“Fantastic experience time and again!”
Review of Cliveden House

Cliveden House
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Taplow
Harpenden, United Kingdom
“Fantastic experience time and again!”
Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at Cliveden on a number of occasions over the past years and have always found it to be faultless. The rooms are stunning, the food is great (although I do miss the old Waldo's restaurant) and the staff are always courteous and very helpful. This is not a cheap hotel (although they do have some really good special offers - watch out for the 2 nights for the price of 1) but it is worth the expense. It is not often you can stay in surroundings as grand as this with a history as rich as Cliveden's. Always fun to swim in the pool where Profumo and Christine Keeler had their liaison in the 1960s. I cannot recommend Cliveden highly enough and look forward to my next visit.

Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Sue W, General Manager at Cliveden House, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Thank you for your continued support of Cliveden and for coming back to stay once again. I am happy to hear that you had a great stay and enjoyed your surroundings whilst you are with us. I hope we can inspire you to keep you retuning to our door for many years to come.
Kind regards Sue W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Firstly lets address the refurbishment. Thank goodness those faux book shelves that let down The Terrace have been taken out. The chandeliers are still there and overall the refurb is restrained possibly edging towards anodyne but restful and the acoustics are good. We were there on a cold Feb evening and there were definitely drafts coming through the closed shutters on the far right table as you look out such that we had to move table.

We had the Valentines tasting menu after drinks in the hall which is always a real delight. The nine courses were excellent - highlights being the smoked eel beignets with the scallops, the roast game consommé with mini cep brioche, the langoustine thermidor and the beautifully prepared saddle of venison where the cooking was perfect. For me the slow cooked cox's apple with walnut ice cream was lacking textural interest - it was a bit on the sour side and one dimensional but this really is nit picking. The ice cider was interesting

Service throughout was exemplary both before and during the meal. This is a great improvement and a valuable addition to an outstanding establishment.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Sue W, General Manager at Cliveden House, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
I am delighted the romantic in you drove you to our doors on Valentines night. It was a shockingly back night weather wise and still you ventured out, thank you. The wind challenged this old house terribly and I am sorry it effected your comfort. I am so pleased that dinner was a triumph and the new interior worked for you. I have to agree the faux books had more than had their day! happy to report we are busy giving this wonderful old house its loving touches once again.
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2014

It was my first visit to Cliveden and from the moment we turned left at the water feature and saw the grand building ahead of us I knew we were in for a memorable afternoon. Fantastic rooms and far reaching views down towards the Thames, The staff were generous with their time and warm nature, making us feel welcome from the start. After copious glasses of Champagne in the library in front of an open fire, we were taken into a lovely dining room, again with amazing views and treated to the most delicious food imaginable. Each course was so tasty you did not want it to end...savouring every last morsel. I would not hesitate a moment to return to this delightful place and will be bringing a change of shoes the next time to take advantage of the huge gardens. Well done Cliveden and thank you for making my partner's birthday one to remember.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
It is certainly a pleasure to read that you had such an enjoyable Birthday lunch and thank you for taking the time to review us on line. Of all the lovely comments I really enjoyed hearing how the team were warm and welcoming. We have a wonderful crew and I really feel they make a big difference. Good to hear the food was very much to your taste too, Chef André joins me in wishing you a belated happy birthday and we hope to welcome you back again soon. Kind regards Sue W
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 13 February 2014

The first time I visited Cliveden was in the 1990s, and I find myself staying or dining at the location every year or two, and with frequent ownership/management changes and National Trust funding issues I have always found the house lacking in much needed refurbishment (external and internal) and the staff's quality has had its ups and downs. Now that there is a new owner, a new executive chef, and a member of Relais and Chateaux group, I looked forward to coming back, hoping to showcase the property to friends as well. Glad I wasn't disappointed. We were greeted at Gatwick on a rainy day, and when we arrived at Cliveden we were greeted very enthusiastically by the front house staff and escorted to the 2 most recently renovated rooms in the properties, which I must say is very well done, even without the view of the fountain or the parterre. As the rooms are rather far away from the great hall, the hike for the enthusiastic front office staff that brought us to the rooms just to bring us all the suitcases was truly a work-out. We had lunch at the Club (great fish and chips), and the obligatory walk around the property down to the Thames was invigorating. I am glad to see the external walls of the hotel are finally getting finished and the back grand staircase is now in the process of getting refurbished. I am also glad to see that the East Wing is now being renovated. During our visit that were multiple conferences going on and a wedding showcase which made the house rather crowded. Dinner at the former Terrace Dining Room (after a much needed renovation) is a must. Food is great, wine selection superb and gone is the old stuffiness and in come a breath of fresh air. The drawing room and library is left untouched but I love the combination of old and new right next to one another. Breakfast is also plentiful. We went to the spa and loved the outdoor hot tub and indoor swimming pool. The trainer asked us whether we would be enjoying the gym during our stay and we all laughed and said no. Overall, a perfect stay. I couldn't find a single fault with the service during our stay. Next time, I will check and see whether there are conferences going on before booking my stay, just to have fewer people around. I hope this place will only get better and better from here onward.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Enjoys_Relaxing
Sue W, General Manager at Cliveden House, responded to this review, 14 February 2014
I fully share your sentiment and whilst I and our strategic team are at the helm, coupled with our owners who care very much about the house we all aim to do just that, to take Cliveden House from strength to strength. Cliveden is a remarkable property and we have now gathered a fantastic team so we have lots of great elements to take us forward. That coupled with all the physical enhancements that are planned we are all set for a bright future. Thank you for all your kind words and we hope to welcome you back next year if not sooner if your diary allows. Kind regards Sue W
Thruxton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2014

