“This grand lady is for turning”
Review of Cliveden House

Cliveden House
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Taplow
London, United Kingdom
“This grand lady is for turning”
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Its 4 years since our last visit and we were hoping for improvements and were not disappointed. From the second you turn in the drive you feel like you are in for a lovely treat and historical atmosphere. All the staff were very friendly welcoming. The dinning room has had a lovely face lift with great detail including the wonderful chandeliers. The food is just lovely, well presented and very tasty.
Its great to see the owners are spending money on bring this fine hotel back to were it should be for generations to come. The bedrooms are also being updated with the same care and attention to detail, well done, loved it. A must for your bucket list.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Sue W, General Manager at Cliveden House, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
The fortunes of hotels can turn so quickly and the good news is Cliveden is on a very positive trajectory since the new owners took the house on two years ago. Thank you for commenting on the investment that is taking place, these old houses do take a great deal of upkeep and like you I am enjoying seeing the difference the investment and the care and attention is bringing. The Grand old lady has turned and is pushing on full steam ahead. Thank you for your review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
Wokingham, Berkshire
Reviewed 21 February 2014

In March last year we had a disappointing Afternoon Tea at Cliveden and I reviewed it on Tripadvisor. I was pleasantly surprised to receive a message from Sue the General Manager asking me to discuss the experience with her. Sue was very apologetic and invited us back to Cliveden again as her guests.
We decided to return in December, we were greeted very quickly and once I gave them my name were escorted to our table in front of the fire. We were blown away by the enormous Christmas tree in the Great Hall and it felt so warm and homely!

Within minutes of being seated we were asked what drinks we would like and they were brought to us very promptly, completely different to the last time we had been. Our waiters were all very polite and helpful and we had service with a smile. The food came in no time at all and was fresh, delicious and filling! We spent a good couple of hours there, our drinks were topped up regularly and our sandwiches and cakes replenished. After we had finished we had some family pictures in front of the tree and a member of staff kindly took some for us.

We had a lovely afternoon here and I would like to have seen Sue to tell her just what a difference this time around was and to thank her for inviting us back. That sort of service is memorable and I look forward to returning again in the future.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for giving us a second chance to show you that we can get it right for our guests. When slips happen it is disappointing but the intent to deliver a great experience for our guests is certainly our intent so thank you for this opportunity and for reflecting your experience in this review. Hope to welcome you again one day. Kind regards Sue W
Harpenden, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at Cliveden on a number of occasions over the past years and have always found it to be faultless. The rooms are stunning, the food is great (although I do miss the old Waldo's restaurant) and the staff are always courteous and very helpful. This is not a cheap hotel (although they do have some really good special offers - watch out for the 2 nights for the price of 1) but it is worth the expense. It is not often you can stay in surroundings as grand as this with a history as rich as Cliveden's. Always fun to swim in the pool where Profumo and Christine Keeler had their liaison in the 1960s. I cannot recommend Cliveden highly enough and look forward to my next visit.

Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your continued support of Cliveden and for coming back to stay once again. I am happy to hear that you had a great stay and enjoyed your surroundings whilst you are with us. I hope we can inspire you to keep you retuning to our door for many years to come.
Kind regards Sue W
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Firstly lets address the refurbishment. Thank goodness those faux book shelves that let down The Terrace have been taken out. The chandeliers are still there and overall the refurb is restrained possibly edging towards anodyne but restful and the acoustics are good. We were there on a cold Feb evening and there were definitely drafts coming through the closed shutters on the far right table as you look out such that we had to move table.

We had the Valentines tasting menu after drinks in the hall which is always a real delight. The nine courses were excellent - highlights being the smoked eel beignets with the scallops, the roast game consommé with mini cep brioche, the langoustine thermidor and the beautifully prepared saddle of venison where the cooking was perfect. For me the slow cooked cox's apple with walnut ice cream was lacking textural interest - it was a bit on the sour side and one dimensional but this really is nit picking. The ice cider was interesting

Service throughout was exemplary both before and during the meal. This is a great improvement and a valuable addition to an outstanding establishment.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Sue W, General Manager at Cliveden House, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
I am delighted the romantic in you drove you to our doors on Valentines night. It was a shockingly back night weather wise and still you ventured out, thank you. The wind challenged this old house terribly and I am sorry it effected your comfort. I am so pleased that dinner was a triumph and the new interior worked for you. I have to agree the faux books had more than had their day! happy to report we are busy giving this wonderful old house its loving touches once again.
Kind regards Sue W
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2014

