“An unexpected pleasure.”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Taplow
Steyning, United Kingdom
“An unexpected pleasure.”
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

Unexpected as we had booked into a hotel a few miles down the road who sadly let us down at the last minute. We were stuck between driving all the way home or seeing if we could arrange a last minute booking, with the added issue of a dog to accommodate. Cliveden couldn't have been more helpful.
Within an hour of phoning we arrived to a lovely welcome for us and the dog. We asked for a ground floor room and to our surprise had been upgraded to a junior suite which was located brilliantly for the dog with easy access outside. Dog bowls, a bed, torch and dog lead had all thoughtfully been provided. It was perfect!
We also discovered we could eat in the Club House with our four legged friend, as it was such a nice evening we chose to stay outside. The World Cup Final was playing and we were kept up to date by the friendly staff.
The setting is stunning, great walks round the woods and excellent staff in the House. Sadly we only managed the one night, but we will return , there is the Spa to be tested!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Sue W, General Manager at Cliveden House, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Always a happy out come for us if we can exceed expectations, and I was delighted to read that we managed that for you. Dogs are welcome friends at Cliveden and we can certainly help with a few ground floor room and all the necessary bits and bobs. Year round the Estate is just magical and we hope you will be back to explore more of it soon, Kind regards Sue W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 12 July 2014

This is a great hotel. They upgraded us to a suite so we already appreciated the Hotel. We had tea and Dinner at the hotel and they also arranged for a car and driver to take us into the West End of London. In every way they did a great job.
The grounds are magnificent and you can rent one of their charming boats to explore a charming stretch of the Thames.
The Hotel is about half an hour from Heathrow and yet very quiet. It exceeded our expectations. It would make a great place for a destination wedding.

Room Tip: We were upgraded to the Stanford Suite which was really outstanding
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ronald s
The boats are getting lots of mentions at the moment and I can see why, I was lucky enough to go aboard this week myself and our particular stretch of the river is just so beautiful. So many lovely sights along the river bank, apparently it was also the inspiration for "Wind in the willows". and Cliveden House was the original "Toad Hall" not sure if this is true but a lovely notion all the same. Thank you for your lovely review. Kind regards Sue W
Milton Keynes, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I've had the good fortune to go to Cliveden before, but had never stayed. My anticipation level was high as the house and the afternoon tea I'd had before were both lovely. So imagine my sheer joy that my stay was above and beyond what I had hoped for. The hotel is historic and beautiful. We had a river cruise on a sunny Sunday evening in the capable hands of our skipper, Bob, who knew everything about the estate and the river. This was followed by a spectacular visit to their newly refurbished dining room and a taster menu that was second to none. We had the wine flight with it and that was great. Wines that I would never have chosen in a million years, all carefully explained by their enthusiastic Sommelier. He even found the time to give us a lesson on the multitude of wine glasses that are available and their effect on the wines - fabulous. My room was large, and so comfortable that the staff had to tear me out of there by my fingernails the next morning. A quick trip to the spa and a sit in the sun around that "oh so famous" swiming pool and our trip was over all too quickly

I can't wait to go back

Thanks Cliveden - see you again very soon I hope

Room Tip: I had the Orkney room and it was lovely
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Ah well yes, the Orkney suite is a bit special. Recently refurbished with some subtle colours and the most comfortable bed. I can see why you might have been reluctant to leave, hopefully though your stay will be in your mind for a while to come and perhaps a repeat stay might go on your Christmas list ;) Thank you for your lovely review & we look forward to going over and beyond for you on another occasion. Kind regards Sue W
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We visited Cliveden House for 2 nights to celebrate a very special birthday for my partner and what a delightful treat it was! As soon as we drove down the grand driveway towards the opulent manor house we knew that we were in for a special stay. Cliveden House is surrounded by 376 acres and amazing gardens which are wonderful to explore by foot. Make sure you pack the camera. We stayed in the opulent Lady Astor Suite which is stunningly appointed and both felt like royalty- well worth the money. The views from the suite and of the large adjacent private terrace incorporated well manicured gardens and the River Thames. We enjoyed our meals in the restaurant and a martini or two next to the fire place. On our last day at Cliveden we booked a half day vintage launch trip on Suzy Ann up the River Thames which was memorable.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review and I am especially delighted that you enjoyed your visit after your long journey to us. The Lady Astor Suite is the largest suite with a great terrace and the best of views so there is much to be enjoyed from a couple of indulgent nights there. I am glad this was the case for you. Best wishes Sue W
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2014

From start to finish Cliveden House oozes opulence on the grandest scale. Your first impression is a breathtaking drive down the from the Fountains to the greeted by a stunning manor house reminding you of Downtown Abbey. The Staff were exceptionally helpful and welcoming and ensured we knew where everything was at the hotel on our stay. We were staying on the top floor and had a great view over the front of the hotel down to the fountains.

