“A lovely day enjoyed by all!!”
Review of Taplow House Hotel

Taplow House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Taplow
Wirksworth, United Kingdom
“A lovely day enjoyed by all!!”
Reviewed 8 February 2013 via mobile

Went here for the day for a relatives 80th birthday. The tulip tree room was booked for us for all day, we had a delicious 3 course meal with free tea and coffee (I was nominated driver!!!) Service was good, glasses were topped up promptly for those drinking wine and tea, coffee and water for those of us non drinkers. The only downside was afternoon tea, the person who had arranged the day booked afternoon tea for us and was led to believe it would include a selection of cream cakes and scones, we were served a small slice of dry sponge or fruit cake. The grounds to the hotel looked lovely, unfortunately due to the weather we couldn't take full advantage of them.

• Stayed February 2013
Paul T, General Manager at Taplow House Hotel, responded to this review, 18 February 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit with us.

I was delighted to hear that you had a lovely day with us for a birthday celebration and that you really enjoyed the food and service. We pride ourselves on the high standards of our afternoon tea and I apologise for the dis-appointment you experienced on this occasion. I will personally ensure we take corrective action as it is through our customer's feedback that we can constantly strive to further improve our service delivery.

I hope to welcome you to the hotel again in the near future and that you get the opportunity to take a walk around our lovely grounds.

Kind Regards

Paul

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Polish first
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2013

I had my wedding here on 28th December 2012!

What can i say but amazing! Everything was simply perfect from the staff to the food to the rooms to the decor. Working in a hotel myself i know the things that can go wrong but Taplow have it down to a T. They know what there doing and the whole day ran without a hitch. I coudnt fault a single thing.

Thank you for the perfect wedding day Taplow!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank laura T
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 January 2013

I had my wedding at this hotel on 29th December 2012 - words cannot describe how amazing our day was.

From the very first time we visited the hotel, it felt so warm and welcoming and didn't feel like a hotel at all.

My guests had booked all of the bedrooms so on the day it felt like we had out own amazing stately home to ourselves. Gabrielle and her team worked very hard to ensure everything looked exactly how I wanted it. The wedding breakfast room looked fantastic, all the food was amazing and the dj they supplied was brilliant. A lot of people said it was the best wedding they had been to, including the dj, everyone was dancing and we had the best day of our lives.

Breakfast the next day was lovely.

I cannot wait to go back again

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank lottiejohnson
Holmes Chapel, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 January 2013 via mobile

Have stayed her a few times when on business. The rooms are generally very comfortable with The White Company toiletries. Beds are comfortable and you can select your pillow.i have only eaten in the bar at night and I would describe it as average. Full English breakfast in the morning is a real treat with it being served to you under a silver dome.
Hotel definitely worth staying at if you are visiting the area on business

Stayed January 2013
Farnborough, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 December 2012 via mobile

Stayed overnight for a friends wedding and the guests had apparently taken over the whole hotel barring 1 or 2 rooms. Wedding was superb, service great throughout the evening and room was beautiful with stunning grounds and plenty of parking. The only downside was breakfast the following morning. Most of the items were cold and one of the tureens didn't have a handle which meant you couldn't open it without hurting yourself in the process. There was so much pepper in the scrambled egg it was only good for those who like spicy food which I don't. Cold selection was fine, but there was no spare cutlery out so you had to ask for more if you went up for additional items and they had cleared your previous items. There was so much wrong with this bit, it slightly marred the rest of the stay which was unfortunate. Having said that, I would take a risk that it was a bad day and stay again!

Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jane C
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 20 December 2012

We also stayed the night en route from the Fat Duck. It was a wonderful night although we chose not to have dinner as a result of an extended and very filling lunch. Our room was luxurious - we had dinner and breakfast together with James I suite for a reasonable rate. We will return and spend a few nights next time. The service was as one would expect for such an establishment and is to be applauded.

Room Tip: Worth choosing a suite....
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 December 2012

I stayed here for two nights for some corporate training recently. The service and general impression of the hotel at check-in was of a very traditional English country house hotel - old fashioned and polite. I was looking forward to a warm, luxurious room in an older style - what I had was more of a cupboard in an older style. It was billed as a double room and did indeed contain a double bed. It also contained a desk, which left about a foot of space around the three sides of the bed. The "bathroom" had no window and a shower that I invariably banged parts of my anatomy against as I tried to apply the shower gel. There was no room for my relatively small bag in the "built in wardrobe" and room for about three shirts to hang before things started to get squashed.

Fortunately, I spent very little time in my room - if I had been travelling for leisure and sharing the room, I think I would have been deeply disappointed - even in my solitary situation my heart sank every time I entered the room, simply because it was so incredibly small.

Generally service was good and food was reasonable, but if you are used to being able to walk around unhindered in your room then make sure you know what you are getting in advance.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taplow
Grovefield House
Danesfield House Hotel And Spa
The Oakley Court
The Oakley Court
#2 of 18 in Windsor

Been to Taplow House Hotel? Share your experiences!