“Let me tell you about the Restaurant”
Review of Sheene Mill

Sheene Mill
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Melbourn
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Well, ok. Yeah, let me tell you about this place.

Seems to be run by a young, slightly scary couple. I'm being mean here, they were nice. The woman is very well made up you see, a little bit too much, like if I were to strike a match she'd go up in one huge fireball. Haha, no, I'm joking. But hey I'm in Melbourn, this place is for rich farmers with an NVQ in horticulture or something.

The food.. .yeah... I'm sure it was good, I don't remember it that well but I had no complaints. The table was clearly outdoor furniture with a fancy table cloth, set in a poorly designed conservatory extension. But did that detract from our evening? Maybe my evening but no one else's.

Something really stole the show for me, something that bought this place a 4 star rating from me (which is a good rating, thanks in advance) which was the swan. I basically never donate to charity but I did donate to this swan's fund. He provided me with endless entertainment as I sat for what seemed like an aeon in the waiting lounge (waiting for my table). He pecked the glass, danced around, generally demanded attention. I imagine if you went outside into the child's scrapbook of a garden with its garish purple and green lights, you'd swiftly have your behind kicked by this bad bad swan.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Jean H
sheenemillreception, Owner at Sheene Mill, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2013

Jean,

Thanks for your review. I hope I'm not the scary owner you mentioned lol... I don't think we are as you visited us in October 2012 and we only took over in January 2013.

Well the good news is that lots of things have happened since your visit. We still have "Will" the Swan, the food has got even better with new menus, the rooms have all received some TLC and I'm sure that we would now get that 5 star rating from you!

We hope to see you again!

Regards

Adam Jordan
(Owner)

Reviewed 12 September 2013

We recently celebrated at the Sheen Mill for lunch prior to going on holiday from Stansted. It is a lovely spot, a beautifully furnished dining room, with a simple elegance. Stunning views over the lovely rear gardens and pond. The table decorations and floral arrangements contribute to a very refined atmosphere. The menu is extensive and the dishes very well balanced (we didn't opt for side dishes, they really weren't needed). Each plate was beautifully presented and the food imaginatively arranged with excellent use of edible flowers to make the plates look especially pretty. The produce was of the highest quality and they are proud to name their suppliers. The service was fine, but not especially warm on this occasion (that said they were preparing for a large wedding reception). The desserts were particularly delicious (I have a very sweet tooth). All in all it was a lovely place for a celebration. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank creteboy
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Went for lunch to celebrate my birthday and everything was perfect, including the weather.
The meal was superb, the setting fantastic and the service excellent. We will certainly visit again. I recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for a special treat.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 August 2013

My boyfriend came up trumps by arranging two nights at this hotel and proposing to me! He couldn't have found a better place at which to do it. It's a beautiful old property in wonderful surroundings ... so romantic! The staff were young, friendly and professional (the barman even stopped to say hello when driving past us in the village on our last morning!). The restaurant food was beautifully presented and delicious.

My new fiancé has done me proud! I wonder if he'll now arrange the wedding ...

Room Tip: The hotel is under new management and I believe the rooms are gradually being refurbished. We overl...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Louise77734
Reviewed 19 August 2013

My son had his wedding at the Sheene Mill recently. The setting was stunning, the staff headed by the wedding co ordinator were delightful, giving excellent service throughout the day and at breakfast the next morning. The all helped to make it a memorable occasion for all our family and friends.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 August 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at The Sheene Mill. The staff were all smiles and couldn't have been more helpful, the room was delightful and I was lucky enough to enjoy a view of the pretty millpond. The glamourous young proprietors were on hand to offer a truly personal service and dinner was absolutely delicious. I loved the quirky building with it's cosy lounge and in contrast it's contemporary outside seating area with cushioned corner sofa to enjoy the charming gardens. Although there was a little noise from the nearby road, this is completely outweighed by all other aspects and I would recommend this establishment without hesitation.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 August 2013

-Room advertised as being superior & designed by David Emanuel probably was a many years ago know looks tired .Bathroom um if you want privacy while you take your morning ablutions there is none the bathroom door consists of a latice work double swing door not practical at all.
- Bottom sheet was stained with a dried wet patch ! nice.
-Breakfast .....Be warned if you are asuming that you will receive a full english which is included in the B&B price you will be wrong an additional £5.95 will be charged.You will be offerd the continental breakfast consisting of a 2 poached eggs on toat and a Selection of cold meats nil void unless asked for, crossants burnt , danish pastries undeliverd so nil void ! need i say more .
Over all felt total ripped off and miss sold 2 night stay B & B £230.

Room Tip: Superior rooms are not.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Finleysnana

Thank you so much for your review.

We have made several changes since your visit which I am sure you would be delighted with. We hope that you return to see the changes!

The Emmanuel suite has had significant investment to ensure that it is up to our high standards. All breakfast options are now included with your staff... for FREE.

I am sure that with the changes made a visit in the future would delight a great deal more.

Regards

Adam Jordan

Also consider these accommodations in or near Melbourn
Quy Mill Hotel & Spa, Cambridge, BW Premier Collection
Duxford Lodge
#1 of 1 in Duxford
10 mi away
The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel

Been to Sheene Mill? Share your experiences!