“SHAME TO HAVE STOPPED 2 MEALS FOR £9.99”

The Old Ferry Boat Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Holywell
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Great food as normal, but what a shame meal deal not on anymore, this was main reason for us boaters for using this pub!as mooring outside good stop off point.
Rice pudding not good, but manageress did refund .
For a bank holiday you could see sales must be down as not as busy as usual.

1  Thank mxnic

Reviewed 13 August 2013

The Ferryboat is the nearest I have to a local as it is the one pub i have spent the most time in. It has changed over the years but never lost it's charm with its low ceilings and olde worlde look. It is also right on the river and in summer can get pretty packed meaning the service can be a bit slow, but as it doesn't pretend to be a fast food outlet it is ok to enjoy a drink and the ambience and wait for it to come, I have never waited more than 30 minutes. We eat there fairly often ordering at the bar and there is a varied menu with various deals that mean it is not too hard on the pocket. It is run by a young enthusiastic staff who are always pleasant and courteous and they have always looked after us very well. It's one problem is it easily missed as the village of Holywell is set behind the village of Needingworth that has been recently bypassed. You have to know where it is but when you find it it's a lovely pub.

1  Thank stingytownman
Reviewed 10 August 2013 via mobile

We went to the Ferryboat last Sunday for an early evening meal as a family. We have been there a few times in the last few months and have always enjoyed the food and the atmosphere. We ordered and had to wait over 40 minutes for our food. This was not great as we had to entertain our 4 year old and 6 month old. I ordered the roast chicken. When it finally arrived, the portion was very good but the quality was disappointing. The roast potatoes were dry, the chicken lacked flavour and was a little dry. The vegetables were tasteless (how do you do that to carrots? ) and the Yorkshire pudding was chewy. I actually asked for more gravy to make it more edible. My 4 year old had the pasta in tomato sauce which was also pretty tasteless. The pasta was very soggy too and I couldn't blame her for not wanting to eat it. My husband had a chicken curry which he did enjoy. We also ordered desserts which were rather slow in arriving as well. I did enjoy the ginger cake cheese cake but they got my daughters desert order wrong. Such a shame as when I was there in May I had a delicious roast and the service was great. Please go back to your old ways.

1  Thank Claire S
Reviewed 9 August 2013

We have visited The Old Ferryboat several times before usually at the weekends, when it has been very busy and the service has been a bit slow but not unduly so. We called in yesterday for lunch and enjoyed a very pleasant lunch served by friendly and efficient staff. We sat inside at a table by the window overlooking the river. My wife chose the aubergine dish with a side order of chips, I had the anti pasti dish with a side order of wedges.Both dishes were delicious and the portions were very generous.All washed down with a pint of shandy for me and a pot tea for my wife. We both agreed that this was about as good as it gets for a pub lunch.Whilst I appreciate that not everyone can go during the week,but if you go at the times when it is very busy at the weekends be prepared to wait,after all this is not a fast food establishment.

Reviewed 4 August 2013

Waited 70 minutes from the time of ordering until the main course arrived. As we were sitting outside we had had to pay for the food at the time of the order. Had we not already paid, we would have left. To be told that the delay was because we had ordered a starter is frankly risible.

2  Thank Andrew F