It was my first visit to Cliveden and from the moment we turned left at the water feature and saw the grand building ahead of us I knew we were in for a memorable afternoon. Fantastic rooms and far reaching views down towards the Thames, The staff were generous with their time and warm nature, making us feel welcome from the start. After copious glasses of Champagne in the library in front of an open fire, we were taken into a lovely dining room, again with amazing views and treated to the most delicious food imaginable. Each course was so tasty you did not want it to end...savouring every last morsel. I would not hesitate a moment to return to this delightful place and will be bringing a change of shoes the next time to take advantage of the huge gardens. Well done Cliveden and thank you for making my partner's birthday one to remember.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
It is certainly a pleasure to read that you had such an enjoyable Birthday lunch and thank you for taking the time to review us on line. Of all the lovely comments I really enjoyed hearing how the team were warm and welcoming. We have a wonderful crew and I really feel they make a big difference. Good to hear the food was very much to your taste too, Chef André joins me in wishing you a belated happy birthday and we hope to welcome you back again soon. Kind regards Sue W
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 13 February 2014

The first time I visited Cliveden was in the 1990s, and I find myself staying or dining at the location every year or two, and with frequent ownership/management changes and National Trust funding issues I have always found the house lacking in much needed refurbishment (external and internal) and the staff's quality has had its ups and downs. Now that there is a new owner, a new executive chef, and a member of Relais and Chateaux group, I looked forward to coming back, hoping to showcase the property to friends as well. Glad I wasn't disappointed. We were greeted at Gatwick on a rainy day, and when we arrived at Cliveden we were greeted very enthusiastically by the front house staff and escorted to the 2 most recently renovated rooms in the properties, which I must say is very well done, even without the view of the fountain or the parterre. As the rooms are rather far away from the great hall, the hike for the enthusiastic front office staff that brought us to the rooms just to bring us all the suitcases was truly a work-out. We had lunch at the Club (great fish and chips), and the obligatory walk around the property down to the Thames was invigorating. I am glad to see the external walls of the hotel are finally getting finished and the back grand staircase is now in the process of getting refurbished. I am also glad to see that the East Wing is now being renovated. During our visit that were multiple conferences going on and a wedding showcase which made the house rather crowded. Dinner at the former Terrace Dining Room (after a much needed renovation) is a must. Food is great, wine selection superb and gone is the old stuffiness and in come a breath of fresh air. The drawing room and library is left untouched but I love the combination of old and new right next to one another. Breakfast is also plentiful. We went to the spa and loved the outdoor hot tub and indoor swimming pool. The trainer asked us whether we would be enjoying the gym during our stay and we all laughed and said no. Overall, a perfect stay. I couldn't find a single fault with the service during our stay. Next time, I will check and see whether there are conferences going on before booking my stay, just to have fewer people around. I hope this place will only get better and better from here onward.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Enjoys_Relaxing
Sue W, General Manager at Cliveden House, responded to this review, 14 February 2014
I fully share your sentiment and whilst I and our strategic team are at the helm, coupled with our owners who care very much about the house we all aim to do just that, to take Cliveden House from strength to strength. Cliveden is a remarkable property and we have now gathered a fantastic team so we have lots of great elements to take us forward. That coupled with all the physical enhancements that are planned we are all set for a bright future. Thank you for all your kind words and we hope to welcome you back next year if not sooner if your diary allows. Kind regards Sue W
Thruxton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2014

My wife has been "asking" me to take her to Cliveden for years and I finally gave way and we had a birthday dinner and stayed the night. it was every bit as good as we had expected. When we arrived the room was not ready, for perfectly good reasons, and we were treated to a glass of champagne and then upgraded to a splendid suite; what luxury.
Cliveden is not glossy or bright shiny new and all the better for that-what counts in a good hotel is first class service, clean comfortable bedrooms and good food all of which were provided.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
I am so pleased that your long awaitied visit to us hit he mark. When anticipation is riding high so is the challenge to get every element of your stay exactly right, so I am glad your wife's Birthday treat was a success. Thank you for choosing us for this special occasion and for taking the time to post your review. Very best wishes Sue W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taplow
Stoke Park Country Club, Spa and Hotel
Taplow House Hotel
Taplow House Hotel
#2 of 2 in Taplow
Coworth Park - Dorchester Collection

Been to Cliveden House? Share your experiences!