“DO NOT GO THERE - ITS HORRIBLE!!!”
Review of Dorset House

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Little Shelford
Dorset House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Little Shelford
Reviewed 16 August 2010

You have to pay too much, you do not have the right to use your room during daytime and it seems that the owner hates children: She shouted at the children just for playing outside.
The owner told us that this house is "a traditional bed and breakfast". I wonder if this implicate that guest are not welcome, the owners er unfrindly and aggressive. It was such a nasty surprise that we had to leave, just horrible.

11  Thank familytraveller59
poppycambs, Owner at Dorset House, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2010

The last three reviews were in one party,booked in by a local relation of theirs.After speaking to me the night before and asking him to bring the guests to check in between four thirty and seven arrived with people for two rooms at two o clock.When i found out the party was that evening i said they could stay to have a rest until they went out as they had travelled from Germany.A lot of muttering in german was going on,i felt a little uneasy in my own home.The problem came from the family who except from the father did not arrive until bedtime.In the morning he said he wanted to come back at lunchtime with the toddler for a sleep.I said i would still be doing the rooms as my helper was sick and i would expect guests to vacate untill late afternoon.I explained we were a traditional family b/b which did mean unless wanting to get changed for weddings etc should give us space to turn the rooms around and draw breath.He wes very disagreeable,i said why could the child not have a nap the at the relations house,or in his pushchair.The three rooms of people decided to find somewhere else for the last two nights.I went to do the rooms and the family who had only been in the room a few hours had put blood over my lovely duvet cover and trodden biscuit in the carpet.My husband and i breathed a sigh of relief We were lucky enough to fill the three rooms with friendly agreeable guests and a nice atmosphere returned to Dorset House.

Reviewed 16 August 2010

We turned up and she hurried us in, demanding extremely rudely that we wipe our feet properly and leave our shoes outside the room. She then told us we could not use our rooms between 10am and 5pm even though travelling with very young children. We had no idea why.. as we had payed for the room! which was also extremely over priced for the service you actually got! the rudest landlady we have ever encountered in all our travels and we are very surprised that she can make a living in the hospitality business as she is not in the least hospitable! her husband seemed friendly, it would be a better business if she left it to him. We would not recommend this B&B to anybody and have already told many of our local friends to avoid this place at all costs!!

6  Thank A87221C
Reviewed 14 August 2010

The owner obviously felt bad about having guests. She would not grant access to our rooms during the day despite we have a 1 year old baby. I´ver never experienced anyone more unfriendly.
We left - even tough we were a group of 9 we rather took the effort to find another place - it was just horrible.
On top of that all, rooms were small, they had no bathrooms, and the price was far too high.
Seriously, I am a frequent traveller, but this has been the very worst experience ever.

5  Thank DSOnAc3P
Reviewed 8 June 2010

I didn't hate it but if I could choose to go somewhere else, yes I would give it a try. It was set in a pretty good place in relevance to the park & ride in Trumpington. The breakfast is quit good too the eggs are from there own chickens but personally I thought that the sausages were pretty good as well. But I think the rooms weren't very nice we stayed in the attic which was rather small for three people and the television was quite small and I didn't really like having to share a bathroom with other people. If you want to find a place to stay for a couple of nights but your not on a really tight budget this is a good place

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 May 2010

A very unfriendly welcome which rapidly became just plain rude. We felt unable to stay even though our children were ready for bed.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank Sybilfawlty_10
Reviewed 2 October 2009

Situated in a pretty location convenient for Cambridge, this guest house was spotlessly clean and the facilities were good for the price. The proprietors were friendly and helpful and there were good local pubs for evening food. It is fairly close to the M11; so there was some road noise, but not enough to worry us inside the house. We certainly slept better here than we have anywhere except home. All in all we thought it was very good value.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 September 2009

We have given full marks to this guest house, it's in a lovely area close to Cambridge, not far from Stanstedand and very close to the Duxford air field. Excellent breakfast in a lovely sunny positioned dinning room, enough to last throughout the day. The owners are very friendly, and go out of their way to be of assistance.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple

Been to Dorset House? Share your experiences!