“Most enjoyable Sunday lunch”
Review of Sheene Mill

Sheene Mill
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Melbourn
Reviewed 16 December 2013

We revisited after a gap of some 5 years or so. We were delighted to find that the decline in standards previously experienced had been halted that the current management have clearly made great strides in returning to the excellence for which Sheene Mill had become known in the days of Steven Saunders.
The food was beautifully presented, plentiful & full of flavour. Service was good despite being delivered by ,judging by their age, relatively inexperienced staff. However, their keenness to please was appreciated.
This visit was something of a "reccy" for a Sunday lunch venue to share with friends. Suffice to say we will be returning

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 12 December 2013

The title is all I need to say. We had looked at several venues and this ticked all the boxes from the welcome you receive when you arrive to the excellent service. We haven't eaten there yet but the menu looks amazing.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 December 2013

A wonderful evening.Great atmosphere
The food was delicious and hot served on hot plates
Service very at tentative although a couple of staff showed signs of inexperience.
A great local restaurant that I would definitely visit again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 December 2013

I have been staying at this fabulous old Mill for many years, and since it has been under new management it has changed so much for the better. The building is what it is, full of character, and just in such a wonderful location on a secret lake. The young couple who have now run it for nearly a year have put so much effort into restoring it to its former glory. They still have lots to do, but they have now got a great chef, so I look forward to my meals there whenever I stay.

I often entertain my local customers and colleagues at The Mill. We have had some great nights, in the summer on the deck by the lake, being entertained by the crazy swan William and now come winter sat by he open fires. Sadly I will not be down again before Christmas, but had the Christmas menu plus a few extras last week....so much fun.

My daughter is getting married at The Mill in the spring, so we shall be back!!! She seems to be hooked n the spa ESSE across the road, so make sure you bring your wallet guys!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 December 2013

I have visited The Sheene Mill a number of times over the past few months for one reason or another and every time, I have been delighted with something new. I was lucky enough to attend a friends Wedding and the day was simply sublime, the grounds are just perfect for a sunny Summers day and despite there being over 100 guests the food and service could not have been faulted. I since went for a lunch with a couple of girlfriends and the selection of menu choice was very impressive, we wanted a nice lunch bite and we got exactly that and were able to sit in the Conservatory which had a great buzz about the place. With having such good experiences I have booked a group of friends in for our annual Christmas dinner on one of their Party Nights and we are all vey excited.
The Venue has so much to offer and if they continue in the direction they are going then I will certainly become a regular visitor.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 December 2013

I phoned and told the hotel that I would be a late check-in, at around 10:00pm. On arrival at that time, the front door was locked and it was below zero outside. I hammered on the door, tried the doorbell which did not seem to work. After several attempts, I finally resorted to phoning, but the person who answered assured me that the door was unlocked, but this proved to be wrong. Eventually a woman arrived who let me in, saying she had watched me on CCTV and could see that I was stuck outside, because another guest had probably locked the door. It transpired that the woman was one of the owners of the hotel, but she did not inspire me with any great professionalism.
The rest of the stay was ok, but the English breakfast was not of the standard that I had experienced on previous stays, with, for example, strangely unattractive poached eggs obviously cooked in an egg-shaped mould, but not pleasant on toast. The dining room was cold both for breakfast and dinner.
No one seemed interested in any feedback, and I am unlikely to return!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Ashburtonfirst
sheenemillreception, Owner at Sheene Mill, responded to this reviewResponded 15 December 2013

Thank you for your review. We are currently investigating a way in which we can have easier out of hours access for residents.

