“Alexandra Suite - Stunning Room”
Review of Stoke Place

Stoke Place
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Stoke Poges
London, United Kingdom
“Alexandra Suite - Stunning Room”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

This is the second time we've been to Stoke Place. The first time was disappointing. This time was better in every way. The Alexandra Suite was a lovely room with views out over the grounds. The dinner at the restaurant was also extremely high quality.

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review, it is so nice to receive such lovely feedback, I am so glad you enjoyed your time with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Kind Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2014

We booked ourselves in for a champagne tasting dinner night and I really felt the deal was super value for money. On arrival we were met with a bottle of champagne on ice in our room and chocolates. Included in the price we enjoyed a seven course tasking menu for dinner and a full English breakfast - all for £219 for the two of us.

Bar prices were high but not horrific, paid £11 for house wine and a beer, but I did object with a service charge being added to our bill without our consent, that seemed a bit cheeky and I wasn't shown the bill breakdown until after I had paid. My fault for not asking I guess but once you have paid you don't want to appear cheap by disputing it.

For one round of drinks they added on about £1.50 for us to be served in the bar, and in the restaurant we were served water for which we were charged, about £4 for the bottle, and we were charged an additional £3.50 to be served our wine and water! This was a treat for us and we are not rich so adding on almost ten pounds to the bill for you doing your job and giving me some water is a bit naughty- surely as the customer I should decide if I want to tip you and how much?

While our room was small and our bathroom tiny, the sheets and towels were good quality and the room modern and stylish. The tea and coffee was not well stocked and the long life milk was off but there was a clear sign saying you could have more if needed.

The gr,ounds were lovely and you could see why it was a popular wedding venue. We went on a Thursday so only couples there and no issues with access to all areas.

Wifi good, we were able to use multiple devices at once and watch a film on Netflix.

Terry M, Manager at Stoke Place, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear guest thank you for the lovely review, I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We have taken on board your feedback and will action accordingly. Once again thank you and we hope to see you in the future.

Kind regards
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We stayed here for one night, on a Monday. As we were travelling with our small dog, this came up on a search engine as a dog-friendly hotel. Having previously attended a wedding reception here, we knew it and booked a standard room on the telephone (no option for dogs on the website!). We were told the only option with a dog was a garden room, which in my past experience of similar hotels usually means an outbuilding away from the main building that has been converted to provide accommodation.
When we reached our room, we discovered a very small room, which considering it was £10 more than a main building standard room, plus an additional £10 'dog charge', does seem overpriced.
Outside the room, the garden appeared neglected and the tall plants immediately outside the door were trampled and broken as if a person had previously fallen into them.
The small table and chairs which presumably should have been outside each room were assembled in a large group at one end of the paved area - presumably a legacy of the previous weekend's wedding that nobody had bothered to reposition. We liberated 2 chairs and a table for ourselves with the intention of sitting outside in the early evening.
Unacceptably when we entered our room and washed our hands, we discovered that the plug was firmly stuck in the hand basin and therefore water would not drain away. The obvious question is why the maid did not discover this fault when she cleaned the basin (assuming of course that it had been cleaned!). We telephoned and a gentleman who we assumed was from house services arrived a few minutes later. Unfortunately he spoke no English at all, so communication was somewhat difficult! As by this time we had also found that there were unidentifiable marks on the duvet cover, we asked to be moved, and Chloe, who was the only efficient member of staff we encountered, reacted immediately and moved us to a larger and much more acceptable room. As we needed to repack, trying to communicate to the house services man that we were moving rooms and that we needed him to wait outside the room for 5 minutes tested all our communication and hand gesture skills!
Our new room's bed was very comfortable and large, the air conditioning efficient and the shower was hot and powerful (although a deep clean of the tiles would have removed some of the mould in the grouting).
We slept well and rose late, so only wandered over to the main house for breakfast at 09:15 (breakfast is apparently served until 10:30). Upon reaching the dining room, only 3 or 4 other tables were occupied, but it was obvious from the unmade up state of other tables that they had been vacated earlier. Of staff there was no sign, so we placed ourselves on a made-up table by the window, with views over the attractive grounds, and helped ourselves to juice from the buffet, avoiding the orange juice jug in which a fly was swimming / dying. I did point this out to a male waiter who had then appeared, and he removed it.
I returned to our table, whereupon our conversation was interrupted by a female waiter: 'You can't sit there, it's laid up for dinner' (it was now 09:25). 'Where can we sit then?' my wife asked. 'There, in front of the entrance door' came the reply. We told her that we did not wish to sit there, and wanted instead to sit by the window, so asked that she instead laid up one of the unmade up tables, which she begrudgingly did, at her own tardy pace!
Breakfast was average.
In summary, I suspect that this is a major function venue, that fills it's spare rooms during the week by pretending to be a hotel. Not an enjoyable experience and not to be repeated.

