“Lady Astor would not have been amused” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cliveden House

Cliveden House
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Taplow
London, England, United Kingdom
“Lady Astor would not have been amused”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

My wife & I stayed at the house for a weekend this April. What a beautiful house, what a setting. Firstly, I must say that the staff couldnt be more pleasant, friendly and helpful. Excellent. The room was beautiful. The spa, very pleasant. My favourite part of staying in country house hotels is the Breakfast. Usually a fabulous buffet. Well, frankly I didnt expect a breakfast that would have embarassed a Holiday Inn Express. The "buffet" had a few pieces of cheese, a couple of mediocre yoghurts (a good amount of smoked salmon :) ). The breakfast room had 2 tables occupied plus ours. Eventually the waiter came over and enquired as to what we wish to drink and eat. My wife asked for a skinny capuccino and I asked for an expresso. I requested scrambled eggs, loose and without milk in them. 10 minutes later the table near us received their scrambled eggs and the gentleman from Berlin complained very politely that he didnt recognise what was on his plate as he had never seen scrambled eggs like these. A very attentive Hungarian senior dining room staff member looked at it and agreed with him and promised to get new eggs for him. On hearing this, I asked her to look into my egg situation as I had also ordered scrambled eggs. She went off to deal with our requests, returning shortly after saying that there was NO PROBLEM withmy eggs as I wasnt getting any due to the waiter not understanding what I wanted (his command of the English language did not stretch to eggs and the various ways they can be prepared), so he hadnt placed the order. Finally I received my scrambled eggs......well I was told that it was scrambled eggs :((

If anyone at Cliveden reads this, please get your breakfast in line with the rest of your superb establishment so that Lady Astor doesnt have to turn in her grave.

Room Tip: I presume that all the rooms are excellent. We didnt have one of the most expensive ones, yet is was...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Peter R
Sue W, General Manager at Cliveden House, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
My apologies for failing to hit the mark with your breakfast. We aim to hit the mark 100% of the time and have let you & ourselves down on this occasion. We will be sure to use your feedback in a most constructive way and seek to achieve quality consistently in this area.
Thank you for your kind comments about all other elements of your stay. Kind regards Sue W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
Berkshire, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

My husband and I visited for lunch on the Bank holiday Monday and it was a truly special, memorable experience. The drive up to the grand house in itself was an experience, from there we were very well looked after by the staff, with gin & tonics in the bar / library overlooking the gardens, to an amazing 3 course lunch which both looked and tasted fantastic, the highlight for me being the gnocchi with pea consume starter, while my husband had a lovely souffle dessert. We had the market menu which was good value, although after drinks and service, National trust charge is included etc it still ends up pricey - lunch for 2 ended up at around £145 with 2 drinks each), despite the menu price being £28 each. It was also a long lunch - we were there for 3 hours but we were fine with that and in no rush. The experience was worth the money and we will definitely return for a special occasion. The house and surroundings are beautiful, we had a table for 2 in the window to take it all in. We are coming back to visit the spa in August as it looked lovely, especially with the outdoor pool and hot tubs.

Sue W, General Manager at Cliveden House, responded to this review, 11 May 2014
Ah lunch this time, Spa in August so when can we hope to welcome you for dinner....... so many reasons to return :) Thank you for your lovely review and taking the time to share you comments.
We look forward to seeing you soon. Kind regards Sue W
London England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

This was an early birthday present for my husband. Why early because both this year and last the hotel is fully booked. I tried to get a special offer but wasn't able to because of the restrictions of dates we had available. So booked directly with the hotel, which wasn't too much more than the special price.

So we arrived early to make the most of our stay. The concierge fellas were very sweet and entertaining, and they gave us a quick tour of the hotel, taking in the Profumo Affair, which I wanted to replicate! However I reckon the National Trust tour must be quite good too.......... But wasn't sure of timings etc, so couldn't be bothered. We had been here before, just to visit the grounds really, so we wanted to go out and see some more. We were lucky as the Chapel was open, and that really is beautiful. The river is a long walk down, but well worth it, we were unlucky with the weather on the second day, but still fab. However to take photos looking up at the hotel from the gardens, was not very pleasant as they were doing work there. It wasn't noisy but you don't really want that in your picture. Think they should tell you before you arrive, Ok I'm not Christine Keeler but so what!

The Hotel is very lovely, the entrance large and dark, with massive tapestries on the wall, all in keeping with the surrounds and history of the place, and many lovely paintings all over the place. A lovely library which we went to and saw some really old books, even older than us!

The room we were given was an upgrade to Gibson, with our name hand written on the door label. Not sure who Gibson was? A really fab room with a 4 poster bed, overlooking the long drive to the Fountain of Love, which is an amazing sight. No kettle in the room though, 5 star 1 star I find that a pain, because yes the staff are amazing etc, I don't like it that they're in your face all the time, it can be OTT............ but I must state they were all very very nice. Think it's just me If I want to go out for a smoke, I don't want everyone to follow me and fuss!!!!!!!!!!

