“Go here for the food!”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Stoke Poges
London, United Kingdom
“Go here for the food!”
Reviewed 6 May 2012

My fiancee and i stayed here over easter weekend - just for a one night break. We paid extra for a garden view room which, I have to say was a little dissapointing. There are some with full glass doors and on a summer's day it would be lovely looking on to the walled garden, but our room just had a window and was very small and claustrophobic. We asked to move into the main house and were given a standard room which was tastefully decorated and pleasant enough.

But the rooms arent why you visit here.. the food was absolutely outstanding. And if you get a deal with D, B&B good value. It is very experimental and just amazing. Breakfast was great too.

When we checked out, I did ask if the room we had was cheaper than the one we had booked (which it was ) and was told no. It was only £10 difference but for the principle I did say I didnt think that was very good not to offer the refund. Reception staff let the place downa bit.

Overall - I wouldnt expect too much of the rooms but the food and service in the bar are both absolutely brilliant and worth a visit

1 Thank AndreaC75

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Iver, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2012

I booked into the queen Anne suite at stoke place to prepare for my wedding which was being held at another local venue and to then stay the night with my new husband. From the moment we made our initial enquiry about booking the room and requesting an early check in, the staff did their upmost to be accommodating and extremely helpful.
On the actual day the staff could not have been more courteous and attentive, each and every member of staff I came across throughout my short stay were a real credit to their management team.
Stoke place is professional and clearly prides itself on its high standards yet it's not a stuffy establishment. It's modern, it's refreshing, scrupulously clean and above all very welcoming.
Our room was beautiful with amazing views and facilities, as a wedding / honeymoon suite it fitted the bill perfectly. The weather wasn't great when I arrived to get ready and 3 members of staff helped me to unload my car, took my bags and dress up to the room and parked my car for me so my hair wouldn't get ruined!
From making our booking and initial enquiries through to arriving on the day, we were assisted by Mark Ramsey, whose customer focus is exceptional and who went the extra mile to make sure our stay was a special one.
I would highly recommend stoke place and would dearly love to stay there again.

Room Tip: The Queen Anne Suite was perfect in every way!
St Neots, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2012

My partner and I stayed here at the end of April 2012 via a D,B&B deal on SecretEscapes. The hotel is very tastefully modernised and the gardens looked fabulous, although we did not explore them as it was raining throughout our stay. The food is excellent and the waiting staff are extremely attentive. However, I was surprised to find out that the hotel had booked us at table at 7pm and we were not asked when we would prefer to dine. I was also surprised to be told that they had run out of port, but they dealt with this beautifully by giving me a free glass of champagne. I also had to ask for tea and coffee making facilities to be put into the room as this is not availalble as standard apparently. The room wasn't huge, but fine for us. The bed was a bit hard and the feathers in the pillows, although lovely to start with, needed plumping through the night. We had a wonderful breakfast in bed, which made up for the pillows! I probably would stay here again, but not if I had to pay full price.

London
Reviewed 30 April 2012

We stayed for 3 nights over Christmas 2011 and as there were so few guests we got upgraded to a lovely suite over looking the gardens. The room was very spacious, bed very comfy and bathroom a good size. The massive downer was that it was boiling in our room, even with the windows open, so in December we had to put on the AC which was a bit noisy.
The gardens are nice for a stroll and the staff were all really helpful and friendly. All in all a great few days and very reasonably priced compared to other Christmas breaks

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Berkhamsted, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2012

Had a 1 night stay to celebrate my birthday, booking a special package which included the room, breakfast and evening meal in the restaurant. The house itself is a lovely, grand, slightly quirky country estate with private gardens, lakes and woodlands. The grounds were all well kept and we enjoyed a walk around the lake (despite the rain!). The house itself is very impressive, with a bit of a quirky mix of old and new furniture. Our room was in the main house, lovely period features, but again a quirky mix of old and new furniture. All clean, smart, everything you need, just quirky. However, the most unusual part was the service. The 2 people at reception were very relaxed, friendly, almost laid-back. Whereas the restaurant staff were very formal, posh, silver service and we felt like we couldn't really relax. The food was impressive, although the chef did like to over-indulge a little on the extra dishes between courses, so from what we ordered as 3 courses turned into 7! However, all very nice, again quirky, certainly things I wouldn't have tried elsewhere. Overall, I'd describe it as a place with character - its certainly not a generic corporate box. But I do think they need to decide whether their service is relaxed or formal.

Room Tip: We stayed in the main house, which was a traditional grand room. We saw the new rooms which were set...
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 April 2012

Stoke Place is fine but it could be a lot better. I think it probably depends on what room you get. If you get room 1, like I did, then your experience will be mediocre at best. This room sits right over the front entrance and you can pretty much hear everything that is being said. It is also tiny and is one of those rooms where you open the door and you are straight at the bed which always feels like you're sleeping in the corridor because when anyone walks past the room you can hear it like they are in there with you. I also had to ask to get proper feather pillows. They were provided by this is the kind of detail that should dealt with already.
So - avoid room 1 and others like it. Having said that, some of the rooms are great being large and with nice views.
The food we had was a mix of the really good to the slightly strange. Breakfast is fine and the cooked English was very good. Dinner was good but lunch an odd mix of buffet dishes that did not make sense. The nearby pub serves good pub food and has a pleasant atmosphere to it.
The staff were by and large helpful and friendly.
Ultimately I felt Stoke Place was missing something. The layout of the hotel does not quite work for me and the public rooms with the nice views to the pond are given over to meeting rooms.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank MetalPigeon
Zurich
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We chose Stoke Place to hold a very special 50th birthday party, catering for over 40 guests for a sit down meal, entertainment, DJ and an open bar. We took 17 rooms and everything was organised remotely as we don't live in the UK, this included all menus, cakes, decorating the Room and liaising with our guests regarding accommodation. The staff were excellent, very attentive taking in to account all our/ guests requirements. The food was prepared and presented fabulously. The rooms were also good and all in all the whole experience was great and we had very good feedback from our guests also. It's a lovely venue, but the key to the success of the weekend was the staff all of whom gave very personal service making it very special indeed.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
#1 of 7 in Beaconsfield
Cliveden House
Cliveden House
#1 of 2 in Taplow

Been to Stoke Place? Share your experiences!