3 Thank ArthurAvios
Dear guest

Thank you for your review, I am so glad to see Chloe was able to help and got you settled in a bigger room. I have taken on board your comments and have addressed them with the team. Once again thank you for your review, and do hope you will visit us in the future.

Sitges, Spain
Reviewed 4 August 2014

As you drive up to the hotel you get a good feeling about the place, the lawns are massive and well maintained. there is an air of history about this place that intrigues. Check in process was average at best, I was partially led to the room by the receptionist who then left me hanging by saying if you go up the stairs your room will be on the right. I wondered why she would not complete what she started and as I took the steps I realized why, the steps were leading up to the attic area and there was no room for me and my luggage to fit at the same time. Room was small and due to it being in the attic was very low. Worst of all there was no facility to shower in the bathroom, not being accustomed to taking baths lying down, I kept hitting my head on the bathroom ceiling. I do not believe I will go back despite the charm this place exudes. for me the functionality of a franchised business hotel is preferred over everything this place provides.

Room Tip: DO NOT accept a room at attic level.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Sunil S
Dear guest

Thank you for your review, Being a grade list building does have its challenges with low ceilings and narrow staircases. I am saddened on this occation that you did not enjoy your stay with us due to these 2 points, as these could have been rectified by Reception moving you to another room. I do always try to encourage our customers to enquire at Reception if you are not entirely satisfied with their room, so we can find you a more suitable room to your liking. Should you wish to return please mention on booking that you would like a shower and high ceilings. We have such lovely rooms here at Stoke Place over looking the grounds, I am sure you would have enjoyed your stay with us, Once again thank you for your review, I have noted the comments for Reservations and Reception.

Beira
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I was really looking forward to my stay here, admittedly only for one night but for a special occasion. When I booked I explained to the hotel why I would be there with my family and that we would need to return to the hotel after the ceremony we were attending to change clothes etc. As it turned out we had to get changed in the car park as the hotel was occupied fully by other guests. I had originally booked to have a dog with us, but on check in advised that the dog was not with us, I was charged for it anyway.

I understand that price is associated with location and the hotel certainly has a great location, lovely grounds and is well-appointed. However the cost of food and beverages in no way equated to the standard of service or quality of food served. After a disappointing dinner we opted not to stay at the hotel for lunch the following day as we had planned (in fact we couldn't have done so because it was fully occupied, which we were not told in advance) and went to a pub down the road where we got much better service and food for half the price.

In general the hotel seemed to lack management. There are a lot of staff but they do not seem to be being directed by anyone and so service is disjointed. People are individually pleasant enough but not welcoming and efficient as one would expect in a hotel of this rating.

The breakfast was also disappointing, the bacon appeared to have been boiled and the mushrooms were out of a tin. It's a real pity because the hotel infrastructure is lovely

Room Tip: I didn't see the rooms in the main house but suspect they may be larger than the garden courtyar...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank CDbew
Beira, Sofala, Mozambique
Reviewed 29 July 2014

This is an absolutely beautiful location and has a wonderful “country” feel despite being in a urban setting. As per the information provided by reception it is easy to see that this would be an extremely popular wedding location. The issue was, we were not there for a wedding and as guests using the hotel for one evening our experience was extremely poor. Expensive upmarket hotels/restaurants can often be pretentious; this is excusable if it is matched by impeccable service, sadly Stoke Place dismally failed in this regard. The service throughout our stay was lacking but as a reflection of how poor it was we took the evening meal on the veranda and on three occasions I had to leave the table and enter the building to call staff to serve us/continue serving us. Quite simply the table and bar service was abysmal. While the food was adequate it certainly did not match the price charged. The hotel had the first guests arriving for a wedding the following day and were left with the impression that not being part of the wedding, we were more of a nuisance that valued guests. While certainly not begrudging any business that successfully captures the lucrative wedding trade, it would be preferable if they closed their hotel to outside guests during these periods instead of taking their booking and then treating them as an unwelcome burden. If booking I would strongly recommend you consult as to wedding bookings prior to confirmation otherwise you could risk being treated as we were, like invisible guests.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank GraemeBeira
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We stayed overnight last week. We upgraded to an executive room, which was spacious and well appointed. The room which was part of a cottage, had been split into two guest rooms. The en suite bathroom was a bit tired looking and needed decorating but the bath, shower and basins were fairly new and in good condition. As part of our package we had a three course meal. Although the portions were small, they were still enough for us and the food was delicious and well presented. The small restaurant was bright and welcoming. The hotel bar is small and very ordinary and personally I was a bit disappointed, as I did not find it welcoming and also they had no draft beer. The grounds are very pleasant with large lawns and a fishing lake. I found the staff to be extremely pleasant and helpful. We would have no hesitation in staying there again.

Room Tip: Our executive room was well worth the extra we paid.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
#1 of 7 in Beaconsfield
Cliveden House
Cliveden House
#1 of 2 in Taplow

Been to Stoke Place? Share your experiences!