“Friendly, cosy pub”

The Crown Inn, Linton
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Linton
The Crown Inn, Linton
Ranked #2 of 2 Linton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 February 2013

Although I've never been here in the evening, I'm a regular lunchtime visitor as I work once a week nearby. The usual lunch menu is perfectly adequate whilst not being spectacular - however today I had a particularly good, simple and very well prepared medium-rare steak and chips which I'm told is a recent addition to the daytime food selection (that + a pint for under £10).

Always an excellent pint of Guinness, some good ales and very friendly service. During the winter months there is an open fire, WIFI is also available, and there's a restaurant area out back if you're lucky enough to have more than your lunch hour free... !

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 23 January 2013

Despite the snow to celebrate my birthday we went to the Fitzwilliam Museum in Cambridge and decided to stay in Linton nearby. We turned up early to find the place shut, unfortunately the reception staff hadn't informed us of their traditional hours, so we went to the Dog and Duck down the road for a drink before booking into The Crown. Staff were friendly and we got to our room okay. I was rather apprehensive as I'm just recovering for major major back surgery and didn't know that I had to climb up stairs outside in the snow to reach our room. Luckily everything had been well gritted so there were no safety concerns. The room was spacious, nicely decorated and appointed but cold. Upon relaying this to the staff the Patron/owner went up straight away and sorted out the heating for us. We can only commend how good all the staff and the owner were. Nothing was too much trouble for them. We ate in their restaurant and were very pleased with the food they served, delicious scallops for me, sardines for my husband and a wonderful steak for me cook rare which is just how I like it! It is so difficult to get a rare steak nowadays. In the morning the Patron cooked us a lovely full English and we would definately stay at The Crown Inn again.

Room Tip: If you have a mobility problem ask them about the stairs first - we didn't! But it didn't ma...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 November 2012

This was our first visit here. At first the waitress was put out because we had booked a table for 5 then had to add 2 children to the party. After this was sorted everything was fine. The food was very nice but not a lot of choice. There were 2 in our party who only wanted salad but this is not usually available. The children's meals of chicken nuggets looked very good and of a good quality chicken.

Room Tip: Did not stay here as we live in theis village.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 November 2012

I booked a table for 5 people a few days in advance, on arriving we had 2 extra people, the staff were very accomodating. The kids menu though limited was very good quality. Staff were all very helpful and pleasant and a great time we all had.

Room Tip: Chips very salty.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 November 2012

A lovely friendly, family run pub in the lovely village of Linton. The food is of an extremely high quality and there is something to suit every taste. I would recommend you telephone to book a table though as the restaurant is popular.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 October 2012

My husband and I visited Linton over the weekend of the 20th October and spent some time during the afternoon relaxing in the bar at The Crown Inn.

First impressions were quite good, the fire was blazing and the comforting scent of woodsmoke wafted gently throughout the bar. Steven (I think that's his name) very kindly served us sandwiches and fries even though we were well outside of the 2pm cut-off for bar food - and they were lovely, exactly what we wanted.

The interior of the bar isn't wholly rustic, so doesn't necessarily go all the way to offering the genuine 'country pub' experience. However, that doesn't really matter and is a very minor point in the overall rating.

We'd also booked a table for dinner that evening, so we definitely got to sample plenty of what The Crown has to offer.

The only down side of the afternoon was a group of very, VERY sweary guys standing at the bar - the language was hideous and made for an uncomfortable atmosphere whenever my husband or I went to the bar for a round of drinks. At one point, I almost felt as though they were deliberately trying to make me feel uncomfortable (what other reason would a man openly and loudly use the "c"-word in front of a stranger? It was horrible).

Anyway, by the time we came back for dinner, they had gone and we went into the restaurant at the rear of the pub.

The service was very good indeed and the food exemplary. We didn't have a first course - of which we were glad, as the portions are more than enough and we left extremely satisfied. I had poached salmon with creamed potatoes and could have eaten it twice over. It was simply delicious - and not too "mucked about with" as some gastro-pubs do! My husband had the guinea fowl with linguine and said that too was fabulous.

We both had the (very generous) cheeseboard for dessert and shared a bottle of the house white (a Chilean sauvignon glance, I think it was), as well as a couple of glasses of a very good port with the cheese.

The bill was incredibly reasonable although, shame on us, we had no cash with us to leave a tip, but didn't realise until after we'd settled up by card. With that in mind, and because we'll definitely be retiring to The Crown for dinner at some point in the near future, we shall be sure to tip twice!

Even with the restaurant at full capacity, including a very large party of around fourteen people, the restaurant staff were more than capable. That said, there was a table of four quite near to us who did nothing but complain about absolutely everything - and even had the temerity to take food back to the servery at one point which, in my personal opinion, is both rude and designed only to create something of an air of importance. Unluckily for the woman in question, it served only to make us think she was a complete idiot (loudly tutting and complaining to the room in general and acting like a proper show-off).

However, her ridiculous behaviour did nothing to detract from a wonderful evening at The Crown - we savoured every bite and felt very relaxed and happy when we left.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 September 2012

The crown was on my list of return places to visit and didn't disappoint. Recent renovations to kitchen and dining area are great but again it was the personal service and warmth exhibited to every simgle patron that made the experience so enjoyable.

• Stayed: September 2012

Been to The Crown Inn, Linton? Share your experiences!