“Dreadful lunchtime”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Melbourn
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Dreadful lunchtime”
Reviewed 17 July 2012

I admit that it was a Tuesday lunchtime and so not possibly the most popular of times to go. I frequented this place when Steven Saunders owned it about 6 years ago and it was great. First impressions: Bar was very shabby and nobody to serve you, unwelcoming on arrival. The garden was full of duck mess, the tables outside were wet and not set for lunch. There were no ashtrays outside for smokers. My avocado starter was small and sickly and my steak was tasteless, so much so that I bought it home for the cats.....say no more. Wine - average. I cancelled my desert order and left. Never again .................. in fairness the staff were trying to be helpful.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Liz W
sheenemillreception, Owner at Sheene Mill, responded to this review, 5 February 2013
We are the new owners of The Sheene Mill since 2/1/2013 and we are dedicated to transforming the building back to its former glory.

We are really sorry to hear that your stay wasn't as fantastic as we would expect. We have watched the building decline over the years as we live locally. Now we have the opportunity to fix all the things that were done wrong in the past... and we have already done a great deal in a short space.

I really hope that you can come and try us again.

Regards

Serena & Jordan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Ashburton, New Zealand
Reviewed 7 July 2012

This hotel does some things very well, but other areas could do with attention. I would not choose to go back here to stay.

On the good side:
* Good first impressions with a nice setting in the bar and restaurant.
* All staff were very professional, attentive and helpful.
* A nice menu with tasty meals.
* Reasonable price for accomodation.
* On first glance the room seemed modern and tidy.

On the not so good side:
* Patrons in the restautant/bar enjoyed the setting outside beside the pond in the warm summer evening. This was just below my room and made it very noisy late into the night.
* A low roofline and beams in my room made it awkward for a tall person to get around the room.
* My room had a bath only, no shower. I find this less than ideal when travelling for business.
* The mattress was lumpy and not very comfortable.
* On closer inspection the furnishing were tired. An old cushion on the bed could have done with a wash or be replaced.

I'd like to give this hotel a better rating but sadly the downsides were too great.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank RDF51080
London
Reviewed 11 June 2012 via mobile

My husband and I held our wedding reception at Sheene Mill on the 19th of May and it was absolutely fantastic! As others have said, Emma (and Hope in the later stages) were brilliant organisers and they really thought of everything. All our guests commented on what a lovely venue Sheene Mill was; especially the beautiful grounds and delicious, hearty food. The rooms, although a little tired in parts (excepting the bridal suite which is gorgeous), are a good size and comfortable, plus they are great value for the Cambridge area. I wouldn't hesitate in reccommending the venue for any occasion, be it a meal, weekend stay or a wedding. Thanks to all the staff there for making it the best weekend for our lives. Anna and Matt

Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lovetravelling71
England
Reviewed 5 June 2012

Arrived mid afternoon and was pleased with the location and weather.
Shown to our room - The Emmanuel Room designed by David Emmanuel - unfortunately quite a few years ago - very tired and cheap looking. Finishing touches done cheaply and not properly, stained carpet too. Screen door between bedroom and bathroom so no privacy whatsoever!! The only plus points were the lovely view and the comfy bed.
Nice bar/conservatory area.
Our evening meal was ok - nothing special though. Again the restaurant area is very tired and lacking atmosphere. The owners here are missing out on a great opportunity to get themselves a superb little hotel/restaurant. Some decoration, re-organisation and paint would make such a difference.
The staff on the otherhand were very helpful and couldn't do enough for us which was nice.
Wouldn't stay here again though as too expensive for what it is - 10 years out of date - but soooo much potential.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple

I really hope that you can come and try us again.

Regards

Serena & Jordan
Haverhill, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2012

We have just had our wedding at Sheene Mill and we really have had the best day of our lives. The staff are absolutely fantastic, Emma our wedding co-ordinator has been so helpful and so quick to reply to my many pre wedding emails which has helped so much. All of our guests have commented on how beautiful the venue is and we were so lucky with the weather we able to have our ceremony outside next to the full river and really take advantage of the stunning grounds. The food was fantastic and again we have had our guests comment on how lovely it was. I would recommend this venue to anyone, it really is beautiful. Thank you to Emma and all the staff at Sheene Mill for making our day perfect.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Stevenage, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2012

My husband and I got married on the 6th May at Sheene Mill. It was fantastic, some of our guests booked in for the saturday and sunday night and everyone commented on how fantastic the staff were, the setting was beautiful with the river, the rooms were lovely, clean and spacious and the food was outstanding.

Emma and Hope our wedding co ordinators were fantastic and made our day so special. The service couldn't be faulted, all of the staff were amazing and we couldn't have asked anymore from them.

I would recommend this hotel to everyone, whether they are looking for a room for the night, an evening out as the restaurant is amazing or even for a beautiful wedding setting. It caters for everything.

Room Tip: all rooms are lovely, clean and spacious
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Cambridge, UK
Reviewed 8 May 2012

I am getting married at the end of September in a village near to Sheene Mill. On the way back from a meeting at our wedding venue we visited Sheene Mill to look at the quality of the rooms with a view to booking all of the rooms for us and our immediate family on the night of our wedding. I had rang the night before and was told all rooms were available on the night I wanted. When we looked around Sheene Mill we were told all rooms were available and during email correspondence after we were still told all rooms were available. We also wanted some rooms the night before our wedding and this wasn't mentioned to be a problem. I rang to secure the booking by giving my credit card details which were taken without hesitation. I then get the following email:
'I’ve just checked the system & unfortunately on the 21st we are fully booked as we have an event. However all rooms are available for the 22nd September.'
It was annoying that the night before was booked up but never mind,
I then get another email a few moments later:
'Sorry it’s me again,
It’s a good job I have checked as it hasn’t been put on our system, the Friday & the Saturday are booked out, one being an event & the other a wedding.'
Quite frankly I am disgusted that my credit card details were taken and availability was only double checked after. I feel completely mislead. The incompetence and disorganisation of the Sheene Mill staff has wasted a great deal of my time, something you are short of when planning a wedding! I pity the couple who have booked Sheene Mill for their actual wedding. Secretly I am quite glad to now have an excuse to stay somewhere nicer on my wedding night, we were happy to stay there because of the proximity to our wedding venue and the cheap rooms (we asked if they could offer us a better rate and were offered £80 a night-so always worth asking if they will give you this price). Do not be deceived by the photographs on their website, the hotel is actually quite tired. I await a promised phone call from the manager to assure me that my credit card details have not been misused.

Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank FigNewton86
Also consider these accommodations in or near Melbourn
Duxford Lodge
The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel
The Gonville Hotel
The Gonville Hotel
#2 of 36 in Cambridge

Been to Sheene Mill? Share your experiences!