“Lovely house and garden with every comfort”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Springfield House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Linton
Springfield House
Ranked #1 of 2 Linton B&B and Inns
Launceston, United Kingdom
“Lovely house and garden with every comfort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2013

A lovely house with very comfortable rooms, and a delightful garden. Good, spacious bedroom. I had read reviews that suggested the bed in the room was soft - nothing of the sort - springy would be my description. The room was too warm for my liking, which was soon sorted by turning down the thermastats, and I slept well. It was the perfect place to stay offering everything I wanted in terms of comfort, as well as a convenient location. Judith is both friendly and very interesting to talk to; not to mention kind. How often do you come away from a B&B with seedlings of a very nice white hellebore? I cannot think of a single thing to fault it for, and will certainly stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Caroline S
Judith R, Owner at Springfield House, responded to this review, 21 April 2013
Hi Caroline,
Thank you do much for taking the time to add your review. So glad you were comfortable on the 'springy' bed. It was great having you to stay and to hear all about the specialist nurserymen you came here to visit. As you discovered there are some lovely gardens around here. It's a long way from Cornwall but do come again.
Judy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2013

Needing accommodation near Cambridge I cam across Springfield House in Sawday's and was so glad I did. I enjoyed it so much I booked another night on my return journey. The house itself is lovely and Judy makes you feel very welcome. I stayed in two different rooms, one with en suite, one not. Both were very nicely appointed, comfortable beds and spotlessly clean. Both had views of the garden and the river. (Extra bonus was that it snowed!) A delicious full breakfast was served at the dining table, which is great if you like meeting other guests. The village itself is a gem, quaint and with two cosy pubs within close walking distance. It is a reasonably quick drive to Cambridge if that is where you are heading. If you are in the area, I would definitely recommend Springfield House. (Tip when you arrive. The driveway is on a bend in a small lane. It is signposted but like me you may miss it if focusing on the Sat Nav and end up turning around when you reach the river!)

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Jonathan C
Judith R, Owner at Springfield House, responded to this review, 31 March 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of your stay here. We are so pleased you were comfortable and enjoyed your walk around the village in the snow and all before breakfast !
We can't promise snow if you do come again but you are assured of a very warm welcome.
Best, Judy
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2013

Had a very nice stay
We had decided to stay out in the country instead of in Cambridge,as b and b s in Cambridge tend to be much more expensive.
This was excellent value, and Judith our hostess was very friendly and attentive without being "in your face"
comfy bed [though very squeaky!] and nice recently revamped bathroom on suite
Good location. Quiet with very little light pollution, so stars were much more visible than in the city
Top pub "The Crown" within short walk. Excellent steak and chips.
Very good breakfast

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Hi John
So glad you enjoyed your weekend in a country house. Definitely one of the benefits of Springfield is the quiet, other than the occasional lion roar from our nearby zoo! Hope you come to visit again.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2012

My husband and I stayed at Springfield House last Saturday, 20th October. It was fine, but, ultimately, (and maybe because we're not used to staying in B&Bs, and will always favour a hotel) it did feel very much like "staying in someone's house".

Judith, the proprietor, had already made us aware that our bathroom facilities were not en-suite, but down the hall. That was absolutely fine, and the bedroom and bathroom were both lovely, very charming and beautifully kept. However, the shower, despite looking for all the world like it'd blow your wig off with it's awesome power, could only manage a sad dribble.

Springfield House is absolutely beautiful, and has that kind of lived-in charm which really does, I imagine, set it apart from some B&Bs which sport poor-quality everything and leave you feeling as though you need a good scrub the second you get back home. Our bedroom was like stepping back in time with lovely old walnut furniture, creaky floorboards and bone china cups and saucers in which to make our own tea and coffee.

The gardens are gorgeous and incredibly quiet - it rained all night when we stayed and the sound of the rain on the little balcony outside was very soothing and we felt safe and warm tucked up in the Edwardian bed under proper sheets and blankets.

We had to leave quite early the following morning, so didn't have time to stay and sample breakfast, and Judith very generously deducted a small amount from our bill to reflect that.

I can't say a bad word about Springfield House because it's beautiful and Judith is obviously a thorough professional when it comes to running a top-notch B&B. It's just that, for us, utmost privacy, ridiculously powerful showers, a bath you could drown a cow in and the ability to order a steak sandwich at 4am come higher up on the priority list (soulless vampires that we are!).

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pastiche005
Judith R, Owner at Springfield House, responded to this review, 16 March 2013
Thank you for your review - i hope you enjoyed the change of pace from what you usually choose. I'm sorry you had a bad experience with the shower, we choose that version because it's meant to be like rain falling - clearly too gently compared with to the rain outside!
Best regards,
Santa Fe NM
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2012

We enjoyed our stay at Springfield House in late May. Our room faced the front garden, a beautiful view. The room was spacious and the bed was ok, on the soft side. The bathroom was large, no shower, but a nice bath with lots of hot water, the heaters were a nice touch. Breakfast was very nice, all cooked to order. A stroll in the gardens is recommended. Linton is a very nice village, worth at least a day on its own; look into the walks and footpaths, brochures in the room and downstairs; we enjoyed it immensely. A couple of nice pubs in town for meals, the Crown Inn was our favorite, just a short (3 min) walk. We would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: If you must have a shower, ask for a room with access to one.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Charliie2109
Hi Charlie,
Thank you for your very kind review and i'm so glad you had time to enjoy the garden and the village. I've actually just renovated the en-suite bathroom to the room you stayed in, so it's now complete with shower and bath. If you ever find yourself back here, I hope you come again.
Best wishes,
Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2012

Springfiled House is convenient located to Cambridge. It's a large rambling house situated in beautiful gardens.
The owner, Judy, is a very charming and warm host. She ensured that our 2 day stay was comfortable and pleasant.
Our room was large overlooking the courtyard part of her garden.
The bathroom was also large, with plenty of hot water.
The full English breakfast was excellent and served in a beautiful dining room.
My only 'complaint' was that the bed was a little too soft for my wife and I.
We both strongly recommend Springfield House.

Room Tip: Try the Black Bull in nearby Basham for a meal.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank WestbrookMelbourne
Hi,
Thank you very much for your kind review - i'm so glad you enjoyed the house and garden. I agree the bed in that room is on the soft side. If you do come again - do remind me and i'll put you in one of the rooms with a firm mattress.
Best regards,
Chippenham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2011

Stayed here for two nights with my husband, Judith, was friendly & welcoming and our room was large, clean & warm. The bed was very soft but then I’m used to a firm mattress. Breakfast in the dining room was very nice and it was no problem to sit at a nicely laid table with other guests. I would certainly stay there again if we visited the area and I would recommend it to others.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AuntEek2011
Judith R, Owner at Springfield House, responded to this review, 16 March 2013
Thank you very much for your nice review. I hope you do come again.
Best, Judith
Also consider these accommodations in or near Linton
The Crown House
#1 of 2 in Bartlow
The Black Bull Balsham
The Black Bull Balsham
#1 of 2 in Balsham

Been to Springfield House? Share your experiences!