“Excellent Stay”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Taplow
Hampshire
“Excellent Stay”
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Lovely hotel, excellent staff and great conference. Rooms lovely and well presented, you could ask for more, great place for business or weekend break. The view across the lawn was great and made you feel you were really out in the country

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dave S, General Manager at Taplow House Hotel, responded to this review, 30 March 2014
Thank you HampshireTraveller3 for you fabulous feedback. Your comments are a delight and have been passed on to all the team. Look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Regards

Dave Seward

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Polish first
Grimsby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 March 2014

my husband and i stayed at taplow house hotel, and found it to be absolutely lovely. a warm and inviting entrance, grand yet cozy bar, beautiful and comfortable bedrooms and to top it off a great breakfast served my friendly and professional staff. we will be back taplow thanks for a great stay.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gina A
Dave S, General Manager at Taplow House Hotel, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and make such lovely comments. I am so pleased that you found our breakfast to be good and with much choice, and that you liked the fire in Berrys Bar, although let’s hope that we won’t need to have it burning for too much longer now! We really do look forward to welcoming you back. Please always check our web page for our latest special offers. Thanks again. Dave and Team
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2014

We went to Taplow house for lunch as a treat for my uncles birthday I can not fault it in any way from the moment we walked in my auntie, uncle and I were made to feel welcome my auntie and I opted to have a main course and dessert we both had the salmon for our main which was delicious and we both agreed it was the best we've had a lovely crispy skin and melted in the mouth & beautifully presented my uncle had three courses again the everything was beautifully presented my uncle was even presented with two cupcakes with candles in for his birthday a lovely gesture and a lovely memory for them to take back home to nz thankyou everyone!!!

• Stayed March 2014
Dave S, General Manager at Taplow House Hotel, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
I am so pleased you enjoyed your birthday celebration with your family. Thank you for taking the time to write this review. It is all about memories, and your Uncle and Aunt will remember us fondly. I have passed your compliments to all of the kitchen team who often get forgotten behind the scenes. Thank you again and I hope to welcome you back in the not too distant future.
Lincolnshire, England
Reviewed 15 March 2014

I stayed at Taplow for 2 nights for a friends wedding in February. Firstly they had booked the entire hotel for the whole weekend exclusively so I expected a certain level of service throughout. I was massively impressed upon arriving and the grounds and hotel looked beautiful.
My first problem was on checking in when the Receptionist struggled to understand that we wanted to pay cash. She was baffled that we didn't have a credit card and told us that if we were to pay by debit card for our room we would have to pay in advance for everything all weekend, it was convoluted and entirely unnecessary when we were happy to pay up front, she actually told us she didn't know if she could even accept cash!!! She then proceeded to embarrass several of the guests, including the mother of the bride by telling them that their cards had been declined for payment when it was not in fact the case. Our room, to its credit was stunning as were the grounds, however on further inspection it was poorly cleaned, very dusty behind the tv for example.

Being charged £18 for a double G&T has to the most expensive drink I have ever seen being ordered and I found it shocking that only did the barman not advise that it was an expensive drink before ordering, much more than I have ever paid anywhere in the world for the same drink but didn't even know to serve Hendricks with cucumber. If you are going to serve drinks at such massively extorted prices then please train your staff to at least know how to serve them the correct way!!! Ordering drinks later at night was also a huge pain as we had been advised that as we had not put down a credit card on check in and a debit card was not acceptable we would have to pay cash for everything on ordering HOWEVER your bar staff then told us that they couldn't take cash or card for our drinks and that we had to put them on our room? Miscommunication, bad policies and disorganisation!!
The reception itself and the food was lovely, it seemed that the staff excelled during functions and the day was lovely. What was annoying was that every time anyone left their rooms our keys all expired, I spent an hour on the morning of the wedding trying to help the bride running between rooms only to find that EVERY TIME I had to return to reception to sort our room keys. It was a huge pain and very frustrating!!

The breakfast buffet on the Sunday morning was a TOTAL shambles. You were fully aware of how many guests you had and yet I sat for 45 minutes waiting for food to be added to see 3 plates of food added when there was in excess of 30 people waiting for food! I had to make do with 1 piece of bread and bacon as everything else was empty or overcooked. There was no staff around and nobody seemed concerned that half of the wedding party was sat with no breakfast because there was no food available!

It was my friends wedding so I did not complain as I would have in any other situation but for almost £250 for 2 nights B&B I honestly feel I would have received better service and breakfast spending a week in a budget hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank LittleMiss_Jet_Set08
Dave S, General Manager at Taplow House Hotel, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post this review. I am very sorry that there appeared to be a few issues and miscommunications during your stay in February. I have only been in the position of General Manager for two weeks, so I cannot fully comment on these issues relating to your visit other than to apologise on behalf of the fabulous team here at Taplow House Hotel. The “Faulty Tower” reference is hurtful and clearly not an accurate reflection of our hotel ( Please note previous reviews)

I am delighted that you found the gardens “impressive” and “beautiful”, and the bedrooms “stunning”, and that the wedding reception and food were both lovely.

Thank you again Little Miss_Jet_Set - please do give us another chance. We all look forward to welcoming you back to Taplow House Hotel
MK
Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed here this week and was exceptionally impressed with the quality and exceptional food choice, especially at breakfast! My room was on the first floor and pretty compact but lovely toiletries (White Company) in the spacious bathroom.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dave S, General Manager at Taplow House Hotel, responded to this review, 15 March 2014
Thank you for your lovely comments. I am delighted you enjoyed the food and especially breakfast. We are launching a new menu very soon in the lounge and bar areas as well as Berry’s restaurant. We're in the business of making wonderful memories for our guests so your comments have pleased us all. Thank you and do come again.
Reviewed 27 February 2014 via mobile

This is a beautiful, quaint hotel; Small in size but big in impact. The rooms are small but comfortable but is the hotel itself , the good and the amazing staff that make it a real Gem. I can imagine this as an amazing romantic weekend retreat, where you can feel like royalty. The only thing that I would change is the concentrated orange juice that spoilt an otherwise wonderful breakfast. However, when that is the only fault you can find then this Hotel must be doing OK.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
DaveSTaplow, General Manager at Taplow House Hotel, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
I am delighted with your lovely comments and in particular that you found my new team “amazing”. A great first review to respond to in my new position as General Manager here at Taplow House Hotel. You are quite right about romantic weekend retreats here. May I suggest that you ensure we have your email address in order to send you details on all special offers available. Thank you for mentioning the poor quality orange juice, this has now been replaced. I am also pleased to let you know that we have a new food and beverage manager who will be sourcing local, fresh ingredients and, together with our talented chefs, will be launching new menus throughout Berry’s Restaurant and Bar very soon.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 February 2014 via mobile

The layout for the conference was good and so was the lunch, however the evening meal let it down. We had all pre ordered but was a bit of a wait for the meals to arrive and my vegetables were cold. The food otherwise was very good and the waiters were very attentive and nothing was too much for them or any of the staff

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Jane R, General Manager at Taplow House Hotel, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Dear Nicki W
Thank you for your feedback, and thank you too for your kind words about our staff. I shall ensure this is passed on to them. I am sorry to read about your dissatisfaction with regards to your evening meal. I would ask that you kindly contact me at the hotel so that I can discuss this with you further and rectify matters.
With best wishes
Jane Renton
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taplow
Grovefield House
Danesfield House Hotel And Spa
The Oakley Court
The Oakley Court
#2 of 17 in Windsor

Been to Taplow House Hotel? Share your experiences!