Reviewed 24 November 2013

Visited for Sunday lunch for my Father's 80th birthday. We know the venue well having lived in the area for many many years and having used it numerous times for special occasions. After today, we will never go back. The food was utterly awful, a parsnip soup starter had the consistency and appearance of cold custard, was luke warm and heavily flavoured with Apple which was far too sweet and actually inedible. My father ordered the scallop starter, again disappointing - just one scallop on a huge plate dressed with an insipid green purée. Three of the party had fish cakes which arrived on a bed of purple purée which was unrecognisable, and the fish cakes had nothing to bind then into shape and was served as a mess of mixed fish. My husband had something in his that was pure salt and left him with an unquenchable thirst. As for my nephew, his starter arrived close to 10 minutes after everyone else's, unacceptable. The roasts would have been great if they had not been served - wait for it - on a bed of orange (parsnip?) purée which completely overpowered the taste of everything else. My nephew had requested that his meal was served plain with no purée, but that request was ignored. His plate was taken away to be changed but all that had happened was that his meat and potatoes had been lifted off and replated, unfortunately the purée had stuck to his food which meant he hardly ate anything. The service was poor, incredibly inexperienced staff who constantly reached over us to clear items from the table, quite intrusive when you are trying to talk. We did comment about the soup and i was told that the server also thought it was too sweet, but that the chef had said that was how it was!! A replacement was offered, but too late when the rest of the party had finished their starters. The bill came with an optional service charge applied, which we asked to be taken off. I would have thought that that might have given a clue that all was not well, but no one bothered to ask and the young waiter just appeared embarrassed and relieved that we were leaving. The restaurant sorely misses an experienced maître'd capable of organising and running the restaurant - the setting is lovely but nothing we experienced during our visit matched up to that. I eat at some of the best London restaurants and would conclude that the chef also lacks experience and feels that serving everything up on a purée which might look pretty, is all you need to do to have food accepted and charged at a premium -wrong, you need to get the basics right first. Sunday lunch in many pubs far surpasses the experience at Sheene Mill. After nearly 30 years of patronage, we will never go back.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank JanisLo
sheenemillreception, Owner at Sheene Mill, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2013

We are very saddened to hear that you do not intend to return to The Sheene Mill and would like to apologise for the fact that your experience clearly wasn’t up to our usual standards.

The Soup you refer to was a Parsnip and Apple Soup, there is no denying that it is a sweet soup, with the sweetness of the Parsnip and the Sourness of the apple, this Soup is not always to everyone’s liking, some people Love it, but I do understand that it clearly wasn’t to your taste and we apologise for that. It is for this reason that we offered the alternative Plum Tomato & Thyme Soup both on the Menu and as an alternative when you mentioned you didn’t like the soup at the time.

It has to be said that we do only serve one Scallop on our Set Price Sunday Lunch Menu, we do detail that there is one Scallop on the Menu to avoid disappointment and the Scallop provided is always a Hand Dived Fresh, King Scallop, last Sunday this was served on a broad bean and white truffle puree.

The Fishcake is a Salmon, Cod, Lemon & Tarragon Fishcake on a Beetroot Puree and Wilted Spinach, the Fishcakes are bonded with potato, however do not have breadcrumbs as typical fishcakes may, keeping them I believe more ‘tasty’ and appetizing to our Gluten Free clients too.

The Roasts were severed on a Butternut Squash Puree last Sunday, I do understand that this may seem slightly puree heavy and I will most certainly bear this in mind when creating the Menu next Sunday, we currently change our Sunday Menu weekly and always try to add Seasonal Vegetables to add a point of difference and some colour to the plates. The Starters usually consist of the bestselling specials/ A’la Carte dishes from the previous week.

Looking at our system I can see that a note was made regarding your nephews puree, so I can only apologise if somehow this note was missed by the Chef. He has assured me though, that the entire dish was re-created on an alternative plate without Puree, so I’m unsure as to how the Puree seemed to appear on the bottom of your nephews food and will look into finding an explanation for this.

I did actually come over to your table myself, twice during your Main Course to ask if your meal was ok, however unfortunately I was not informed of any problems, so could not do anything to amend the situation.

To be honest there were two New members of staff in on training on Sunday, working alongside our Restaurant Supervisor and Head Waitress. I am aware that unfortunately you did settle you bill with our newest member of staff, who was only on his second shift and had not yet had to deal with any issues like this. He was nervous when you asked for the Service charge to be removed, I believe he panicked and his biggest concern became how to remove this charge, other than questioning why in fact it was being removed. He did come and find me immediately after, however unfortunately this was too late and I had missed you by then. I did try to call your landline number the next day to make sure everything was ok, but unfortunately did not manage to get through to you.

Our Chef has worked in various 2 Rosette, Michelin Star & high quality establishments previously, so does not lack in experience. However I can only apologise once again if it did come across this way.

I can assure you that we have taken all of your comments on board and hope to be able to develop further with this in mind.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Melbourn
Quy Mill Hotel & Spa, Cambridge, BW Premier Collection
Hilton Cambridge City Centre
The Gonville Hotel
The Gonville Hotel
#2 of 36 in Cambridge

Been to Sheene Mill? Share your experiences!