My wife has been "asking" me to take her to Cliveden for years and I finally gave way and we had a birthday dinner and stayed the night. it was every bit as good as we had expected. When we arrived the room was not ready, for perfectly good reasons, and we were treated to a glass of champagne and then upgraded to a splendid suite; what luxury.
Cliveden is not glossy or bright shiny new and all the better for that-what counts in a good hotel is first class service, clean comfortable bedrooms and good food all of which were provided.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
I am so pleased that your long awaitied visit to us hit he mark. When anticipation is riding high so is the challenge to get every element of your stay exactly right, so I am glad your wife's Birthday treat was a success. Thank you for choosing us for this special occasion and for taking the time to post your review. Very best wishes Sue W
london
Reviewed 9 February 2014

We chose Cliveden as we wanted a quick break, close to London. I had struggled to find it due to road closures & poor signage so arrived feeling somewhat frazzled but these feelings were quickly soothed away by the fantastic young concierge who greeted me & checked me in. His professionalism & warmth continued to stand out throughout our stay. All of the staff we encountered were very good & extremely helpful.
It is set in a beautiful position with stunning views & we had delightful walks throughout the grounds. As confirmed city dwellers neither of us owns a pair of wellies but the hotel helpfully provided us with boots so we could wander the estate freely.
Our room was fantastic, we had been upgraded from a Classic Room & had a delightful room that was perfectly appointed with a gorgeous fireplace & lovely views.
The tasting menu was superb & we had pre dinner drinks in the beautiful & historic library. The pictures, books & furniture were all fascinating.
The morning brought breakfast, the only negative experience of the stay & the reason the hotel doesn't get the 5 stars the rest of it deserves.
Having paid £350 for a room, it is slightly galling to have to pay £20 for a full breakfast. It is not the actual cost as £20 was a tiny proportion of our final bill, rather that it is treated as a way of extracting more money from guests. Also the continental buffet was really below the standard of the rest of the hotel. The choices were pretty limited & the pastries & cereals compared very poorly to what's on offer at the other hotels we have stayed at recently, & that includes an emergency stay at a Premier Inn in Glasgow! It was also on a very small table which meant it was very congested & required a lot of negotiating around other guests.
Despite this slight disappointment, I would very readily recommend this hotel & we definitely hope to return.

2 Thank minihally
Sue W, General Manager at Cliveden House, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
So close & yet fell at the last hurdle, our apologies. As hoteliers we are so mindful that breakfast is your last impression you have of us so we will take your feedback and keep enhancing our offering. I know Chef Andre has a number of new breakfast items going on the menu this week. Thank you for all your other kind comments and we very much hope to be able to welcome you back one day. Kind regards Sue W
poole
Reviewed 7 February 2014 via mobile

I wanted something special for my wife's birthday. Our stay at Cliveden was perfect. The room was beautiful. staff were friendly and always on hand. meals were delicious and staff v knowledgeable and professional. spa was relaxing and as good as anything I'd been to before. Well done Cliveden keep up the good work !

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Lovely words such as yours completely spur us on to keep up the good work. Thank you for taking a moment to send us your review and I am delighted it was a Birthday treat much enjoyed.
Kind regards Sue W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taplow
Stoke Park Country Club, Spa and Hotel
Grovefield House
Grovefield House
#1 of 3 in Burnham
Macdonald Compleat Angler

Been to Cliveden House? Share your experiences!