1,393 results
All reviews national trust afternoon tea andre garrett outdoor pool astor grill chewton glen downton abbey french dining visited cliveden main hall tasting menu steeped in history stately home spring cottage special occasion lady astor suite formal gardens
Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Me and my partner came a couple weeks ago for 2 nights. What a enchanting place.
From the second we walked in to the second we left we were made to feel welcome and special by all the staff. Beautiful hotel full of character. Cant wait to stay again.
Hot tub room was a added bonues to relax in on a cold evening

Date of stay: March 2019
Reviewed 1 week ago

We recently treated ourselves to a 2 night stay at Cliveden House to celebrate my husbands birthday.
We are just ordinary people who like to try different hotels, restaurants & experiences.
Cliveden was our choice as we are local to the Chewton Glen & wanted to see how it compared.
The drive to Cliveden House is pretty spectacular, a bit of a shame though that so many cars park along the dive. I'm guessing as it is National Trust land that Cliveden have no control on this.
We parked our small suv in front of the main entrance & were warmly greeted by Michael, who checked us in & showed us to our room.
The main area of the hotel is more like a museum or a grand old stately home (which I guess is what Cliveden is as well as a hotel) It is much darker in the main area of the hotel & bar than I had anticipated.
Our room for the 2nights was a club hot tub room. A very nice room, but very very small & much smaller than I had imagined. The hot tub & outside patio area though made up for the compact nature of the room. As we were there over a couple of unseasonably warm days we were able to make good use of the hot tub & have breakfast outside on the terrace. Breakfast in a club room without it being warm would not have really been possible as there was nowhere suitable to eat from in room. We had imagined breakfast being bought into the room on an in-room dining trolly table.
We did have tea & coffee facilities in room. I mention this as I noticed comments regarding this on some older reviews.
Whilst there we made use of the bar, both restaurants & spa (see my other reviews). We also spent a glorious day walking around the extensive & beautiful National Trust grounds.
This is a beautiful & traditional "old school" hotel.
You are made to feel very comfortable here. There really are no airs or graces. Pretty much wear what you want around the hotel & smart casual in the dining room.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
KevinBCLV, General Manager at Cliveden House, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Dear places2seeplaces2go,
Thank you for your lovely review and delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. The hot-tub rooms are wonderful in the warmer months when you can make good use of the lovely terraces. I'm happy you enjoyed the service and were comfortable here.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

We had a 2 night stay here recently ,it’s an absolutely stunning house ,we had a lovely stay the staff are really very good ,nothing was too much trouble , wonderful food ,and the spa is excellent .
Our room was lovely ,however we really hate showers over the bath and the water just wouldn’t stay in the wash basin ,so a few niggles an old friend of mine used to travel everywhere with a golf ball and a squash ball to remedy these problems .

Dear HbonB,
Thank you for your note and delighted you enjoyed your experience at Cliveden.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

As National Trust members we had visited Cliveden many times and often wondered past the dining room and said we would eat in the restaurant!

As there was a lovely valentines Saturday lunch menu with a class of pink Moët include so we decided to book. My (slightly) pretentious self loved driving up the drive towards the house (very Megan Markle!) and parking our very dirty Mercedes with the amazing Ferrari’s.

The house is equally as grand inside as it is out, I was surprised at how dark the main entrance room was.

The food was really lovely and the waiting staff were friendly and helpful(there seemed to be many of them!) , however as the restaurant started to fill up the staff were less attentive and it took us a while to get someone’s attention for coffee and the bill.

Dear HannahRoo26,
Delighted you enjoyed your special Valentine's lunch with us and appreciated the House and grounds so much. It certainly is a special place!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

As you drive down the driveway - it’s a wow moment. The house is stunning.

The porter is super friendly and welcoming and then it goes down hill rapidly.

For the money and reputation it should be amazing. I was expecting Claridges in the country. But sadly it’s not.

We had a suite so were expecting big things for the money.

Two room service orders had missing items. The staff that brought the food made us feel a little awkward and were lacking general polish.

I ordered steak which was excellent but my wife’s dishes were bland. The £11 brownie was tasteless and incredibly over priced.

Breakfast in the room was £60, cold and felt a little stale like it has been left around for ages.

We were going to have lunch but decided against it which was a wise idea. There are some lovely places in nearby Marlow.

We wanted to order coffee in the lounge but sat around for 20 minutes. When then tried to move areas to try and attract attention - no one was interested.

Our room key didn’t work and then the replacement never showed up and I had to go reception to pick it up.

The spa was very nice though.

I would imagine they are desperately under staffed and the ones they do have lack the polish of the best hotels (with the exception of the head porter who was a cut above everyone else).

I was over charged on exit just to finish the visit.

Soooo disappointing.

3  Thank Jofanon
FSMacedo, Manager at Cliveden House, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear Jofanon

Thank you for your time on the phone this afternoon and once again my sincerest apologies for the shortfalls you have experienced.

As discussed this is not our normal standards; and certainly not something myself and the entire team team are proud of; nevertheless it has identified certain areas that we need to focus our training on; so I thank you once again for taking the time to do it.

I sincerely look forward to hear from you at your earliest convenience and hopefully welcome you back very soon;

Francisco