1,405 results
All reviews national trust afternoon tea andre garrett outdoor pool astor grill chewton glen downton abbey french dining visited cliveden main hall tasting menu steeped in history spring cottage special occasion stately home formal gardens lady astor suite
Reviewed 1 week ago

We stayed here for my wife's birthday at the weekend and the staff, hotel, rooms, spa and grounds were all excellent, however there are serious issues in the kitchen, specifically with the "fine dining".

Previous Head Chef Andre Garrett left for the Corintha very recently and its seems that things have really plummeted as a direct result - almost everything was served semi warm (aside of the frozen butter) and the quality of the food would be have been disappointing in a run of the mill pub, let alone a supposed 3 AA rosette establishment. The ceviche was one of the most awful dishes I have tasted in years and even the cooked breakfast the next morning was served cold!

To be fair, the issues I raised were addressed by the Restaurant Manager at the time, however ultimately we weren't looking for money off, I would have much rather just had a nice meal, to mark our celebration.

I'm sure that they will get things back on track in due course as/when the new team get up to speed, but for the next few weeks, I would avoid the fine dining and go to the grill instead, which other guests said was excellent.

Date of stay: February 2019
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ben M
KevinBCLV, General Manager at Cliveden House, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Dear Ben M,
Thank you for your review although sorry to learn of your disappointments. Please rest assured our Kitchen team is very much building on the success of the last 5 years and will continue to go from strength to strength. I will certainly look into the issues you cite and can assure you they are not representative of normal standards. I do hope we can welcome you back for a different restaurant experience although I'm delighted you enjoyed the hotel.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

I visited Cliveden House today with a view to book several rooms for the night before my daughters wedding in the summer. After skating over the unsalted and very icy car park we were unwelcomed by a member of staff who asked if we had a lunch reservation. When I responded No he practically barred us from entering the hotel advising it was not open to non residents. I advised him the reason for my visit but he wouldn’t even show me to where I could enquire about booking rooms. Regretfully I will be booking elsewhere. Very poor customer service.

1  Thank clarejones12341

Dear clarejones12341,
Thank you for your review and very sorry to hear you were not welcomed in our normal manner. Everyone coming to Cliveden should feel like a guest in our home, and please do not hesitate to contact me directly about booking some rooms.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

I have been in many Relais Chateux in my life but this is not up to standard. It is a faboulous hotel but the staff seems tired and stressed. We came here and decided to spend a relaxing weekend in a calm and nice place away from our hectic life in London. We found an over crowded hotel, no tables available for breakfast. Breakfast buffet had ‘unwashed fruit’, some croissants that have been clearly drefrozen the night before, no homemade cakes or any sort of appealing cake as you would get in any relais chateaux hotel. When you decide to go to a Relas Chateaux it is because you want to be cuddled and spoilt... Cliveden is definitely not one of them. Extras were super expensive, the guest lounge bar had dirty tables, etc I could continue describing the things that didn’t go well but I don’t want to. We won’t go back for sure !

3  Thank paolan58

Dear paolan58,
I'm very sorry to read your review and please rest assured this is not indicative of our normal standards. We were certainly busy this last weekend but that should not adversely affect your experience. I hope we can welcome you back and give you a real Cliveden experience.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Took our son for 21st Birthday Dinner and overall experience was superb. From the moment we approached the front door all staff were friendly and attentive. Food in the Dining Room was excellent, and again staff were knowledgeable and attentive. For a special occasion cannot recommend enough.

Dear Gary1901,
Thank you for your review and delighted you enjoyed your experience with us, especially the service you received from our team.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Arrival, check in, room all first class, however we then wanted a cup of tea, there were no tea making facilities only room service at £6.00 per cup plus £10 delivery !
Decided to go to residents lounge, ordered 1 Earl Grey and 1 English Breakfast we were served with 2 Earl Grey these were subsequently charged at £6.00 each, bit much to be charged for a cup of tea when paying £850 per night.
We went down to the main restaurant for diner, starters were fine, ordered grilled Dover Sole for one main which arrived overcooked, sent back, second time not much better but didn't want to stay in restaurant all night so made no further complaint. We were subsequently given two extra glasses of wine to compensate.
Breakfast is served until 10.30am so arrived at 10.10, sent to buffet in next room for juice, toast etc ordered cooked breakfast at the table. This arrived at about 10.25, one was the Lord Astor option of egg, sausage, bacon, mushroom and tomato all of which was not freshly cooked. We were then advised that the buffet room was closing at 10.30 so if we wanted anything else we better go and get it now !
When we checked out we were given a invoice with £332 + of extras over and above the DB&B rate of £850, when questioning this we were advised that we had been charged for two Dover Soles at £55 each, as there was a supplement for this dish !
We explained the sequence of events and the invoice was reduced accordingly.
This is a stunning location but the whole experience did not match the 5 star rating and cost.
Sadly we will not be returning.

Date of stay: January 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank akbarre

Dear akbarre,
Delighted to hear you enjoyed the arrival and check in however very sorry that you were disappointed with your meal experience. The Dover Sole is one of our most popular dishes and I can assure you that every breakfast dish is freshly cooked. I'm glad the billing issues were addressed and promptly rectified and we certainly remain committed to every single guest experience at Cliveden.