Taplow House Hotel
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
Kingswood Hotel(Maidenhead)
View Hotel
All reviewsafternoon teaberry's restaurantwedding breakfasttulip treewedding venuewedding co ordinatorsconesgroupon dealjunior suitelovely groundswhite companycream teabeautiful hotelwedding receptionfour poster bedcountry housewedding guests
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 August 2008

To all the Fathers out there who are fretting about who to place their trust in to look after their greatest gift on her most important day; look no further than Taplow House.

My Daughter had her reception there on Friday 22nd August and Samuel Goss and his team made us feel so welcome. They looked after us superbly and the location is wonderful.

It is a venue for everyone, young and old alike. The dancefloor area downstairs is great but there are quiet corners to just sit and chat. The gardens are lovely and the newly refurbished rooms have everything one could wish for.

Above all, the service is discreet but attentive and nothing was too much trouble which made our day so very special. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2008
1  Thank NickWindsor
Reviewed 25 August 2008

We booked one night in Taplow House a couple of weeks in advance via the hotel's website. The hotel looked great as we approached it - gorgeous grounds and lovely terrace area outside. But as soon as we reached reception, the problems started.

Firstly, we were told that we only had bed & breakfast booked (despite having booked the dinner, bed & breakfast rate). After only convincing the receptionist by providing her with a print out of the confirmation e-mail, she reluctantly booked us a table in the restaurant. We were then given incorrect instructions to our room by the receptionist, whose grasp of the English language was really not up to scratch for someone whose job involves direct customer contact.

The room was small, but obviously very recently decorated. We booked a superior room, but I am convinced that the room we were given was a standard (it was exactly the same as the picture of the standard room on the website and most certainly did not incude a sofa, as the superior room should have done).
The Molten Brown toiletries were nice, but there was only one English Breakfast teabag in the room.

Soon after arriving in the room, we were phoned by the restaurant to say that there were actually no tables left in the restaurant and that we would have to eat our meal in the bar - I did express my annoyance, as when booking a dinner, B&B rate, you do expect that they will reserve a table for you in the restaurant. They insisted that we were not the only ones affected by this and that there were others in the same situation.
Upon arriving in the bar, it was clear that we were definitely the only ones in this situation. The bar tables were not at all suitable for eating dinner from and the chairs were more like armchairs. We were given a menu then left for half an hour before the waitress came to take our order. She then informed us that there had been a cancellation so we could now actually sit in the restaurant.
But then after ordering our food, she returned to say that they had ran out of my partner's choice of main course and my choice of starter (it was only 8pm).
Service continued to be poor (we had to top up our own wine & water, as the staff were not attentive enough to notice that our glasses were empty).

We slept reasonably well, but were awoken at 7am by extremely noisy children in the corridor - they were part of a wedding party and clearly were very excited, but unfortunately were allowed to run down the corridors loudly at this time on a Sunday morning.
Breakfast was average and we were glad to check out.

Overall, this was an extremely disappointing stay - the hotel has the potential to be very good, but the poor service lets it down. We were aware of other guests complaining while we were there, so we were not the only ones with an issue. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone until the staff get their act together.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Jasmine003
Reviewed 19 August 2008

My husband and I booked Taplow house for our wedding in July. Many of our guests travelled from around the country to share in our day and chose to stay at the hotel. The staff at the hotel went out of their way to make us and our guests feel important. The hotel surroundings are beautiful and well worth exploring. The location is perfect for easily accessing Windsor and Eton. The hotel itself is recently refurbished to a high standard. The bedrooms are clean and well decorated. The food is outstanding and although drinks are quite expensive the overall dining is worth every penny. Taplow House hotel is the perfect, secluded hotel for a relaxing weekend break.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank WellyLeeds
Reviewed 21 July 2008

What a gem! I stayed here for one night on business, and got a single room at a special internet price of £77 inc. breakfast. The hotel is lovely, and the grounds are absolutely gorgeous. The front desk service was really welcoming.
My room (no. 7) was gorgeous. Very high quality, deluxe, superior decor. The bedding was such good quality, - thick, crisp white cotton duvet covers and pillows. It was sublime!
The bathroom was also beautiful and luxurious, with Molton brown toiletries and soft, thick whiter than white towels.
I ate in the restaurant - and this must be where they make up for the very reasonable room rates! It is quite expensive. The starters are priced between £9 and £13. The main courses are priced between £23 and £30. A 250ml glass of wine will set you back £8. However the quality of the food was exceptional - you get what you pay for! It was absolutely delicious - and the views over the gardens are so beautiful that you really don't mind paying a little bit more at all.
I regret not going for the full breakfast - the choice was fantastic - and I'm sure it would have been wonderful!
Altogether I paid £120 to stay in absolute luxury, on the outskirts of Slough, and was fed and watered to the highest possible standards! Fabulous! Highly recommended.
I have told all my colleagues about it. I'll definitely be going back. I just wish it wasn't so far away because it would be a lovely place for a romantic getaway.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank VRiding
Reviewed 20 July 2008

I booked the hotel at the start of 2008 as it was situated very close to where we needed to be for a wedding, but I wish I’d had the luxury at the time of having seen the last three trip advisor reviews. The impression I had was that it had been newly refurbished and was very much worth staying at.

On arriving we were immediately very impressed by the entrance, driveway, grounds and hotel exterior. This was then let down by a very tired looking hallway, carpet and general decor once inside. We checked in at a shabby reception desk then had fun hauling our luggage up to the top floor. When paying nearly £200 a night for a suite shouldn’t this service normally be taken care of for you?

The room was nice but the bathroom was in need of some tender loving care. The shower attachment leaked and took ages to stop and give us some peace, plus we had some weary looking frayed towels. The prices in the bar were ludicrous. I bought my girlfriend a double vodka and the cost was roughly what I guess the hotel paid their supplier for the entire bottle!

Arriving at breakfast there was a good choice of fruit juices, cereals, croissants, pain au chocolate, cold meats/cheeses out on the sideboard. After sitting down on one of the uncomfortable chairs I ordered a full English and had a very disappointing experience as the sausage and bacon were hard and had that much butter/fat on them that they gleamed in the light. Maybe they get recycled after breakfast and are used as spare parts for the kitchen machinery. During our stay we ordered sandwiches from room service which had generous amounts of smoked salmon and ham in them but the same thickness of butter/margarine on them. The kitchen really needs to cut down on its heavy use of butter/fats. The second morning I attempted to play it safe by ordering smoked salmon and scrambled egg but the salmon wasn’t smoked and far far too salty. We didn’t risk any lunch or dinner in the hotel and the culinary highlight was an award winning Indian Restaurant in Cookham called Maliks. I hadn’t been there for three years and it was every bit as good as I remember.

Overall, the hotel is missing a lot of the little touches, a more up to date interior finish and seems to be understaffed. It is such a great shame as the building and grounds are wonderful, and there is so much potential for a truly first-class experience. They seem to be missing a trick.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business