be very happy to discuss this further if you should like to contact me directly,

Thank you so much for coming to stay with us and I am glad overall you had a wonderful stay,

Very Best wishes,

Reviewed 21 June 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights to celebrate my birthday. We had a beautiful room called Windsor. The room was huge with two seating areas and filled with gorgeous antique furniture. Perfectly located centrally in the hotel with a big balcony overlooking the grounds.
On arrival we found wine, fruit and chocolates in our room. A lovely welcome. House keeping visited morning and evening, the room was cleaned to a good standard.
We ate in both restaurants Humphreys and San Marco. Majorly preferred the former. San Marco very casual with kids everywhere. Humphreys is fine dining and the food was of an excellent standard in a gorgeous dining room.
Breakfast again in the gorgeous palatial dining room. It was very good but not the best I've experienced.
On arrival we were met at the car, keys taken from us and the the car was parked and luggage taken to our room without asking. Reception and concierge were exceptional. Friendly, attentive and one never needed to ask twice. As for the restaurants everyone was pleasant but service although good was not exceptional and quite often very slow.
I just love it here and will come back again just to stay here.
The only comment for improvement would be the toiletries in our room. We were given one 30ml bottle of shampoo and shower gel for the 3 of us in a room that with breakfast was close to £1000 per night. When I asked for more they were provided but I had to ask every morning.

Room Tip: Choose mansion for a more traditional stay. The pavillion is close by and modern. San Marco is locat...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank gigilebonne
Giammario R, General Manager at Stoke Park Country Club, Spa and Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you so very much for you beautiful review of your stay with us- it means so much to everyone here to receive this feedback, and I am hugely grateful, thank you!

I am absolutely delighted you had a wonderful stay- it is always our aim to exceed guest expectations, and I am so glad you loved your room and meal in Humphry’s and in particular thank you for you comments regarding our reception and concierge team. We really hope to welcome you back again soon!

With warmest regards and huge thanks,

Reviewed 18 June 2014

I spent the day at Stoke park to attend The Boodles tennis event. Our group had the hospitality package and we were not disappointed. The food and service were absolutely first class and we had a fantastic day. The event was well organised and the experience was truly special. I look forward to another visit and this time an overnight stay.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Foxyvegaschick

Dear Guest,

I am absolutely thrilled you and your guests had a wonderful day at The Boodles! Thank you so much for your very kind words and for taking the time to write your review- it is hugely appreciated and I am delighted you had a fantastic time!

I really hope to welcome you back to stay with us soon!

With warmest regards,

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Having been lucky enough to stay in some quality hotels over the years I feel I know what a 5 star experience is and unfortuntely Stoke park on this occasion did not deliver that experience.
The hotel itself is set on a beautiful golf course and looks spectacular although the manor house reception is not particularly well identified as there is nothing to direct you to reception and you only find it once you stop to look and the concierge approaches your vehicle.
Check in was a little too swift with people shoving forms under your nose from different angles for different aspects of your stay which was a little overwhelming when you have just arrived in a hotel foyer.
Our room was very nice with plenty of character and views to die for, it was well equipped and comfortable as was the bar and Humphreys restaurant is the jewel in the crown as the 'trainee' waiting staff that tended to our needs were excellent and went above and beyond to give us a 5 star meal.
We were informed when we booked that there would be a wedding on at the hotel during our stay which wasn't a problem as they are a common occurance these days but what we were not told was that 'public' areas would be out of bounds during that time which included the main staircase in the manor house which meant us having to use a very narrow and quite steep staicase to get to the restaurant on Saturday evening which I find unacceptable.
Overall it's a nice hotel but there are better places to stay for the same or less money.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ExcaliberMidlands
Giammario R, General Manager at Stoke Park Country Club, Spa and Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review and for you positive comments. I am delighted that you enjoyed your room, views, and meal in Humphry’s, in particular your mention of our waiting staff. It is always our aim to exceed guest expectations and I’m very glad you found this to be excellent.

With regard to your overall review, we feel that a 3 star review is a bit harsh, looking at your overall experience of your stay. Your main criticism is that one of the public areas was closed for a short time for the wedding. We did pre warn that the Great Hall and Staircase would not be available for two hours during your stay, so I understand you were made aware of this. We are always very conscious to keep the public areas open, and when needed to be closed for weddings or private events, they are closed only for a short period of time.

I do hope it didn’t detract from your stay, and hope to welcome you back to Stoke Park and if you do choose to return, hope that we exceed your expectations,

With best wishes,

Reviewed 12 June 2014

We recently stayed at Stoke Park for our wedding anniversary.We were impressed by the decor and furnishings , very elegant!
We greatly appreciated the warm welcome . In our room there were fresh fruits, chocolates and cupcakes. We also had a personnal signed message from the manager wishing us a pleasant stay. Our bedroom was very comfortable and nicely decorated with the deck overlooking a beautiful park. We had a swim at the pool ( clean and very pleasant).
The staff were amazing and we felt at home. We can't recommend highly enough.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you so very much for taking the time to write your review and for your very kind words. I am absolutely thrilled you had a wonderful stay with us and delighted you spent your wedding anniversary with us!

