“Great looking hotel, nice rooms £89 a night but couple of tiny niggles”
Review of Taplow House Hotel

Taplow House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Taplow
Reviewed 11 August 2012

Almost got a 5 star from me but instead its four (VERY GOOD) What a great looking hotel (inside and out) Grounds well maintained.

Rooms a little bit small but only stayed one night so not critical. Would become an issue if i had to stay longer.

Entry to the hotel and check-in is a bit strange. Its round the back of the hotel. My guess is that they have sold some of the land at the front and so the new way in is round by the back door. Not an elegant way to arrive. And check in is just a desk shoved into a corner. Not really a problem just an observation.

Lots of stairs to this place, no lifts so if you need access its an old house so be prepared to climb up and down stairs to rooms.

Stayed in the Wellington room which as already mentioned is small. Comfy bed and good nights sleep. Bathroom nice and clean in old style decor. Air conditioning welcome addition as its very hot outside. Had it on all night punching for 18 degrees to keep room cool.

Wedding was superb they did a great job. Beers about £5 per pint.

In the morning my newspaper was not delivered to room (a niggle) but taken off bill.

Breakfast: Heated self service which was OK but not stand-out. But did the job. Only niggle is that at 9am the food looked like it had been on the burners a bit too long.

Overall a good one night stay for a wedding and we got everything we wanted but there were things that could be done just a little bit better so this time its not 5star but a 4star.

Room Tip: There ARE big rooms (Honeymoon suite) and I was in the best mans room which was huge but ours was a...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank 365drills

Reviewed 3 August 2012

After reading the reviews I was a little anxious when I booked this for my husband and I to attend the rowing at Eton on the 28th July. As the previous comments from the gentleman who stayed with his girlfriend the service was faultless. I called to confirm my booking the week before and when I advised we were not part of the wedding party that was being held on the 27th the receptionist advised me not to worry. On a arrival the staff were friendly and we were allocated room 20 . The room was spacious and contained all that was required. Once we shut the door the music could no longer be heard from the wedding reception.

We advised we would be leaving before breakfast was served at 8am the following morning this was not a problem. We were advised to fill in the details for room service and it would be delivered at 7.30 as we requested. True to their word breakfast arrived just before 7.30 beautifully presented.

Things continued to get better on leaving to attend the rowing a map was given to us showing a 40 min walk to Eton Dorney along the cycle path which was easy to navigate and most enjoyable. We were even told to leave are car in the car park and collect it on our return, and with no extra charge.

My only complaint is the acoustic to our neighbouring room who were rather noisy when they came to bed as it felt as if they were actually in our room. This was a little bit of a shock at midnight after being blissfully asleep.

Saying that it didn't spoil our stay, I would certainly recommend this elegant house and wish we could also have stayed another night.

Room Tip: If staying while wedding on ask for room furthest from reception.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 July 2012

I've just returned from a top notch stay at the Taplow House Hotel. My girlfriend and I were looking for a base for the Olympic rowing and resented the excessive prices being charged by budget hotels in the area, so decided to pay a little extra for a bit of comfort. Having noticed that the restaurant had two AA rosettes we decided to opt for the dinner bed and breakfast option. All aspects of the stay were great. The food was superb, the hotel staff (particularly our waiter at dinner) were super polite and attentive, and the room was immense - it was large with a super comfy bed, flat screen tv, air conditioning, fantastic views of the grounds and was really tastefully decorated (The Windsor Suite). I've come home wishing I could have had at least a few more nights there.

Any bad reviews on this place beggar belief. These people must have been seriously unlucky with their timing or room allocation, as I couldn't have wished for a nicer place to stay.

Room Tip: The Windsor suite (room 200 I believe) was amazing.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 July 2012 via mobile

Set in lovely ground well kept up, this elegant house of some age is ideal for a couple looking for an lost-worldy reception and/or civil wedding. Food at the breakfast was simple and well cooked and the chocolate brownie was superb. Service was quietly efficient. With a look if you are seeking a place!

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 23 July 2012

We've just returned from a visit to the Taplow House Hotel and I was truly impressed with the level of service we received. Booked in for a family trip to the area for a birthday we stayed on the same night as a wedding. Rather than being made to feel unwelcome or secondary to the events the staff couldn't have made more of an effort for us. We asked if we could have some cake in on arrival the afternoon, unfortunately they had run out so they gave all seven of us cream teas for free. The evening meal was a delicious three course affair and all included in the room rate as was the generous breakfast. The hotel is a 3 minute drive to Cliveden house and 15 mins to Windsor Castle. The room was a little on the small side but clean and comfortable. Definitely worth staying if you're in the area.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 July 2012

We held our wedding reception at Taplow House Hotel in June 2012 and it could not have been a more perfect day, despite the great British summer doing its best to hamper us. The classic, country house ambience of Taplow House is ideal for creating a wedding atmosphere and the food is delicious. But what really made our day, and the whole wedding planning experience, is the friendliness and professionalism of the staff and our wedding coordinator - there is a real focus on service, quality and detail at Taplow House and nothing is too much trouble. We would thoroughly recommend Taplow House Hotel as the perfect wedding venue.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 July 2012

On arriving I remembered I had stayed here many years ago for a wedding!

I had "Room with a view" which is right up on the 3rd floor looking through a window in a wall outside the window (that makes sense when you look from the outside!)

The room was pretty small but well appointed and I was on my own so this was fine. Shower, but no bath.

Didn't eat dinner but breakfast was very nice.

Lady who checked me out was not someone I would put in a customer facing role, and couldn't even find a way of getting me a few minutes of wireless before going in the morning after the free allowance had been used up which was a little "computer says no"..

Other than that, very nice.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taplow
Grovefield House
The Oakley Court
The Oakley Court
#2 of 19 in Windsor
Stoke Park Country Club, Spa and Hotel

Been to Taplow House Hotel? Share your experiences!