My husband loved it there, and I booked him a massage, which he loved. I swam in the outdoor pool,( with my costume on) which I do anyway at least 4 times a week, a really old beautiful pool in a nice setting. Just below the clock tower that strikes every half hour during the day. I think the spa could do with a bit of modernisation and you needed an ology to work the showers.

We ate in the Club house, as we felt the main restaurant was too restricting for our dietry requirements, which is no meat, but fish and vegetarian. The Club house is lovely, and consists of alcoves, and the waiter was fab. I think they will adapt to your tastes, but I still think it a strange menu. We eat out a lot, so I think I know what I'm talking about, and I do cook a lot too.

Breakfast is in a pleasant bright room, we didn't get first row overlooking the garden, but hey it was nice. Continental included in the price, I had to ask for croissants though, and the cheese was right next to the meat, off putting for me, and no labels on the juices. It was OK but not stunning.

Cliveden is a very lovely place, in a great location, definitely worth a visit. We received also a hand written note welcoming us, and when they realised it was an early birthday present for my man, a cake was sent to the room. They also put a kettle in the room, a little too late, when they realised I wanted a hot water and lemon first thing. I deal a lot with hotels, having been in that specialist area for many years, so I have stayed in luxurious hotels before, and it annoys me, that 5 stars think you want to always summon someone to bring you stuff all the time, and yes most lower standard hotels have basic coffee making facilities in the room,........... It's a small detail, but important to me, maybe my fault I didn't think about it until I went to bed. The bed was lovely, and the place romantic. Make a visit and you'll love it.

Sue W, General Manager at Cliveden House, responded to this review, 11 May 2014
My goodness thank you for such a detailed review. I hope you felt you had replicated the Profumo affair by the time you left. Cliveden House was built for the love of a lady so it seems only right that romance remains in the air 350 years later. Gibson - I can tell you was the husband of Nancy's Older sister (Irene Langhorn - who became Mrs Dena Gibson) he was a very famous American artist and Irene was declared to be the most beautiful woman in America. She was refered to as the "Gibson Girl". Thank you again for your review and we very much hope to welcome you back on day. Kind regards Sue W
Paris
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

An impressive venue for a family reunion and an outstanding experience - we were made very welcome in this noble family home. The market menu was excellent, as was the service: courteous, efficient and unobtrusive. I look forward to returning.

Stayed January 2014
1 Thank cal88
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

We booked for our anniversary which ended up occurring over Easter. We had been there several times for an evening meal but decided to splurge for the anniversary. When we arrived there were hoards of people over the national trust grounds however that in no way diminished our experience. We arrived and found out we had been upgraded to a beautiful room overlooking the grounds of the hotel. The room was amazing, elegant and huge. Big bath located in the dressing room and shower room with two sinks. Supper which was the tasting menu was in the Andre Garrett restaurant. A three hour affair just about but the staff was fantastic, we even were able to order a Canadian wine which doesn't happen that often in a London restaurant (and it was great). The continental breakfast in the morning was ok but didn't blow my socks off but the service was great as well as the view overlooking the gardens. I had a massage in the spay that was so relaxing! We had the afternoon tea the next day which was the best I have had, the scones were amazing. Was an amazing place and would highly recommend it.

2 Thank AneleW
Warwickshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

Visited Cliveden for an overnight stay, first class service from moment we arrived, staff really seem to care and were extremely helpful,attentive and friendly. Stayed in Chaplin room, name on door and personal handwritten note wishing us a pleasant stay plus fresh fruit,water and biscuits,all made us feel very welcome.
Excellent value lunch if weather is nice ask to eat on first floor outside terrace view is sublime.
Restaurant pricey but again stunning setting,really comfortable and food was faultless.
Setting of hotel means you can access al the beautiful gardens and lovely woodland walks down to Thames.
Spa ok in need of upgrade,pool nice but sauna and steam rooms in changing areas so could not enjoy these with my husband .
Overall excellent ,we will return .

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed for our anniversary it was the most amazing stay !
We stayed in a queen classic room well appointed although would have love tea and coffee facilities ( £10 service charge when ordered it to the room) was worth it though!

We used the spa facilities spoilt with the weather we used the out door pool and hot tubs it was so beautiful. I had a facial in the spa which was very relaxing staff friendly and helpful.

We ate I the Andre garret service very attentive, interesting and well informed staff and sommelier. The food lived up to the views and decor of the room stunning.

The continental breakfast was ample lots of selection, although on our next stay will be sampling the porridge with caramelised banana.
I would thoroughly recommend and can't wait to stay again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taplow
Stoke Park Country Club, Spa and Hotel
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,121 reviews
Taplow House Hotel
Taplow House Hotel
#2 of 2 in Taplow

Been to Cliveden House? Share your experiences!