There are amazing terraces overlooking the National Trust Park and gardens which offer incredible views over the countryside and must be explored if the sun is out! There are nice little boat trips as well only a 5 minute walk away on the Thames!

If this wasn't enough we were lucky enough to enjoy the outdoor pool and spa area which reminds you of being in Tuscany or the South of France and offers a range of spa treatments and plenty of space for all guests.

All round excellence and can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Ask for the TA Lawrence Room
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sara B
"Cliveden House oozes opulence", well there is the "OO" we just need the 7 and we would be fit for a James Bond movie set. Seriously though thank you for your lovely review. It is great to hear of our guests really engaging with the whole experience and enjoying all elements. We really hope you will be back and we will aim to have TE Lawrence room ready for you once again. The view is pretty special from up there. Kind regards Sue W
London
Reviewed 8 July 2014

What a fantastic place this is!! Set in beautiful grounds, this is steeped in history. The hotel is excellent with the staff being extremely courteous and helpful. Wonderful rooms and the menu is outstanding.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank gladders G
Your kind review is very much appreciated thank you.
So pleased you enjoyed the surroundings and the teams attentions.
We hope to be able to welcome you back on day. Kind regards Sue W
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I was beyond excitement at my forthcoming stay at Cliveden but my experience was mixed.... Firstly the Check In and Check Out process is beyond acceptability....I was glad I was not in a hurry or had a flight to catch....extremely chaotic, frustratingly slow and a lack of dynamism from the very inexperienced staff...all foreign who appeared to be grappling to get to grips with the process... I decided to have lunch in The Stables as I was interested in becoming a member....service was slow and I did not appreciate being made to look like a spare part for 15 minutes to be acknowledged...despite the fact I had indeed made a reservation.. Food was okay... and the visit to the ladies toilets nearly made me throw up due to the stench and lack of ventilation! Thereafter I visited THAT pool and was taken back to the dizzy 60's and all that was Christine Keeler - a real wow moment! The Orkney Suite I was allocated was fantastic but it would have been appropriate for the hotel staff to have advised me of this and the additional surcharge...instead I found out on check out! I also wanted to view Rose Cottage as I wish to book this in the New Year for my parents who live in Scotland......what a carry on!! Extremely messed about during my stay and at check out! I have written a review about the Andre Garrett restaurant...so say no more...not good! If Cliveden is to aspire to Downton Abbey, as indicated by the current brother owners, it really needs to take a sharp intake of breath and rise to the history Cliveden deserves....

Room Tip: The Orkney Suite was beautiful.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank Susanne K
Sue W, General Manager at Cliveden House, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Not so good, what a disappointment to receive your review, I am sorry that you left us having had a less than favourable experience. I am unable to trace what exactly your check in looked like so I am sorry that you thought this was less than smooth. I know you arrived before lunch for a 3pm check in so perhaps this added to the confusion. I know the team always endeavour to get our early arriving guests into their rooms at the earliest opportunity but knowing that the previous guests had not long left then this would have hindered their endeavours. All of us at the hotel have read your review and are trying to piece together you experience of approx a month ago. We had a record on your booking about the Eupgrade scenario so are perplexed why you would not have been aware to the extra charge to upgrade into one of our best suites, we never aim to surprise our guests with the tariff. All in all the bottom line is that we failed to make your much anticipated experience enjoyable for which I sincerely apologise. Please do try us again one day as I firmly believe your experience was the exception and not the norm.
Yours sincerely Sue W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taplow
Stoke Park Country Club, Spa and Hotel
The Oakley Court
#2 of 17 in Windsor
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,198 reviews
Macdonald Compleat Angler

Been to Cliveden House? Share your experiences!