“Amazing place”
Review of Cliveden House

Cliveden House
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Taplow
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Absolutely beautiful building and setting, the decor was just lovely and we had a cute corner table with a little sofa. The staff are very friendly and helpful. I defintely reccommend the signature cocktail Cliveden 69 I think it was called, really nice and loved the gold leaf! We did the tasting menu which was a great experience, some of the dishes weren't quite to our taste but great none the less and with ingredients you dont often try. Also loved my birthday cupcake :)

1  Thank JennyB5683
Sue W, General Manager at Cliveden House, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

Just a brief note to thank you for taking the time to send in your review. I am so pleased you enjoyed the house and the service from the team. Our unique house cocktail the "Cliveden 66"
will hopefully entice you back one day as it is delicious and really hits the spot. Kind regards Sue

Reviewed 17 March 2014

I last visited Cliveden for a business dinner over 35 years ago and when the opportunity to return & stay with my wife, Lynne, presented itself I grabbed it with both hands.
We were not disappointed one little bit. It was everything we expected and more. The service, the attention to detail, the room, the meals were of the highest order. The Club Room service in particular was exceptional, the young man was on top of his game and ensured that our every foible was attended too, well done.
We will be back and it will be sooner than 35 years.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paul B

"Dr Dr write me a prescription for an overnight stay at Cliveden House", what a wonderful thought,
that a little of the Cliveden magic could cure a few ails. We will hold onto that thought and I hope you will remember your stay with us for a time to come and that when you need a little injection of R&R that you think of us. Thank you for your review, Kind regards Sue W

Reviewed 16 March 2014

My husband and I stayed here for his birthday the night before last. From the moment we arrived Lydia and Rupert looked after us beautifully. The staff could not have been more welcoming and charming. The room was amazing, with a wonderful view and incredibly comfortable bed. For breakfast I had the best eggs benedict I've ever eaten my life! Tomasz gave us a fantastic tour of the hotel, explaining lots of the history which was fascinating. George looked after us brilliantly in the restaurant and the whole experience was utterly amazing. A BIG thank you to Andrew Stembridge and his team.

Thank you so much!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

I especially enjoyed reading your review as it is lovely when guests take a moment to gather the names of the team that look after them. As the manager I do not always catch my team doing things right so they do not get the thanks they deserve but they will on this occasion, thanks to you. We hope you will be back to more Eggs Benedict one day soon. Kind regards Sue

Reviewed 15 March 2014

We stayed in the Prince Albert Room on Monday 10th

I've had the opportunity to stay at Cliveden only once, however it was my second visit, the drive to the main house was absolutely stunning. On entering the staff were friendly and helpful. We had lunch in the restaurant and dined from the market menu, and the food and service could not be faulted. The decor in the restaurant is warm, comfortable and well thought out, and even though it's fairly new it still reflects the quality of the old house.

Our room was delightful, with enough room in the bathroom to sleep let alone bath, shower and shave. The bed was enormous, comfortable and it was very easy to get lost! The room was well laid out with a built in wardrobe in the entrance and a living area that we enjoyed two room service meals and a film in.

The breakfast was superb. It's amazing how much you think that you can consume when faced with a list that size to choose from, so think wisely!

The spa was beautiful, the first time I've swam outside at night in the UK and I'd do it again. The hot tubs were superb and with the clock tower lit up in front of the spa, you couldn't deny it was gorgeous. The sauna was hot! I don't know why I put myself through it but when there's one there I have to check I still don't like it. In this case I checked twice. You know, just to be sure.

If I had to make one criticism it's that we had to leave. But jobs and home awaits, so we had to step back into reality and do the beautiful driveway in reverse heading towards the huge fountain at the end of the drive.

Thank you to all of the team at Cliveden. We will definitely be coming back. (Sorry)

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Oh we like threats like that! Great to know you will be back. Sorry you had to leave but hopefully we left you wanting more. As you say there is an outside world that must be returned to but hopefully you will be happy in the knowledge that we are there to escape to when ever you need us. We very much look forward to welcoming you back. Kind regards Sue W

Reviewed 14 March 2014

Our stay was to celebrate my Birthday.The house is splendid,full of character and interesting history.The staff made us feel very welcome and at all levels were polite,helpful and attentive.The room had a four poster bed which was the most comfortable we have ever had! It had a tray of welcome delicious fruit and Chocolates and was spotlessly clean.The restaurant under the direction of Andre Garret served delicious food and was served by charming staff.The grounds are beautiful and well worth exploring. We hope to return as soon as possible,and wish to thank all the staff for making our stay so special.

Room Tip: We stayed in Asquith which was huge and spotlessly clean.It overlooks the long sweeping drive and th...
1  Thank JILLYFLOWER121

Just to add to the interesting history that you learnt about the house I can tell you that your room was the bedroom of the current Bill Astor, he lived here until the age of 17. I have been lucky enough to have a couple of conversations with him and he told me this snippet personally. Thank you for taking the time to post a review and I am really happy to know that you left us having had a wonderful stay. I hope the memories remain with you for a long time and that we can tempt you back soon. Kind regards Sue W

Reviewed 12 March 2014

Amazing experience. Staff couldn't have been more helpful, and so well organised too. Terrific selection of teas, cakes sandwiches etc..... All beautifully presented. The table we sat was overlooking these lovely grounds, and as the sun was shining, well that was a bonus too. Will definitely visit this place again.

1  Thank Lyn T

Great to know you will be back and that your experience was spot on. It is always the staff that make it special and I am really glad you find it so this time....... until the next time. Kind regards Sue

Reviewed 11 March 2014

I can't understand why we have never been here as we live not far away. The whole experience was 5 star, from entering the hotel to putting on our coats to leave. We had the "The Menu". Excellent. Small mix up with our starters -- they served up the wrong one from the "Market Menu". We were enjoying it so much, that we did not let them swap it... so we were served an extra (our original) starter to share ;). Both were great. Main course of venison for me & eeek cant remember what my wife had - anyway, everything was top notch. Service was 5 star. Will we go again? betchya life on it. One small point... you will get hit with £6 each entrance fee, unless you are members of National Trust.

Room Tip: Ask for a window table. Great views over the Thames valley.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RichardHazlemere

It is often the way when a place is on your door step that you do not go but I am glad that you have changed all that and you have now visited. I am delighted that you really enjoyed your lunch and I hope you will have another opportunity to return soon. As near neighbours you can always pop in to borrow that cup of sugar.... any time. Thank you for your review,
Sue W

Also consider these accommodations in or near Taplow
Stoke Park Country Club, Spa and Hotel
#2 of 19 in Windsor
Hartwell House
Hartwell House
#1 of 1 in Hartwell

Been to Cliveden House? Share your experiences!