Thank you so much for all your comments, they are greatly appreciated and I will make sure they are passed to all the staff,

We really hope to welcome you back to stay soon!

With Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 7 June 2014

This is a five star golf club not a five
star hotel. I can only suggest it acquired it's five star rating as it has the check list of facilities including spa, gym, pool and golf course. This hotel is 3 star at best and the interior designer needs to be shot!

The long drive through the entrance and through the golf course initially impressed me, although the massive adverts for the Boodles tennis tournament and Katherine Jenkins events are a bit tacky.

Upon arrival I was disappointed to see the main building needed repairing and repainting- it doesn't look as smart as the images online.

Upon entering the reception staff were welcoming and generally service was good. Our room was not ready so we decided to have lunch in the orangery. This was a grand room that was well painted however the furniture looked like it had come from a 60's travelodge with lacquered tables. Fortunately the lunch was satisfactory but choice of crockery was basic- not 5 star!

After lunch we decided to go for a walk to find that whilst there were 2 nice fountains outside again the main building was in disrepair with paint peeling off and the pebble walkways were not maintained.

We booked into the spa, I had a manicure and pedicure. I was hoping for a tranquil experience however found myself and the nail spa to be poorly positioned in the hallway. There had been a pop up shop in the foyer and the owner and team were taking it down - there were ikea bags and plastic tubs everywhere and they were chatting loudly to each other. So all in all not a particularly relaxing experience. Don't think you would find this activity happening in Claridges?! I then looked over to find the girl behind the spa reception to be filing her nails behind the counter! The only saving grace is the quality of my mani and pedi was good and the girls were polite.

The room was a good size but I felt like I was in a slightly glamourised travelodge. There were stains on the carpet and piles of dirty laundry plonked on the corridor floors when we were being walked to our room. The room had a large bed with good bed linen but there was a bizarre mix of pop up pictures on the walls that were not in keeping with the classic decor. There were also nasty wooden bed side tables and a coffee table In the room. The sort of stuff you find in a hospital. Someone had damaged our coffee table and you could clearly see someone had used polyfiller to fix it! There were also large scratches on some of the wall art. The entire decor was a total mismatch of eras. Again the saving grace was the marble bathroom which was up to five star standard.

We haven't had dinner yet but I felt so compelled to write a review.

I'm disappointed overall about Stoke Park. It looked glamorous and certainly 5 star on the website but in reality it is not. It is not in the same league as any 5 star london hotel like the Langham, Dorchester, Claridges unfortunately.

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Pip1807
Giammario R, General Manager at Stoke Park Country Club, Spa and Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review and for your positive comments. I would like to personally address some of the issues you have raised.

Stoke Park was recently awarded its 5 AA Red Star status. This award is the highest accolade a hotel can receive in the UK and Ireland, and is awarded for outstanding service and facilities and so I am sorry you felt your expectations were not fully met.

You have made it crystal clear that the interior design of the bedroom you stayed in was not to your personal taste. Interior design is very subjective, but as we are a country estate, it is slightly unfair to compare us to the style of London hotels.

Your bedroom was in our contemporary Pavilion building, which opened in 2008. We have received a lot of positive comments about them from guests who request this style. We have a number of repeat guests who specifically choose to stay in the Pavilion, again I am sorry this was not to your liking.

We have 28 bedrooms in the Pavilion and 21 in our 18th Century Mansion – each building has completely different styles. My understanding is that your partner booked the Pavilion, but if you did not like the room we could have moved you into the Mansion. If you had made us aware my team would have be more than happy to assist you with your request.

With regard to the maintenance issues with your bedroom, I sincerely apologise about this. Again, had we been made aware of them, we would have immediately moved you to another room, however I understand no comment was made to our Reception team during your stay.

With regard to your comments regarding our Orangery, we have invested in new furniture this year and all the walls have been recently fabric lined. There are no lacquered tables.

In reference to your comment about the outside painting of our Grade I Listed Mansion I can assure you that this is an ongoing project. We maintain and repaint it every year, however due to the recent inconsistent weather this has been a little bit of a challenge. It will be done over the coming weeks. The paths in the garden had been scraped back for a fresh surface which is being installed by Tuesday 17th June.

The signage we have at the end of the drive is only there during June to promote our events we have during the month. We are hosting three wonderful events, of which we are very proud: our annual Boodles tennis, where players such as Novak Djokovic and John Isner play, and our summer concerts with Sir Elton John and Katherine Jenkins. The signage will be taken down by the 30th June.

I hope that you enjoyed the rest of your stay with us. I would be delighted to speak with you directly regarding your comments at your convenience.

Very Best wishes,

#2 of 19 in Windsor
Crowne Plaza Gerrards Cross
Crowne Plaza Gerrards Cross
#1 of 7 in Beaconsfield

Been to Stoke Park Country Club, Spa and Hotel? Share your experiences!