1,405 results
All reviews national trust afternoon tea andre garrett outdoor pool astor grill chewton glen downton abbey french dining visited cliveden main hall tasting menu steeped in history spring cottage special occasion stately home formal gardens lady astor suite
Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

An absolutely fantastic experience for our Wedding Anniversary lunch. The service was impeccable from start to finish and the food was delicious, cooked to perfection. The winning factor for us was being allowed to dine with our beloved Labrador. She was fussed over just as much as we were and nothing was too much trouble. She can’t wait to try the chicken and carrot biscuits we couldn’t resist to purchase from there. Thank you so much for making us feel so welcome, hopefully the next trip we will all be able to stay the night too and make the most of this stunning location. Finally a 5* venue which is genuinely dog friendly.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 week ago

We stayed here for my wife's birthday at the weekend and the staff, hotel, rooms, spa and grounds were all excellent, however there are serious issues in the kitchen, specifically with the "fine dining".

Previous Head Chef Andre Garrett left for the Corintha very recently and its seems that things have really plummeted as a direct result - almost everything was served semi warm (aside of the frozen butter) and the quality of the food would be have been disappointing in a run of the mill pub, let alone a supposed 3 AA rosette establishment. The ceviche was one of the most awful dishes I have tasted in years and even the cooked breakfast the next morning was served cold!

To be fair, the issues I raised were addressed by the Restaurant Manager at the time, however ultimately we weren't looking for money off, I would have much rather just had a nice meal, to mark our celebration.

I'm sure that they will get things back on track in due course as/when the new team get up to speed, but for the next few weeks, I would avoid the fine dining and go to the grill instead, which other guests said was excellent.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ben M
KevinBCLV, General Manager at Cliveden House, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Dear Ben M,
Thank you for your review although sorry to learn of your disappointments. Please rest assured our Kitchen team is very much building on the success of the last 5 years and will continue to go from strength to strength. I will certainly look into the issues you cite and can assure you they are not representative of normal standards. I do hope we can welcome you back for a different restaurant experience although I'm delighted you enjoyed the hotel.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

I visited Cliveden House today with a view to book several rooms for the night before my daughters wedding in the summer. After skating over the unsalted and very icy car park we were unwelcomed by a member of staff who asked if we had a lunch reservation. When I responded No he practically barred us from entering the hotel advising it was not open to non residents. I advised him the reason for my visit but he wouldn’t even show me to where I could enquire about booking rooms. Regretfully I will be booking elsewhere. Very poor customer service.

1  Thank clarejones12341

Dear clarejones12341,
Thank you for your review and very sorry to hear you were not welcomed in our normal manner. Everyone coming to Cliveden should feel like a guest in our home, and please do not hesitate to contact me directly about booking some rooms.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

I have been in many Relais Chateux in my life but this is not up to standard. It is a faboulous hotel but the staff seems tired and stressed. We came here and decided to spend a relaxing weekend in a calm and nice place away from our hectic life in London. We found an over crowded hotel, no tables available for breakfast. Breakfast buffet had ‘unwashed fruit’, some croissants that have been clearly drefrozen the night before, no homemade cakes or any sort of appealing cake as you would get in any relais chateaux hotel. When you decide to go to a Relas Chateaux it is because you want to be cuddled and spoilt... Cliveden is definitely not one of them. Extras were super expensive, the guest lounge bar had dirty tables, etc I could continue describing the things that didn’t go well but I don’t want to. We won’t go back for sure !

3  Thank paolan58

Dear paolan58,
I'm very sorry to read your review and please rest assured this is not indicative of our normal standards. We were certainly busy this last weekend but that should not adversely affect your experience. I hope we can welcome you back and give you a real Cliveden experience.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Took our son for 21st Birthday Dinner and overall experience was superb. From the moment we approached the front door all staff were friendly and attentive. Food in the Dining Room was excellent, and again staff were knowledgeable and attentive. For a special occasion cannot recommend enough.

Dear Gary1901,
Thank you for your review and delighted you enjoyed your experience with us, especially the service you received from our team.